Sound Devices MixPre-10T new features overview

dfisk

17 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

Tip of the day: Not many people know this, but you can touch the bottom status bar in the homescreen to get more info - for example, USB drive status, sample rate, bit depth, frame rate etc.

That's really cool. Very nice touch. 

For those with AES O/P devices a 10 AES I/P recorder with this form factor would be sweet, no? Sonosax squeezed 4 pairs into the Mini R82 (10 years ago - albeit without faders but the size of a 411).  MixPre AES-10T (with just 2 P48 channels for those oldskool moments)? 

9 hours ago, daniel said:

For those with AES O/P devices ...

... the SX R4+ is already a beautiful solution, no? And an admirable development of the features/possibilities of the R82 / R4 era machines.

As far as the new SDMP and Zoom F machines go, it is the lack of AES 3 (more so than 42 to me) that makes them less attractive to me than they could be - even in their price bracket (that of the MicPre D, Tascam 680, the old R4 Pro). Yet they clearly have their markets without (simple) AES IO. Still curious how the HDMI port might work with sync (tho admit haven't watched vid yet before replying to Dan's comment here ... )

Jez

On December 2, 2017 at 7:04 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Still curious how the HDMI port might work with sync (tho admit haven't watched vid yet before replying to Dan's comment here ... )

Jez

I cover that here in a video series I did on the MixPre-3/6:

On 12/1/2017 at 12:31 PM, Derek H said:

Nice video Dave!

Paul, does the 10T have an Ambient timecode generator or your own design? Will it hold when powered off just like other units?

It is our own design and one that lives up to all the accuracy standards you'd expect from Sound Devices! It will hold accurate TC for up to 4 hours of power down just like the 788T.

Unboxed my MixPre10 yesterday. Overall very happy with the unit so far. That said, two things seem puzzling to me and I would like to propose they be addressed with a firmware update if possible:

1.)  The ISO tracks are only able to be viewed vertically with no numerical dB reading measurement available. I realize there's only so much info that can be displayed on the small screen of a 10-input recorder of this size, but I really wish there was an additional display option or way to view the ISO tracks horizontally with numerical dB measurements like you can on the MixPre6 and MixPre3.  As it is now this limits my ability to confidentally set and monitor levels as I often only record a few ISOs at a time.

2.) It would be great if the ring light around the joystick was customizable to be green or white or simply off altogether rather than the current orange color when it is not recording.  As it is now the standby orange color appears too similar to the recording red color when eyeballing the recorder from across a room or even a few meters away (often necessary as a one-man band shooter when you're not immediately next to the recorder). 

Any chance these things can be added in a future firmware @Paul Isaacs?   Looking forward to putting this baby into the field soon.

Thanks and take care,

Mark

On 12/4/2017 at 11:20 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

It is our own design and one that lives up to all the accuracy standards you'd expect from Sound Devices! It will hold accurate TC for up to 4 hours of power down just like the 788T.

Hey Paul, I love the design of this 10t. Its a game changer for the price point!  Can't wait to get one and try it out for Xmas. Ahhhmmm (clear my throat) hope my ex wife sees this to put it on my Santa list.... Wait, my ex ain't gonna buy me one... Hell, she's off my Xmas list and I am buying one for myself! I've  been naughty enough!  JP Borden   P.S. Happy Festivus!

On December 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM, jpb2 said:

Hey Paul, I love the design of this 10t. Its a game changer for the price point!  Can't wait to get one and try it out for Xmas. Ahhhmmm (clear my throat) hope my ex wife sees this to put it on my Santa list.... Wait, my ex ain't gonna buy me one... Hell, she's off my Xmas list and I am buying one for myself! I've  been naughty enough!  JP Borden   P.S. Happy Festivus!

