General question on timecode

Hi all,

I have a general question regarding timecode sync and using a FireWire enabled board to record to a computer setup to help me decide how to cover my next show.

If I stick with my usual 744/788 setup timecode I understand how to maintain sync in single/multi camera situations.

What do I need to do if I use a FireWire enabled mixer into a laptop/computer? Is there issues I need to he aware of inregards to FireWire bandwidth, latency or other? Am I correct in thinking that I need to insert timecode via to recording software using midi word clock? How reliable is this? Can I feed this from my 744? What recording software do forum members use?

Apologies if these are issues raised here before. I'm trying to get my head around it.

If you are going to continue to have the 744 or the 788 in your rig all you need to add a computer-based recorder to your rig in sync is use a set of analog-to-digital convertors (ie a Firewire interface) that will input the clock output of the SD recorders (whichever is master).  That makes the sample rates match exactly.  Getting an accurate timestamp onto the files the computer makes requires inputting the TC (also from the master SD recorder I would recommend) to where ever the recording app can see it--using the computer's own audio input or one of the analog inputs of the FW interface (and then tell the interface and app where the TC is, however that works in the interface and app you use).  We've had a lot of discussion here about the relative necessity of clocking a digital mixer that is also the FW interface (convertors) to an accurate clock source and how to do this.  You might want to search for those threads.  The general run of opinion currently is that the (not very accurate) clocks in mixers such as the Yamaha 01v96 or Mackie Onyx  as ok for takes the length of which are ormally encountered in dramatic location filming (ie under 10 min or so) but are inadequate for situations where takes must be much longer (concert/show/reality TV) etc..  (The Yamaha can be externally clocked if you want.)  When using those mixers getting the TC to your recording app would be the same drill

Philip Perkins

Chris,

A few questions, what mixer and what computer recording software will you be using?

The simplest way to get time code in to your computer recording software is through an analogue input of that software. Programs such as Metacorder and Boom Recorder see that signal and recognize it as time code.

I'm not sure where your master time code originates from, but if it is either the 744 or the 788 - just split the time code out from one of those devices and send it into your computer software.

I split my time code through a Whirlwind line splitter from my Denecke GR1 (master TC clock) to my Deva 5 and into an audio input of my Fireface 400 and in turn through the firewire input to my Mac-Mini recording on Boom Recorder.

Regards,

RL

Another option is to bring your time code in on USB either with the Ambient master clock or a USB XLR adapter as you wont loose a channel of audio if you need it.

Does that work on Mac/AU?

I know it wouldn't on a PC, because you can't record from two sources (unless they use one ASIO driver, usually meaning they are from the same manufacturer and that they are built for this purpose).

Boom Recorder and Metacorder are looking for TC from an audio input--the way we save the input on our interfaces is to bring the TC in via the Mac's own audio input (mini).  I don't know how you'd work this on a PC, partly since neither of these apps (the to most used around here) will run on PCs.

Philip Perkins

Yes according to the spec page on the Metacorder page

http://metacorder.info/

They recommend this

http://www.gallery.co.uk/metacorder/ambient.html

Boom Recorder also supports this workflow

Currently the only option available from Ambient is the ACC501

Scott I think the Ambient 501 box is USB in only, not USB out (from the spec).  The page about an Ambient box on the Metacorder website is very old, and the box in question has never been released, to my knowledge (it would be cool if it was), or that's what Mark Gilbert said the last time I asked (last year).  The Mac audio input is how everyone I know using Metacorder works--with the option of using an input on the interface if you need its TC generator to be driven as well.

Philip Perkins

a firmware update allows the 501 to send TC out.

http://download.ambient.de/Ambient%20products/clockit/ACC501/software/ACC501_Version%20history.rtf

I will have to go and check, but I'm not sure Metacorder can take TC in via USB in the current version anyhow--I haven't seen it done. BR I don't know about. 

Philip Perkins

I will have to go and check, but I'm not sure Metacorder can take TC in via USB in the current version anyhow--I haven't seen it done. BR I don't know about. 

Philip Perkins

I asked Mark Gilbert (of Gallery Software) about this:

>>ACC501 sends MTC via USB.

I dont believe MC supports MTC, although some other products we make do, and have been tested with ACC501

For MC, Stick to Audio LTC which is tried and tested - that's my advice,

Best regards

Mark Gilbert<<<<

Philip Perkins

I asked both Mark Gilbert and Chris Price from Ambient about Metacorder reading the timecode from the ACC501 in May 2006.

Ambient had originally proposed a small USB timecode generator but decided to concentrate on the new ACC501 Master Controller which featured MTC timecode out on one of the USB ports.

At Mark's suggestion, I downloaded the demo of Gallery's Virtual VTR and verified that the Gallery technology and the Ambient Controller were working. Virtual VTR read the MTC timecode fine although looking back at my past e-mails, there was a bug in the ACC501 Controller the resulted in incorrect frame rate identification. This was fixed by Chris Price within a few days. So the technology is available but I don't believe it was ported over to Metacorder

I use the line in on my Mac Mini for timecode input which I source from my 744T or an Ambient Lockit.

David Madigan