Fostex LR-16

Jeff Wexler

As many of you know I am not a big Fostex fan so it is no surprise to me that I had not even heard of this mixer/recorder from Fostex. I first saw it featured in the current Coffey Sound magazine. Is there anyone here who knows more about this item and why it does not seem to have been mentioned or talked about at all in our world.

Just curious.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815080018_thumb.jpg

Basically No timecode. Not designed for Film and TV.

No timecode is certainly an issue, but "Not designed for Film and TV" certainly should not be. We use all sorts of things that were "not designed for film and TV" --- the much lauded Yamaha 01v series mixers were not designed for "film and tv" either.

On the issue of timecode, it does support recording in .wav format, 48k/24 bit, so it could be possible that simple software patch could provide TC support ?

-  Jeff Wexler

I will let the engineers speak but I do believe that hardware (crystals or whatever is inside my lockit boxes) is needed for this and not just a firmware update, otherwise we could use our computers for TC.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Even with software change I was mentioning, the use of an accurate external TC source (like your lockit boxes) would be required --- I was not suggesting that a simple software patch would turn the LR-16 into a full featured master timecode device. I was actually referring to something on the lines of how both boom recorder and Metacorder are able to recognize and utilize external LTC as audio, timestamping the .wav files properly.

-  JW