Guard Bands

Mixer1

You can. But there’s rules. Transmitter is supposed to be 25mW or less for one which is the major fly in the ointment. 

I feel like like they must have chosen 25mW not for any engineering reason but just because almost every commercially available wireless mic on the planet puts out more than 25mW. Even G3s put out 30mW! Seems like they don’t want us on those guard bands... wonder if the WSD interests lobbied for that 25mW rule...

10 hours ago, Derek H said:

You can. But there’s rules. Transmitter is supposed to be 25mW or less for one which is the major fly in the ointment. 

I feel like like they must have chosen 25mW not for any engineering reason but just because almost every commercially available wireless mic on the planet puts out more than 25mW. Even G3s put out 30mW! Seems like they don’t want us on those guard bands... wonder if the WSD interests lobbied for that 25mW rule...

I'm sure WSD did lobby for it. I can't imagine the signal strength coming out of those towers is going to be impacted much by a 30mW Sennheiser or even a Lectro at 50mW, most everything we do qualifies a low power. I always thought it was more an issue with them causing interference for us. But I don't have any sort of engineering bg, so if anyone want's to get into more detail to correct or expand on how we might be generating interference for the cell towers, that would be awesome!

This may help clarify some things:

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/08/07/fcc-clarifies-rf-rules-as-the-600-mhz-transition-begins-in-earnest/

And there are many other articles that get into it. But things still aren't completely settled, and there are still some clean spots, but I would suggest trying to move out as quickly as you can. The longer you hold onto 600MHz gear the more it's going to devalue, the used market is already flooded with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/21/2017 at 10:32 AM, Derek H said:

I believe the limit is actually 20mW, not 25.

And G3's can do 10mW but with the who-knows-what noise floor in the guard bands and duplex gap I can't imagine it would give much range.

And Microsoft drones on and on in their comments to the FCC about how wireless microphones have all this "new" space and don't need the TV bands which are so indispensable for WSD broadband.  Humph!

On 12/12/2017 at 9:05 AM, Rick Reineke said:

.. but will the FCC ever get close enough to measure it?

No.

But if the FCC does decide to send someone to oversee frequency coordination at some sort of large mass-media event, then you may run into issues, but still...it's one of those things that would be almost impossible to enforce. 

JWB I totally agree!

I recently worked on a local music awards event for MTV

Every man and his radio mike was there but the frequencies were planned at least.

Sure how can "they" enforce and measure your power output ?

I was on a job yesterday using Block 26 and a 10.00am a digital tv channel fired up.

Totally unexpected in east Auckland and yep some fill in channel.

Luckily I use Block 25 also but no information about new stations.

Usually you can scan on a 400 and find holes that are usable - yep we all struggle

to shoot programs and commercials that appear on the same channels that we fight with!!!

mike