633 loose object inside machine

Ed Denton

I was just playing with my Sound Devices 633 and I noticed there seems to be something loose moving inside the chassis of the machine. At first I thought it was the AA batteries but I removed them and noticed it still happens. It seems to be coming from the underside of the machine and when I hold it and rotate it I can feel the slight vibration of the moving object inside. Can anyone give suggestions about the cause of this? The 663 seems to be working well otherwise but I just got it so I haven’t used it extensively yet. On the video below you can clearly hear the sound as I rotate it.

Ed, 1. I wouldn't keep shaking it around like that, you may damage tiny little components that don't like having something bang up against them. 2. If you let that part bang around in there while the unit is powered up, you have a serious possibility of shorting 2 contacts that weren't meant to be shorted together. Take it apart, find out what it is, my money is that it's a nut or a bolt/screw. 

good luck, Martin