login

Hello.

I want to buy a new wireless kit, and I have done a litle research about the 3 Companies that we mostly use.

Lectrosonics- Zaxcom-Wisycom.

Lectrosonics : SRC-SSM-SMWB

I read,the SRC have some problems and they don't work very well.They have some issues until the company finds the right update. At the moment I prefer to trust the SRB model, but its price is the same with the SRC but on SRC you have a wider range . 

The ssm its very nice and good unit.The negative of this unit are the batteries..and maybe the 3pin lemo if you have already some kit of lectro.

The SMWB is a very new unit,so I am waiting...

In general Lectrosonics have an amazing construction.

The TXs you have the opportunity to handle with LectroRM App for 21,99Euro.

Zaxcom : QRX200-ZMT3

Just amazing. A good RF frequency range: 518 to 698MHz 100% digital and more.

But I believe the construction of this unit is not good.They have many problems with updates, and here in Europe this creates problems when you get them for service.

TXs have a 3 pin lemo.

You can install for free the Zaxmote App.

Wisycom : MCR 42s-MTP41

WIDEBAND! Very good construction.I believe if you want to have a good "relationship" with them and  work right, you have to know the possibilities of these units.

I read they have many problems with some background noise and they have a low line signal.If you want to repair one unit you must wait 2-3 months, and the company  is in Italy.

I believe they are very good units for live Tv and Broadcast.

They TXs have 3pin lemo.

They don't have an App.

I believe Digital is the future for all companies and Zaxcom is very good in that. Also the 3 pin lemo will start being installed in all Txs. An the App helps a lot with the handling of the TXs.

I would like to hear yours thoughts please and correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

Thank you.

You described the pros and cons pretty good.

I personally use lectrosonics but it’s true I’ve had problems with my two SRC units, one because of RF problems and the other because of screen “bleeding”.

I will stick to them tho because I prefer not to have plastic transmitters that talent can destroy, and because I would have to change too many units...

My advice, there is no perfect wireless, but either way you go with Zaxcom or Lectrosonics you will have the best quality.

PD: Zaxcom can record while transmitting so if you are in a very tricky RF environment you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, manuelchk said:

You described the pros and cons pretty good.

I personally use lectrosonics but it’s true I’ve had problems with my two SRC units, one because of RF problems and the other because of screen “bleeding”.

I will stick to them tho because I prefer not to have plastic transmitters that talent can destroy, and because I would have to change too many units...

My advice, there is no perfect wireless, but either way you go with Zaxcom or Lectrosonics you will have the best quality.

PD: Zaxcom can record while transmitting so if you are in a very tricky RF environment you’re good.

Wisycom ?

OP Just because a person can purchase professional wireless equipment, does not mean they understand the principles of radio gear. In my opinion there are plenty of people that start posting about gear problems before they have done enough problem solving themselves. Many owe manufacturers a online apologie.

IMHO I think that you should go to a dealer and try out these units firsthand before you make your decisions. I often find that what I find out in person doesn't always match what some folks are saying online.

For instance, there are many different kinds of TX's for both Lectro and Zax. I have found the construction of most lectro 400 series to be fantastic, its true-- but  I also haven't had any problem with zaxcom TRX units falling apart, and the build quality is more than fine. Would I smash it against a wall on purpose? No. But we have used them all over the world through trying conditions with no problems re: durability

in terms of sound quality, IMHO between Lectro and Zax it is hands down Zax. But remember you definitely have to get used to their menu systems, which have a LOT of options that you need to acquaint yourself with before going into the field.

As for the SRC's-- the early units had some problems but I hear that the factory has addressed/is addressing those issues.

i don't have any experience with wisycom so I can't speak to those.

I can chime in with at least some experience, since I've owned all of these brands of wireless at one point or another.  I'll put them in your order:

Lectrosonics - The SRC is a great receiver.  There were early issues in the A1 band, but Lectrosonics has taken care of customers by recalling the boards and replacing them quickly.  If I were a potential buyer of a Lectrosonics slot receiver, I would not consider buying an SRB over an SRC.  The front end tracking is a big benefit over the SRB, not to mention all of the other feature upgrades that the SRC presents.  As for the SSM, it's a fantastic little transmitter that many shows rely on now.  The SMWB has not been in the field long enough for me to have an opinion on yet, but Lectro has plenty of transmitter options for you.

