Lectro Duet

old school

Day 4 with the Lector Duet IEM and I am happy to report so far so good. Good range, great sound. Not sure how many others are using this system and what they are experiencing, but in Pasadena, a rf active area, it did the job. Boom op is very happy to hear what we are recording. This is what being wireless was missing IMO. Certainly a step up from all the comteks and IFB's I've used.  I understand Zax has a good one too. Makes going wireless better for sure.

CrewC

IMG_0117.jpg

Very cool piece of kit.

A little more high tech than my "poor man's talkback" setup of boom op on an MM1 + lectro transmitter + Motorola walkie borrowed from production.  We've got a fancy neoprene belt thing for all the accoutrements that we've dubbed "The Bat Utility Belt" which is pretty rad at least though!

4 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Crew, 

I think this unit is 50mW...

Did you do a nice range test seeing how far you get range wise before drop outs???

I am curious to know how that unit compares with the Comtek 216 Base station.. I would guess it would be simply about the same as a 50mW Lectro transmitter does..

Today is day 5 using it so it's a bit early to know all its capabilities, but I doubt it has the range of a base station comtek. I wish it was more powerful but not an issue so far. My IFB would become plan B if range were to be an issue, Comtek plan C.  I'm using the Duet w a SNA600a antennae not the whip that comes w it. I'll report back any new thoughts as I get them.

CrewC

39 minutes ago, old school said:

Today is day 5 using it so it's a bit early to know all its capabilities, but I doubt it has the range of a base station comtek. I wish it was more powerful but not an issue so far. My IFB would become plan B if range were to be an issue, Comtek plan C.  I'm using the Duet w a SNA600a antennae not the whip that comes w it. I'll report back any new thoughts as I get them.

CrewC

New gear is always fun...hope your well.. keep us posted and thank you... B

1 hour ago, old school said:

CrewC

If you are on a clear frequency, I think you will be surprised at the range. I know I was, and I had been doing this RF stuff for 40 years. The diversity antennas on the receiver add quite a bit to the range capabilities, something you don't have on the other systems.

Best,

Larry F

p.s.  For those that don't know I am a Lectrovangelist, I am more than a little biased.

• 2 weeks later...

O K, 10 more shoot days with the Duet now. Performing well with the 2 antennas out of the enclosure and up a bit but not that much, about 5 to 6 feet high over all. First thing I do is scan the receive in the morning, choose an open freq and then set the trans. Then I set up my radio mics. Been getting good range in DTLA, and the Valley so far. Just like Larry said. It's been a massive upgrade for my boom op now that we can talk about the same thing we are hearing. Happy. 

CrewC