Let me know if you want to demo it. You can use my MP-10t to play with. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Still curious how the HDMI port might work with sync

You hook it up to a camera with an HDMI cable coming out the camera, and if the HDMI trigger is set up right on both then the MixPre will automatically start recording too (with the correct time) when the camera itself starts recording. (there are lots and lots of external video recorders which work this way too, such as from Atomos, Convergent Design, Blackmagic Design, or Video Devices)

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You hook it up to a camera with an HDMI cable coming out the camera, and if the HDMI trigger is set up right on both then the MixPre will automatically start recording too (with the correct time) when the camera itself starts recording. (there are lots and lots of external video recorders which work this way too, such as from Atomos, Convergent Design, Blackmagic Design, or Video Devices)

Just know that it won't work with every single camera that has an HDMI port on it. The camera manufacturers haven't standardized this sort of thing. ALSO, if you try to daisy chain devices, like going from a camera to an Atomos, and then to your recorder, it can create some weirdness....at least that's what one customer reported to me recently. 

Yup, I wouldn't want to try your chances at passing the HDMI trigger (which as you pointed out, isn't implemented consistently, same brands do it differently to others) to more than one recorder at once. Odds of success would be low. Surely this is a niche that coud be served, & someone should make an HDMI spillitter which preserves this?

On 12/31/2017 at 8:14 PM, IronFilm said:

Surely this is a niche that coud be served, & someone should make an HDMI spillitter which preserves this?

I was wondering about this, actually. I currently have my MixPre-6 connected to my Sony a6500 camera via HDMI, and it remote fires the MixPre-6 when I go into record on the camera, BUT, I'm going to be getting an external LCD monitor so I can easily monitor video (I shoot my youtube videos by myself most of the time) and I'd like to be able to use the monitor and the HDMI functionality of the MixPre-6 at the same. I'm seeing a bunch of HDMI switchers online, but not a hub in the "USB Hub" sense of the word. 

Hey guys, does somebody know if the 10T can be used as an audio interface on a computer using only USB-A ? (even being in "reduced mode" like I believe the MixPre-6 can do allowing only 2 channels) ?

I would really like to purchase the 10T for field and studio needs but I have a 2012 macbook with only USB-A's so I was wondering if I would be able to use the 10T at all on that computer.

Thanks,

Cheers.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, dfisk said:

I was wondering about this, actually. I currently have my MixPre-6 connected to my Sony a6500 camera via HDMI, and it remote fires the MixPre-6 when I go into record on the camera, BUT, I'm going to be getting an external LCD monitor so I can easily monitor video (I shoot my youtube videos by myself most of the time) and I'd like to be able to use the monitor and the HDMI functionality of the MixPre-6 at the same. I'm seeing a bunch of HDMI switchers online, but not a hub in the "USB Hub" sense of the word. 

Blackmagic Design Video Assist works fine.  I trigger the Mix Pre 6 from a Canon 1DC through the Video Assist and the 1DC won't trigger the MP6 directly.

I wish the 10t would hold timecode from an HDMI signal even after it is disconnected.  I think I saw somewhere it couldn't.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 3:48 AM, ronfya said:

Hey guys, does somebody know if the 10T can be used as an audio interface on a computer using only USB-A ? (even being in "reduced mode" like I believe the MixPre-6 can do allowing only 2 channels) ?

I would really like to purchase the 10T for field and studio needs but I have a 2012 macbook with only USB-A's so I was wondering if I would be able to use the 10T at all on that computer.

Thanks,

Cheers.

Yes, but you need 2 USB-A ports. SD has a USB-C to 2x USB-A splitter cable that you'll need to use. 

2 hours ago, dfisk said:

Yes, but you need 2 USB-A ports. SD has a USB-C to 2x USB-A splitter cable that you'll need to use. 

Does that apply even if you power the MP10T externally?

I.E., can you feed the MP10T external power and connect to the computer with one USB-A cable and get all channels and functionality?

Thanks!
-Mike

1 hour ago, Mobilemike said:

Does that apply even if you power the MP10T externally?

I.E., can you feed the MP10T external power and connect to the computer with one USB-A cable and get all channels and functionality?

Thanks!
-Mike

I'm not sure on this one. I don't have a MP-10T any more to try it out with, but I think so. It's not just about power but also about the amount of data as well. 

3 hours ago, dfisk said:

I'm not sure on this one. I don't have a MP-10T any more to try it out with, but I think so. It's not just about power but also about the amount of data as well. 

That would be a bummer. There are plenty of 8 in/8 out (or more) usb interfaces that have no trouble getting that data over a USB-A cable, so if this is the case wouldn’t it mean that the MP10T is terribly inefficient or purposely crippled?

Thanks!

-Mike