Ucr411a output impedance

Stephen Murdoch

Looking to use a 400/411a between an acoustic guitar and a preamp. The input of the preamp is  10M ohms impedance (hi-z) guitar line in. If I make a cable that floats pin 3 between the output of the Ucr411a and the input to the preamp, what should I expect? Could/should I also put a resistor on the signal?

any insight would be appreciated!

Edited by Stephen Murdoch
Forgot to capitalize m(milli), meant M(Mega)

59 minutes ago, Stephen Murdoch said:

Looking to use a 400/411a between an acoustic guitar and a preamp. The input of the preamp is  10m ohms impedance (hi-z) guitar line in. If I make a cable that floats pin 3 between the output of the Ucr411a and the input to the preamp, what should I expect? Could/should I also put a resistor on the signal?

any insight would be appreciated!

Use pin 1 as ground connection, pin 2 as hot and float pin 3 on the 411A, as you said. Since you are going from about 100 Ohms on the 411A to a 10 Meg input on the guitar amp, you need no padding or series resistor. You are always safe going from a low impedance out (411A) to a high impedance in (10 M). You can probably run the 411A at a pretty high output level and just turn down the preamp since they typically can handle pretty hot signals from hot pickups or active pickups. This gain setup will reduce any hum pickup on the unbalanced guitar input.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher