Mishap with my new recorder

soundtrane

Hi

Sad news - I was using my new Sony PCM-D50 recording some traffic on the road, and a piece of gravel flew on to it (propelled by a rolling tire) and has defaced the front panel of the recorder. Merde!

The LCD display and the buttons are intact, but there are some bad scratches on the panel, made of aluminum...

I feel so bad about this, it's been with me for just ten days... Any ideas how one can get a new face panel for this machine from Sony?

-vin

Scott, i have a proper pouch as well as a pelican 1140 case for it. but when you are using it, it can't be in a pouch you know... The Indian Sony service has no idea about the PCMd50. Have to source it from somewhere else, and i am very sure it does not need to go to a service center. just four screws. voila. hoping to get a lead to a service center or a spare parts place online in the US or elsewhere...

-vin

Vin, I have had some success with Sony Japan.  I believe that their web-site has, maybe, an English page (sounds weird sending an Indian to a Japanese web page and telling him to look for an English translation, but it might work<g>.). 

They may be able to ship a new face-plate to you, maybe even for free.  Tell 'em your tale of woe!!  And what a die-hard Sony fan you are<g>. And how their beautiful product is now scarred and ugly.  You know, lay it on them<g>!

D.

Doug, thanks for the lead - I managed to get an online support form (in Kanji) through. I also contacted a peer - Robin Probyn - a camera guy in Tokyo to see if he could help with this. If you can let me know a little more about your own success with Sony Japan, it will inspire me. :)

-vin

Ok, I got to this website

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/default.aspx

I think the part is available here, only thing is there are two parts listed that are a little confusing:

PCMD50          180255111          180255111          DISPLAY PANEL, LIQUID CRYSTAL                               

PCMD50          A1361514A          A1361514A          PANEL (FRONT) ASSY

I think it is the second one, but i have emailed them to be sure. The service bulletins are only by subscription (some 250$) which obviously is too much to pay for just this one Sony unit that I own. Also, there are no exploded views, parts list etc,. for the PCM-D50, I guess it is only in the subscribed items list. I have also requested them to send me the service bulletin, just a chance being taken here.

Now, next thing is to figure out if they will accept my credit card and ship it to a friend in the US who can send it to me here in Bombay...

Doug, do you remember an email address you used at the Sony Japan website?

-vin

I also contacted a peer - Robin Probyn - a camera guy in Tokyo to see if he could help with this.

Who, by the way, did a great job on the documentary shoot you recommended him for. I've seen and heard some of the material from that shoot (they are currently in Australia still working on it) and it looks and sounds gorgeous.

Wayne