2.4 GHz amp in bag

KGraham045

As I said before "and have been saying for a long time" zaxnet is not made for a reliable IFB unless on a cart with a powerful amp. Ifb is in my humble opinion the most important piece of gear in our arsenal. Drop offs are distracting and scary to a producer/director . dont expect to get a reliable ifb from erx in every situation. If you want that buy a Comtek. 

29 minutes ago, KGraham045 said:

Lol I know what your saying but Comteks sound terriable. And aren’t as useful as ERX.

Your only as good as your mix to the director - and the erx is killer. But on the other hand, they hear too much and start judging things that arent critical - and comteks are perfect. Oh the struggles

-Ken

As this discussion seems to turn already into a flamewar, here's some funfact:

In Germany and possibly a lot of other non North American places, outside the sounddepartment(, and sometimes for simplicity within the sound dep,) a "Comtek" is a common noun derived from a brand name. Funnily, 99% of the time the RX will be some generation of an EK 300 and most people asking for a comtek have never even seem or gave out one before (or any ERX).

On 30 novembre 2017 at 2:45 PM, ALLEYcatAUDIO said:

I just used an amp on a doc. recently. I had whine and interference from the amp unless I turned the tx power down to 4 or 5. 

I've always had the whine from Zaxnet via my IFB100 when at full power. 5 seems to be the magic number, but also being on opposite sides of the bag from the Comtek TX is important. 

I agree with @RadoStefanov here. For IFB use Comteks if you want good range. The fact that they don't sound quite so good is a good thing. You don't want to invite people to suddenly become a backseat driver because their feed sounds too good. Besides, Zax IFBs are a bit pricey and fragile for handing out to others who routinely drop them and leave them lying about. Comteks are the perfect solution for range, price, robustness (well, maybe they can be a little more robust), and lack of clarity. 

Getting back to that amp; I really would not recommend having it in your bag. They are very powerful, will fry your avocados as stated above, and have not been approved by the FCC (though the documentation and labeling says otherwise), so they can be quite hazardous. I use one on the other side of my cart only in situations where I'm really fighting for range or due to RF congestion at some locations. But my only use for Zax IFB is for camera hops/tc. If all else fails, a comtek and a lockit will due just fine. 

KG i am sure you have been down this path but there are interesting antenna options out there if you low-loss-cable-remote your antenna position to a good not so interfering spot on your bag that i had had some increase in range from. I had one of these biquad antennas made and by no means is it is magic bullet but in repeat locations i did notice extended range with frying twig n berries

IMG_2058.PNG

I use a 20€ 1 Watt amp from wlanshop24.de + a audioroot dc dc converter + a biquad antenna in my bag . Everything with one battery and clean Signals. .......

Mobile Phones are even going higher than 1 Watt when signalstrenght is bad and are typically placed directly near the Avocados the whole day. .....

has anyone tired the newer version of the sunhans amp? 2.5W for $38 on amazon.  I use ERXs for cam hops outdoors form time to time, would love more punch, especially outdoors.  I remote the antenna up to my shoulder but range is always just so so.