Sewing Lavs into Wardrobe

Tim Forrest

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 8:36 PM, Tim Forrest said:

Was wondering if anyone has had experience with wardrobe sewing mic positions and transmitter pack pockets into costumes? Like COS-11s into white tank top t's? 

Yes, a lot of experience. Particularly sewing in Sankens into wife beaters.

Sewing is not hard.

I've had great help from wardrobe. I've had them make a small hole to pass through into the front pocket of a pair of pants to more easily hide a transmitter. A great costumer came up with the idea to make a hole in the nape to get inside the collar of a t-shirt, and she actually sewed a mic into a challenging, slightly transparent tank-top for me. One time, since I managed to be really involved in pre-production for a school project, I got a position for a mic made into a custom costume and it also had a transmitter pocket, haven't had similar "real world"-experiences yet, though. All I know is that it really pays to be in good standing with wardrobe.

On 17.10.2017 at 4:53 PM, Rick Reineke said:

I have encountered wardrobe folks who will not help... "that's your problem".

When that happens, I‘ll tell them that I will mount the mic myself then. In any way I see fit and using whatever means necessary. They tend to change their minds after that. 

But it‘s rare anyway. Most wardrobe people are super helpful 

On 17/10/2017 at 9:53 AM, Rick Reineke said:

Not specifically sewing, but wardrobe has assisted with other mounting/hiding issues. I have encountered wardrobe folks who will not help... "that's your problem".

Never encountered any wardrobe people that weren't willing to lend a hand, sorry if you've had some bad experiences.

Get as involved as early as you can in pre-production and wardrobe will be more willing to keep you in mind during purchasing/designing , if you are trying to figure it out last minute, after costumes are finalised then everything becomes more difficult, and wardrobe may get understandably frustrated.

And always remember that wardrobe knows the costumes inside and out, there may already be a convenient place to hide a Tx and mic that they can tell you about that you might not otherwise notice! 

On short-schedule hurry-up jobs I try to only ask if there is no good alternative.  On longer jobs like movies and in theatre it is expected and de rigueur.   Sew-ins have saved my ass many times, and wardrobe+mic situations that were very bad were turned into very good ones that were easier for everyone once we did it (esp on multiday jobs with the same wardrobe).

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, S Harber said:

There's a great tool called a Microstitch. Western Costumes in LA sells them.

Sets a quick, easily removable binding stick like a tiny price tag. Amazing tool in the right hands and circumstances.

http://www.wccsupplystore.com/micro-stitch/

Costume Dept I worked with a year or so got me onto these micro Tach-it guns or magic wonder gun as we called it. Brought one straight away and I it has been that problem saver you always wished you had but didn't realise you needed.

Been meaning to put this item in Jan's thread It's The Little Things for a while but for some reason never gotten around to it.

I mainly use it to tach pouches strait into costumes. Also comes in really handy when you loose a button and don't want to be immodest.  

• 2 weeks later...