ISO's vs. Mix Track

Erob

You bet....  unscripted.... providing a mix....ISOs... whats not being a sound mixer...   Guessing at who's going to speak, blowing up the mix opening the wrong pots all to be cool and attempt it yourself... thats just dumb...  all to what end?  You COULD simply open them all up...let them ride... but thats worse than attempting it yourself.. That Dugan will provide a better working mix track than I would be able to do by hand... Thats a fact...unless of course I start reading minds...  

There are situations where the Dugan struggles.... such as when one of the persons is say holding a wrapper in front of them and making noise with it.... that will trigger that mic to open...  but you can always pull them out!!   

3-4-5-10 people, improv... wires.... Dugan has been great...  Worked perfect 95% of the time..  and not just a working mix, but a nice one...

Still collecting a Y1 IA paycheck, so yes I am being a sound mixer...  At least to payroll.. ;)

17 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Why not.....  Activate the Dugan, throw in some NON Dugan Boom pointed away from dialog (20ft from set) for some fill... and let it rip... Great results...

I've played around with Dugan A.M a bit. In your experience how does it handle panning on something like 633?

You assign it to left or right mix tracks or both...  pan works.... YOU pick where you want it to go in the mix...  I will normally send all to the LEFT mix track... If there are like 10 mics, I may be tempted to spread the wealth... 

I have had GREAT results with it....  again, in a non scripted situation with a bunch of people it does a much better job than you could winging it... The mix ends up sounding fine... even for a nice perfectly usable final track... but, if getting a mix to post in a working mix only situation so they know what was included in the scene... it's perfect...   It sounds really seamless...

I will once again say, there are a few situations where it will be strange... say... one of 5 people is standing outside a home and the sound of the street is loud... when the mic opens for that person, the transition sounds sudden...  But, if all the people are in the same sounding room or environment.. it works perfect... KNOW it's limitations...  

On 10/4/2017 at 4:45 AM, Jay Rose said:

On 12/3/2017 at 8:09 AM, afewmoreyears said:

Hi sorry all this sits above my post - do not know why.

RP did not take my bait!

I'v mixed features and TV dramas to a Nagra 4.2 from 1980 to 1992 so I know how mix!

Then DAT/ hard disk and  Sound devices 2005 to present.

I'm continuing with other to research opinions on how we or others favor doing it and why

Cheers

mike

4 hours ago, mikewest said:

Hi sorry all this sits above my post - do not know why.

RP did not take my bait!

I'v mixed features and TV dramas to a Nagra 4.2 from 1980 to 1992 so I know how mix!

Then DAT/ hard disk and  Sound devices 2005 to present.

I'm continuing with other to research opinions on how we or others favor doing it and why

Cheers

mike

Nobody was doubting your sound experience...