Zaxcom - The QRX200 has been available for some time now, and over its life continues to receive firmware upgrades that expand its functionality.  Plus, when paired with a QIFB option, they can control the transmitters remotely using Zaxnet directly on themselves.  It's a feature that's to go without once you've had some time with it.  The ZMT is just an awesome transmitter.  You probably know all of the features (NeverClip, Zaxnet, on-board recording, etc..), but when you finally hold one in your hand you'll know right away it's the real deal.  The construction of it is solid.  In fact, I've worn the ZMT in my own sock myself, with no strap or pocket.  Unless you're doing some extreme productions where you're submitting the transmitter to harsh environments, you can rest easy about the build quality.  Zaxcom's older, discontinued transmitters had some quality control issues (particularly when it came to the battery door), but there have been vast improvements since then.  The new stuff is just plain great.

Wisycom - The MCR-42 receiver is the most versatile in the bunch, since its compatible with many other brands of wireless (and you can add on other companders later).  It has some clever design tricks, like the screws being used to pass power through its battery case.  There are many mixers who use the MCR-42 with Lectrosonics transmitters, since its just so flexible.  The MTP-41 is a cool little transmitter that takes only 1 AA battery.  It can be difficult to choose which compander is best in different situations, but the options are there.  Like the Zaxcom transmitters, they come in two different frequency ranges.

So in short, IT DEPENDS!

I'm sure there's a rental house or retail store nearby you that you can rent and try out these different brands.  Many users will tell you which ones they own, and defend their brand loyalty 'til the death, but it's really up to you to decide which brand is the right one for your needs.

Feel free to reach out to me personally if you want to talk more about your choices.

I hate the “it depends” but it’s completely true, I would rent them and use them in a couple of features, then you will know for sure. I thought Lectros were better for me and I made the “mistake” of buying them without trying other high-end brands.

4 hours ago, mark kirchner said:

OP Just because a person can purchase professional wireless equipment, does not mean they understand the principles of radio gear. In my opinion there are plenty of people that start posting about gear problems before they have done enough problem solving themselves. Many owe manufacturers a online apologie.

Agreed. Until you've done a lot of homework I don't think anyone should be posting problems or questions. After graduating from an audio school and working professionally, I found this site and read it for a good nine months before ever daring to post anything. This was back in the good old days when people would speak up about what a "good" or a "bad" question was. When the Senator patrolled these waters :)

Point is, read, learn, try for yourself. Everyone here has their favorite gear for one reason or another. All brands have their good points and bad points, but the reason one prefers one brand over another is personal. 

5 hours ago, Doc Justice said:

I can chime in with at least some experience, since I've owned all of these brands of wireless at one point or another.  I'll put them in your order:

Lectrosonics - The SRC is a great receiver.  There were early issues in the A1 band, but Lectrosonics has taken care of customers by recalling the boards and replacing them quickly.  If I were a potential buyer of a Lectrosonics slot receiver, I would not consider buying an SRB over an SRC.  The front end tracking is a big benefit over the SRB, not to mention all of the other feature upgrades that the SRC presents.  As for the SSM, it's a fantastic little transmitter that many shows rely on now.  The SMWB has not been in the field long enough for me to have an opinion on yet, but Lectro has plenty of transmitter options for you.

Zaxcom - The QRX200 has been available for some time now, and over its life continues to receive firmware upgrades that expand its functionality.  Plus, when paired with a QIFB option, they can control the transmitters remotely using Zaxnet directly on themselves.  It's a feature that's to go without once you've had some time with it.  The ZMT is just an awesome transmitter.  You probably know all of the features (NeverClip, Zaxnet, on-board recording, etc..), but when you finally hold one in your hand you'll know right away it's the real deal.  The construction of it is solid.  In fact, I've worn the ZMT in my own sock myself, with no strap or pocket.  Unless you're doing some extreme productions where you're submitting the transmitter to harsh environments, you can rest easy about the build quality.  Zaxcom's older, discontinued transmitters had some quality control issues (particularly when it came to the battery door), but there have been vast improvements since then.  The new stuff is just plain great.

Wisycom - The MCR-42 receiver is the most versatile in the bunch, since its compatible with many other brands of wireless (and you can add on other companders later).  It has some clever design tricks, like the screws being used to pass power through its battery case.  There are many mixers who use the MCR-42 with Lectrosonics transmitters, since its just so flexible.  The MTP-41 is a cool little transmitter that takes only 1 AA battery.  It can be difficult to choose which compander is best in different situations, but the options are there.  Like the Zaxcom transmitters, they come in two different frequency ranges.

