Audio LTC Framerate conversion?

StefanM

Hello Community,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I have run into a bit of a problem with one of my recent projects, due a rookie mistake on my part.

I recorded the location sound for a 30 minute short film on a Zoom H6. Since this recorder has no built in Time-code functionalities I recorded the time-code from a Tiny Lockit onto one of the channels as LTC, syncing with the camera every few hours.  The Tiny Lockit was set to 25 fps. The camera however was recording in 24 fps.

Now I am wondering: is there anyway to convert the LTC audio files to 24 fps somehow? Can this be done once the timecode is added to a BWF? Or will post-production have to manually position the audio using the slate?

Thanks,

Stefan

Any sync problems you have will be due to the sample clocks on the camera and recorder and have nothing to do with the LTC recorded on an audio track.  You could forget about the TC recorded on your recorder and sync to the sync clap (if you used a slate).  If you didn't the TC might get you in the ballpark in any case, and after that it's down to eye-syncing.  Coffee....lots of coffee....

As others have pointed out, there will be no offset, and there is no reason to be afraid of manual syncing.

However, it's possible that the software for reading the LTC will flag the TC as 25, thus TC display is off.

That's an easy fix, and it hightly depends on the software / settings / workflow if it will be a problem.

(I know for sure that my AUX TC reader will handle this just fine.)

Thank you all for the responses!

This puts my mind at ease... I'll pass it on as is then. 

15 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Consider that 24fps and 25fps start at the same place each second. There is no drift. Seems to me that the worst case would be having to use the slate to fine tune the sync within one second.

9 hours ago, Bash said:

It shouldn't really be a problem. sb

A second will still last a second, so - even if the sync point is nearly at the end of a second... the maximum error should be only a frame at te point of sync.

You should be fine....  sb

7 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Any sync problems you have will be due to the sample clocks on the camera and recorder and have nothing to do with the LTC recorded on an audio track.  You could forget about the TC recorded on your recorder and sync to the sync clap (if you used a slate).  If you didn't the TC might get you in the ballpark in any case, and after that it's down to eye-syncing.  Coffee....lots of coffee....

3 hours ago, Bouke said:

As others have pointed out, there will be no offset, and there is no reason to be afraid of manual syncing.

However, it's possible that the software for reading the LTC will flag the TC as 25, thus TC display is off.

That's an easy fix, and it hightly depends on the software / settings / workflow if it will be a problem.

(I know for sure that my AUX TC reader will handle this just fine.)