Sonosax SX-M32

Trey LaCroix

In my opinion, they sound fantastic.  Particularly clear in the midrange and highs, to my ears anyway.  Nice limiters, hirose power input. With the direct output option you can have all three inputs output as unbalanced (pre and post fader) from a 7 pin xlr on the mixer.  I purchased two identically configured mixers earlier this year for fx recording.  They have both input and output limiters, similar to sound devices mixers like the 442 or 302.  I might be willing to let one go because I'm pretty over budget on gear in 2017, but it would depend on the configuration you're looking for. 

5 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

As a preamp that goes into the 688 for when I have a cabled boom. I think my 688 preamps sound great, but there’s something about the sound of the pres in all of the sonosax mixers I’ve used that I just love.

Yes sure. I was referring to Mike's suggestion to use a 633. which seems an odd choice to use as a front-end to the 688

Hello,

I own 2 SX-M32, the first bought in 2011 and the second bought in 2012 .

They have a lot of gain, the preamps are quiet and sound extremely good with most microphones, particularly with Neumann microphones .

The preamps are superior to that of any Sound Devices product I have used (all of them), except for the 788 preamps, which can compete the SX-M32 ones .

The sound of the SX-M32 is full and has a very good definition, allowing the "personality" of each microphone to be clearly heard .

The variable high-pass filters are very useful and efficient .

This is for the most positive aspects of the SX-M32 .

Now the less positive aspects .

The limiters are not famous, the output limiters are really destructive for the transients, and the (fixed )treshold of the input limiters is set too high, with loud sounds they won't prevent audible saturation .

The power consumption is very high .

The build quality is clearly inferior to that of Sound Devices, don't expect the legendary swiss quality here .

For the reliability, I can only speak about my own experience, but it was not good, my mixers had to go back to Switzerland several times .

From my personal experience with these little mixer, I would say that it's a good choice if great sound quality is your absolute priority (except for the limiters), but for the rest I think it can't  match the Sound Devices products for build quality and reliability ...

There was a prototype being shown at the recent Sonosax 40 year anniversary of a two channel ADC DAC aes in and out with the same mic amps as the sxr4+, headphone outs and also usb to use as a computer interface in and out. Richard Thomas has pictures and showed us, you could pm him here. The box is very small so could be used instead to replace two mic amps on the 688. Its called the SX-M2D2 not sure when due for release and may be revised as a few of us have requested such a unit for expansion on the SXR4+ but smaller and less inputs than the 8 channel unit they have for sale now.

Lisala

I had one for awhile.   I found the functionality of 633 blew it out of the water.  It sounds great but it comes at a price, power.   Very power hungry and purchased a audio GLE-12W DC-DC converter to deal with ground loops....   I wanted to pair it with my SX-R4 but it just did not complement the recorder well.  Too clunky and too many cables compared to an all in one solution- 633 etc...  

I’d look at it as a nicer sounding 302 with more functionality (direct outs and AES3), rather than any kind of alternative to the 688. I’ve still got mine- it sounds lovely still, but the R4+ preamps are up a notch on these I’d say

The SX-M2D2 looks like it’s pretty much exactly what you’re after (it’s also *tiny*), but still in development and I doubt it’ll be available before the end of the year. I’ve attached some photos of the prototype casing, but it may well change (they were looking at changing the controls and putting them on the shorter side)

A06A3D27-B7CF-4987-8534-FCBAE0B330E8.jpeg

5CED3AD5-91D3-4608-B26B-EC9F089F7026.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 5:58 AM, Richard Thomas said:

I’d look at it as a nicer sounding 302 with more functionality (direct outs and AES3), rather than any kind of alternative to the 688. I’ve still got mine- it sounds lovely still, but the R4+ preamps are up a notch on these I’d say

The SX-M2D2 looks like it’s pretty much exactly what you’re after (it’s also *tiny*), but still in development and I doubt it’ll be available before the end of the year. I’ve attached some photos of the prototype casing, but it may well change (they were looking at changing the controls and putting them on the shorter side)

Hello Richard,

Has Sonosax released a tentative availability date for the SX-M2D2?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Just bought an m32 second-hand and very excited to get it, mainly for the preamps and the digital out. Not intended as a primary mixer more of like a utility thing and killer pre’s when needed with direct outs. Plan to keep it forever. 

other than power hungry, build not as tank-like as sound devices, etc anything else i should watch out for? Saw there was a place in oregon if i am not mistaken that can possibly service it in the usa should i ever need it or possibly mod it (although previous owner custom ordered it with all the options i could ever need for my purposes).