Guessing this is bad idea.. induction loop in car...

johngooch

Looking at doing car scene - self drive.  Mix of dialogue and playback..  

RF Phonaks an option- but here is a thought...  possible use an induction loop?  I am guessing that the EMF and 

stray RF would kill it.  But it has me thinking..  has anybody done this?  My thought is that it could work but it would 

be total crap shoot...   

j

Well,  I have used a Ipod shuffle, the postage stamp sized one feeding a Speak easy speaker.... told the talent to press the button to stop and press again to go back to beginning, then press again to play...  Or you can go to the vehicle aux input if thats an option...   Play it real low... it works fine... bag rig on a drive away for the recorded audio.

You can also have the track looped so YOU can press once and go..  

I own 2 earwigs and dislike them... always have... OK for vocal cuing, but horrible for musical playback.. IMHO

If you had a process trailer this is all different of course...  But you don't..

Good luck..

I've done induction loops in cars--convertibles even.  LOTS of amp power ( big car stereo amp with its own big battery), need to get the loop as close to the talent's head as possible.  In a hard top run it around the ceiling if you can.  In the convertibles I had the loops come up behind the headrests for front shots.  Worked fine with old school induction earbugs.  Do consider just playing thru the car stereo, that's the easiest deal by far, esp for non-pro talent.

1 hour ago, johngooch said:

-Few more years: non professional talent....  singing to music.... i think earwig may overwhelm them..   

Even non professional talent can push a button..or just loop it and you push it.. 

Speaker will be fine.. done it a million times..

Nobody likes earwigs...they overwhelm a lot of people..

There is spoken dialogue interspersed and and several different cuts of music that they control the cuing of.  It is as if they are fighting over what is on the radio.....  

Still would rather not use earwigs..   I fear the fidelity not being sufficient for singing along...    

2 minutes ago, johngooch said:

There is spoken dialogue interspersed and and several different cuts of music that they control the cuing of.  It is as if they are fighting over what is on the radio.....  

Still would rather not use earwigs..   I fear the fidelity not being sufficient for singing along...    

Oh... goodness.. Well some things don't play well on self driving gigs with no process trailer...this is one of them..

Earwig fidelity or volume both suck..

17 hours ago, johngooch said:

-Few more years: non professional talent....  singing to music.... i think earwig may overwhelm them..   

Hi John, I'm not sure I'd be keen on driving any kind of car, let alone one unfamiliar to me, wearing earwigs - I find my ears a big part of the perceptive experience. So I wouldn't be too surprised if you occasionally came across a blank refusal and thus needed a fully implemented Plan B. Just a thought.

Best, Jez