So in short, IT DEPENDS!

I'm sure there's a rental house or retail store nearby you that you can rent and try out these different brands.  Many users will tell you which ones they own, and defend their brand loyalty 'til the death, but it's really up to you to decide which brand is the right one for your needs.

Feel free to reach out to me personally if you want to talk more about your choices.

Thank you.yes I want.

Here in Greece we don't have rental house with this sound equipment!!!!I don have the opportunity to rent it!

4 hours ago, login said:

Thank you.yes I want.

Here in Greece we don't have rental house with this sound equipment!!!!I don have the opportunity to rent it!

To be honest, the league you’re looking at all systems will be pretty good. But I think you may have forgotten about Audio Ltd. They also have fully digital systems. 

And you can mix and match, which is what I am doing. I have a bunch of Lectro systems for bodypacks, but I have a Zaxcom boom transmitter. 

Even if you don’t have rental shops in your area, you will surely have colleagues in your area who may have the gear and maybe you can rent from them. 

And you can call any EU shop and buy your most favourite system from them, but make a deal with them so you can return the system after two weeks of evaluating it. In fact, if you buy online, I think the shop is legally required to accept your return within two weeks. The latter only works if you buy as a consumer, not as a professional 

3 hours ago, AlbertoGarciaAltez said:

Audio Ltd? 100% digital, mini sd you can record while transmiting if  you are un Europ. Have 12v,48v and analog límiter, wide range, a remote phone app.

https://audioltd.com

Find the recording on the TX interesting and that it has 48v power and AES output on the RX very attractive... I'm a 100% lectro guy but this makes me wonder how it sounds.

I have used, and would choose to use, all of these products. Also, if FedEX can deliver to you, then you can rent these units -- they're everywhere in Europe -- and I would recommend renting before buying anything.

For my day to day kit, I employ Zaxcom wireless: I've run them through the paces, and the ZMT3 is probably the best design and build quality the folks at Zaxcom have ever put out, with the possible better design being the IFB200 and Camera Link. The QRX200, now, is tried and true, and I'd place their build quality right up there with any other receiver on the market.

All my opinions aside, the most important one is to try everything. Call a rental house out of the country and FedEX them in. It'll be worth the experience.

13 hours ago, Thomas Cassetta said:

I have used, and would choose to use, all of these products. Also, if FedEX can deliver to you, then you can rent these units -- they're everywhere in Europe -- and I would recommend renting before buying anything.

For my day to day kit, I employ Zaxcom wireless: I've run them through the paces, and the ZMT3 is probably the best design and build quality the folks at Zaxcom have ever put out, with the possible better design being the IFB200 and Camera Link. The QRX200, now, is tried and true, and I'd place their build quality right up there with any other receiver on the market.

All my opinions aside, the most important one is to try everything. Call a rental house out of the country and FedEX them in. It'll be worth the experience.

I search that with FedEx. Thank you. 

are you planning to buy local or mail order?

if you need to buy things internationally anyway, it might make sense to get with the place you want to buy them from and arrange for a rental. most likely part of the rental fee will be credited towards your purchase, plus it's nice to have a place with good support if you need help later on.

• 4 months later...
42 minutes ago, Arnold F. said:

Thankfully, that POS Senator is no longer here.  

Remember Arnold, he has forgotten more than you will most likely ever know about Audio..  He had a great deal of information... and like many, was irritated by those that would rather simply ask questions rather than research, dig and read for themselves for information readily available here and elsewhere..

5 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Remember Arnold, he has forgotten more than you will most likely ever know about Audio..  He had a great deal of information... and like many, was irritated by those that would rather simply ask questions rather than research, dig and read for themselves for information readily available here and elsewhere..

+1 -- Known to have little patience for the lazy and those who think paying their dues is beneath them.

In person, one of the nicest, most generous people you could meet. 

Arnold, looking at your recent posts, I see a lot of anti-Senator sentiment:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/profile/276-arnold-f/

I don't know the history, and I'll grant that Senator Mike is an acquired taste...as are all of us. But Mike's a good, smart, and generous guy. And as you can tell, on balance, there's a lot of good will towards him.

I suggest following Elsa's advice:

0.jpg

Life's too short. 

Best,

Jim