Portabrace “Silent” audio bags.

Just came across these new Portabrace bags. The AO-1SILENT (“lightweight” model) and AO-1.5SILENT look the same from the front, plus here’s the latter from the top:

lightweight_silent_audio_case_1_2.jpg2017-10-26_10.06.12a1.jpg

Video demo:

Images from their newsletter announcement:

quiet-details.jpg

AO-SILENT-alum-features.jpg

AO-SILENT-cable-features.jpg

AO-SILENT-front-pocket.jpg

AO-SILENT-openings.jpg

PR copy excerpt:

A light but strong aluminum frame ensures a sturdy case that won’t weigh you down. In fact, this [AO-1SILENT] Audio Organizer, at 2.7lb, weighs almost half that of competitor’s cases. The exterior is made from durable waterproofed 1000-Denier Cordura, protecting it from the elements, and the roughest environments. The interior keeps your gear safe with its soft and protective material. Two padded dividers provide extra security. One pad also has a removable elastic wireless holder that can accommodate up to 3 wireless units.

[…]

A large front pocket can hold any extra equipment, while the MOLLE—nylon strips sewn horizontally across the bag--attached to the pocket allow the user to clip or hang receivers, cables, headphones, and so on, to the bag. Both sides of the AO-SILENT feature fully detachable side panels for easy access to mixer inputs and outputs. You will also find transmitter hop pouches on either side, along with one zippable flask holder. The included Piggin’ String lends a hand with longer coils of large cables and extension cords.

The price and weight are pretty attractive. It's weird that they don't have the rubber silencers on the side panel zips though, my Stingray has strings instead of metal tabs on those for silent operation. I like that this has 4 attachment points on top. If I were in the market for a bag, I'd definitely look into this one, happy with my Stingray Small for now, though.

50 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.portabrace.com/ao-silent.html

With an introductory price of €85 that is quite appealing to try out. 

Although I don't quite understand why the AO-1SILENT is 40% more expensive (even though it is a smaller bag!):

https://www.portabrace.com/ao-1silent.html

The introductory price is awesome but their shipping costs are outrageous for outside the US

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, thenannymoh said:

Looks like Portabrace borrowed from Stingray and Orca to make an interesting budget mashup

I don't think so. Porta is the only one who make different bags for different needs, products etc.
It was a matter of time to realease bags for Mix-Pre Series.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

There’s a video of one of the Silent bags up on YouTube. Not very flattering:

Hmm. Not really impressed with the guy's review. 

He says the stretchy receiver loop holder things are huge. But the biggest RX he has is a 401. I'd guess Porta designed the loops to hold 411-sized receivers. So that's an issue, but addressible with a little planning. Worth a ding, but not the ding he gives it.

Complaining that it doesn't come with a rain cover is blaming Porta for his own mistake. Porta has several SKUs of the AO Silent available. They're very clear about which SKUs do and don't include rain covers (and straps, and harnesses). So that's total user error.

https://www.portabrace.com/organizers.html/

Saying it's huge is fine, but sounds like it's a complaint. So why did he order such a large bag? Porta's not perfect, but they're very clear about their exterior and interior dimensions. So if he'd done his homework, he'd know what he was getting. 

https://www.portabrace.com/organizers/ao-silent.html#product_tabs_Dimensions

And if he wanted something smaller, he could have ordered a AO 1.0 or waited for the upcoming AO 1.0 Silent (again, clearly called out on Porta's Organizer page).

I don't know how the new AO Silent bags compare to what I use now, but the above video didn't enlighten me. 

Got some hands on time with the bag yesterday, the actual bag shown in the above video actually, and it did seem to handle a bit more quietly the many other bags, which is a +. Felt much more secure and solid than many other bags, even those that have some sort of frame built in. Dropped in a 411 I had with me and it seemed to fit well enough, but still felt a touch loose, but was secure enough that I wouldn't worry.  I suspect that's a compromise between getting the receivers in and out a little easier without quickly wearing out the elastic and how tightly they actually need to grip the receivers to be secure, something to help extend the life of the bag, which to me is a key part of Portabrace (how long their bags last). Seems like a good bag to me.

I only got about 5-10 minutes with it, but it seemed to have a bit less storage and organisation options than comparably sized bags.  Is that something anyone else is finding?

On 2/8/2018 at 12:36 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

The carrier bag, Jim? Probably a touch more "Silent" - ha ha!   Jez

Oh! That poor guy carrying the plastic bag in "my" profile photo. Took me a while to figure out what the heck you were talking about. HaI I think it's time to change my photo and give that guy a break. 

JWB, thanks for your thoughts on the bag.

10 hours ago, mikewest said:

Slightly off topic but I have my 664 and 633 in Orca bags that are amazing!!!

mike

And are heavier as well 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:18 AM, IronFilm said:

How do you like the CEDAR DNS2? What are you finding yourself using it for, are you managing to get an extra kit fee from producers for it?

It does an amazing job getting rid of Aircon, ballast fan noises, etc... the constant the noise is, the better job it does. I use it mainly on commercials and when shooting in bad designed Soundstages or interiors especially in summer where they need to have the aircon always on , or in locations you can still hear the genny rumble. It also gives you a more clear idea what can be achieved in post NR wise and depending on the circumstances  not being a PITA on set  
With only -2 or -3db noise reduction you can already hear the difference.  
Was in the market to buy SUPERCMIT but finally found that for my work the DNS 2 was more flexible, had 2 channels, and can use it with any mic I want,
Also with the new short shotguns coming to market (4017, mini CMIT, 8060) IMHO  the SUPERCMIT size is becoming a huge mic to use & handle :-)
Rental wise I try to do my best, but it not easy. On the other hand would someone using SUPERCMIT charge more ?