Variable folder size for the deva

The series I am currently working on is block shooting episodes. They would like it if I kept the shooting days in seperate folders. For example day one on episode 601 may only have two scenes and then we move to episode 602. If I only use 1.2 gb in a 4gig folder I am waisting allot of hard drive space.

Has anyone tried the new variable folder software and are you having any problems with it? I am on 2.27

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about variable folder size for the Deva. Being a DevaII user I am familiar with the 2gig partition. Currently with the Deva II I keep all of the past work on the drive and only erase a partition as needed.What will happen if lets say I happen to fill a drive with variable folder sizes representing a days worth of work. When the the drive is full I erase folder 1, what happens if I want to record a larger folder size than was erased. Not sure if I said it right but if a folder equals a days work the drive becomes full, I erase a folder of a small days work and then find myself in a large multi-track day and exceed the folder size I erased. What happens then?

Someone who actually knows the answer, through practice, should chime in here. The way I would reason through it is that if a drive is almost full and you delete one of the variable folders (that possibly contains very little from a light day) you only recover the same amount of storage as you deleted. So, if the drive was almost full and you deleted one Folder which contained 1.1 gb, you will be able to make a new Folder and fill it with only 1.1 gb. The drive will then be just as close to almost full as it was before.

-  JW

Jeff I think you are correct in that the amount you erase will be the amount restored. I personally am not in the habbit of erasing files or folders. I back up at the end of each day to an external drive. When the Deva drive gets full I do a complete format. I have not talked to Howy or Glenn about it but the constant adding and erasing of files seems like possible trouble down the road. I even leave the blank files that happen when you are on a move with the cart. If you leave the Np1 in the Deva it stays powered after the ac is killed by the electrics. When you turn the cooper back on it sends a pulse to the Deva through the remote start and leaves a blank file. I do erase the data such as scene and take # but I leave the file. What version are you using?

It seems to me if you were doing a feature or MOW it would be less of a concern. But on 8 day episodes I am burning through the hard drive with 4 gig folders if I only use less than 500mb per day on a given folder. I would love to here from users that have tried the new software. I think that you also can play back from the internal DVD with 3.06?