Used Lectrosonics buying strategy

LloydPDX

I've decided to "buy once, cry once" and invest in a used tx/rx Lectrosonics set rather than go the G3 route as my first wireless mic. I'm bewildered by the options available, but will do further research to learn about the particulars of the various models. I come here to ask the following for the sake of my budget: What's the wisdom, if any, in pairing a higher-end TX with a somewhat lower end RX or vice versa? From what I know so far it seems that 201 series and higher/newer is where I want to focus, but beyond that just not sure especially if I consider a "mixed" set. 
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I don't know enough about the Lectro options to be of much help, but it seems to me to give any sensible advise one would have to know which field you are working in (docu, cooperate, reality, features etc), what your typical track count is and if you work from a bag or cart (or both) etc.

The biggest difference is the digital hybrid system. If you really want to follow through with your buy once/cry once paradigm then get at least a digital hybrid equipped system (400 series and onwards). The newer the systems get, the better they are, and it’s probably up to you to find the best compromise for you. But even the oldest digital hybrid system you can find will be significantly better than any older model. 

UCR411a or SMb/c for the Rx which has a compatibility mode allowing it to be used with SM, 400, 200, and (I think) 100 series Tx. Then make you're choice on Tx.  And make sure you get a lav compatible with your Tx, there's a servo/non-servo/universal compatibility to be aware of when picking up older Lectro gear. UM400a and newer Tx use a servo wiring.

There are a few threads on the subject on the forum.

The digital hybrid info and the compatibility mode reminder is very helpful. I'll search for more info with these terms. And for context, basic corporate and doc style is dominant usage, one or two tracks into a bagged (or, in a pinch, camera-mounted) SD MP6. Many thanks.

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 7:39 AM, JWBaudio said:

And make sure you get a lav compatible with your Tx, there's a servo/non-servo/universal compatibility to be aware of when picking up older Lectro gear. UM400a and newer Tx use a servo wiring

So universal wiring can be used with either servo or non-servo wiring?

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So universal wiring can be used with either servo or non-servo wiring?

Universal Wiring is occasionally a little more complicated but it can be used with -all- 5 pin Lectro transmitters. The "simple" wiring is only for servo input transmitters such as all Lectro units built for the last 8(?) years. Both wirings will give you the same quality results.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

What Christian Spaeth said is true, i am actually still using 211s with um200s and they work like a charm. My other main radio mics are 411s with smqv, and don´t get me wrong, you can´t beat that, more battery life, more RF range, more conveniency changing freq, remote ..... but sometimes i even get the feeling the 200s sound better using the same lav, that may be just me or just an ilusion, still, pretty happy with the 200 series.

My 2 cents on this is, if you can, go Lectro over G3 without a shade of a doubt, you´ll be way happier on the field and someone will be happier in post (so will your clients if they appreciate good sound). Once this decision is made everything above the 200 series (included) will work great omho, just spend the time investigating which blocks work best in your region because getting the "wrong" block can definitely give you headaches even if you buy the higher end 1 block digital hybrid lectros.

Hi, long time no post. Visits here every once in a while but I felt compelled to reply to this thread.

I guess I am one of the buy a lot of times, cry a lot of times (note: situation and currency exchange forced my hand)

I'll start with at least a Lectro 200 series and preferably the 211 series (top of the line for 200 series analog)

The 200D, while frequency agile needs a screwdriver to retune and the 205D don't have internal battery powering.

The 201 is internal-antenna only it's something to think of if you're planning to share an antenna later on.

(be wary on: button issues, the membrane could stop working after a LOT of use.)

The 100 series sounds too thin (tinny), freq-wise.

The 400 series gave me more lower end freq but could still be expensive depending on where you're coming from.

What's the wisdom, if any, in pairing a higher-end TX with a somewhat lower end RX or vice versa?

Lectro digital series onwards support backwards compatibility and some other manufacturers emulation. 

The SM series and LT (IINM) transmitter do have features like Lectro Remote (using your phone to control level, turn off RF, change frequencies etc) so there's that.

There's also the option to pair up other manufacturer TX with a digital-hybrid Lectro receivers.

Just a few days ago I used a Sony UWP TX with my LR receiver. 

The funny thing is that Lectro does Sony wireless better than the stock Sony receiver itself

(refer photo, top is Lectro LR - bottom is Sony receiver, marker is when I start overloading the TX)

Also, whatever you invest in (be it 200 series or 400 series) - get the x11 series not the x01 series receivers.
The BNC antenna port allows for better antenna organization later on when your jobs calls for it and from what I read the RF performance of the x11 series are also better.

Best regards,

Pojam

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-04 at 10.01.53 AM.jpeg