NEW SMWB and SMDWB Lectrosonic units Announced..

afewmoreyears

I wish simply for a nice transmitting unit only..... at a better price point....  Or, a functioning recorder option for the price offered, with 48k and time code... 

The unit as it stands I hope we are not paying for the extra recording option that I will most likely never use...  If the recording option costs no more, than so be it... 

I am just happy these  SMWB have arrived... Thanks you Lectrosonics...!

I am replacing all my wireless and did not want to pull the trigger on the LTs... They were a bit too big and square for us...

I did pull the  trigger this morning on these...

14 hours ago, Derek H said:

Zaxcom has a patent on recording wireless. This explains the limited record functionality on this new SM

I think to be strictly accurate... Zaxcom has a patent on a 'virtual multitrack' system, but I dont want to hijack this thread......

sb

6 hours ago, daniel said:

I imagine the 'either/or' situation is a firmware upgrade away from being 'either/both'.  As to what might result in that particular firmware update, yahweh only knows.

True, I have my fingers crossed this Zaxcom patent won't be upheld in the courts and we'll see a firmware update soon (although sadly I kinda doubt it will get 48KHz, as that is a hardware issue it has been mentioned?! Not sure). 

And at the very least, all ones sold outside the USA won't have any such limitation?! 

In regards to a future firmware update that would allow the unit to transmit and record at the same time, I have been told that this would not be physically possible and due to the patent wont happen. Even in other territories such as the EU this is the same case.

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And at the very least, all ones sold outside the USA won't have any such limitation?! 

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

No. The patent applies to all products sold in the US and to US products sold anywhere. That's how Gordon explained it in the other thread

5 hours ago, NathanWBS said:

In regards to a future firmware update that would allow the unit to transmit and record at the same time, I have been told that this would not be physically possible and due to the patent wont happen. Even in other territories such as the EU this is the same case.

Well I'm sure lectro know what they are doing. As it stands I think the 'either/or' is quite a good move. The p48 option on a recording belt pack like the A10 is about as good as it gets right now though imho. Arguably the thing missing on that 1 is the ability for a boom op to monitor directly from the TX, ironically the only 1 I know which does this is the humbly priced rode newsshooter (which is a plug-on).