Possible Betso TCX-2+ issue?

Curious as to what any Betso users think about this. If you can’t watch the video, Jim Keaney summed it up:

17 hours ago, JimKeaney said:

It's showing how these units react if/when another TCX-2 transmitter (assigned to the same channel) comes within range (spoiler: nothing happens, until the first tx goes out of range - then the other takes over - but again this is a short unscientific test).

Edited by Daniel Ignacio
Revised for clarity, added Jim’s summary.

6 minutes ago, Bash said:

Doing your test with the units 3" apart might be skewing the result. The 2 Tx may be swamping the RX. Have you tried the same test, but separate the units by say 6ft or maybe more? Good luck, sb

I’m not the author of the video, but I’d try posting a comment on the video.

The video isn't showcasing RF interference. It's showing how these units react if/when another TCX-2 transmitter (assigned to the same channel) comes within range (spoiler: nothing happens, until the first tx goes out of range - then the other takes over - but again this is a short unscientific test). These units can be named with 20 different ID numbers, but I'm not sure what the intended purpose is of that is. Perhaps there is software coming? Probably a question for Betso.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

ID numbers of RXs is there for easy identification of receiver. If you have more pieces, you know well, which one is out of range, which one has dead battery etc. There are 5 channels, which can prevent problem with other systems on one place.

If you know, that your system can be disturbed with other one, you can use TCX-2 as a stand alone units without RF. But to be honest, I think you won't be disturbed by other BETSO systems at one place. We have never heard about this issue..

Thank you for using BETSO!

Kind regards,

Jan Zastera

BETSO ELECTRONICS

On 1/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, janz said:

Hello guys,

ID numbers of RXs is there for easy identification of receiver. If you have more pieces, you know well, which one is out of range, which one has dead battery etc. There are 5 channels, which can prevent problem with other systems on one place.

If you know, that your system can be disturbed with other one, you can use TCX-2 as a stand alone units without RF. But to be honest, I think you won't be disturbed by other BETSO systems at one place. We have never heard about this issue..

Thank you for using BETSO!

Kind regards,

Jan Zastera

BETSO ELECTRONICS

Thanks Jan for the info. I'm still curious regarding the ID of the receivers... Where can I enjoy this telemetry information? Via a TCX-2 in transmitter mode? Or using different model Betso products/software?

Not to deviate from the topic, but I'm just curious about a couple of things, I wonder if any users of this product might be willing to chime in. 

Ive been using a Zaxcom IFB100 transmitter with ERX2TCDs for a few years now and although I like the idea of audio and TC being transmitted together and updated TC keeping sync, the truth is that the ERXs are fragile and need to be serviced often, and the IFB100 emits a squelch into my comtek transmitter no matter what I do. So I am thinking about going a different direction. My questions are:

1- Does the transmitter bleed or emit any kind of sonic or RF interference with other devices in your bag?

2- Are you able to power the transmitter off of your BDS with some sort of battery eliminator?

Thanks for any info in advance. 

9 hours ago, JimKeaney said:

Thanks Jan for the info. I'm still curious regarding the ID of the receivers... Where can I enjoy this telemetry information? Via a TCX-2 in transmitter mode? Or using different model Betso products/software?

Hello Jim,

you can enjoy this information on every RX in the network or TX, of course. On TCX-2 when pushing up button. On SBOX-2RF when pushing left button.
It is written in the manual.

Thank you for using of our products!

Kind regards,

Jan

40 minutes ago, JonG said:

Not to deviate from the topic, but I'm just curious about a couple of things, I wonder if any users of this product might be willing to chime in. 

Ive been using a Zaxcom IFB100 transmitter with ERX2TCDs for a few years now and although I like the idea of audio and TC being transmitted together and updated TC keeping sync, the truth is that the ERXs are fragile and need to be serviced often, and the IFB100 emits a squelch into my comtek transmitter no matter what I do. So I am thinking about going a different direction. My questions are:

1- Does the transmitter bleed or emit any kind of sonic or RF interference with other devices in your bag?

2- Are you able to power the transmitter off of your BDS with some sort of battery eliminator?

Thanks for any info in advance. 

Hello JonG,

from our point of view and experiences of many and many customers:

1) No, it really shouldn't make any interference with othe devices in your bag.

2) Battery life of TCX-2 is really good. On NiMH about 30 hours, Alkaline about 25 hours. So battery eliminator is not necessary.

Thank you a lot.

Jan

34 minutes ago, janz said:

Hello Jim,

you can enjoy this information on every RX in the network or TX, of course. On TCX-2 when pushing up button. On SBOX-2RF when pushing left button.
It is written in the manual.

Thank you for using of our products!

Kind regards,

Jan

Hello JonG,

from our point of view and experiences of many and many customers:

1) No, it really shouldn't make any interference with othe devices in your bag.

2) Battery life of TCX-2 is really good. On NiMH about 30 hours, Alkaline about 25 hours. So battery eliminator is not necessary.

Thank you a lot.

Jan

Thanks for your quick response. Despite the good battery life, if it lives in my bag I want it on my BDS, and not to have to mess with batteries. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that a little battery eliminator with a standard hirose power input would be a welcome accessory to me. Food for thought :)

2 hours ago, JonG said:

Thanks for your quick response. Despite the good battery life, if it lives in my bag I want it on my BDS, and not to have to mess with batteries. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that a little battery eliminator with a standard hirose power input would be a welcome accessory to me. Food for thought :)

The auto-on & auto-jam features really make external powering a non-issue for me.  As long as the battery is good, at the top of the day (let's say you forgot to put a fresh one in) the receivers will take a jam and stay in sync for as long as the receiver battery has juice.

That being said, one less thing to do is always welcome on a busy shoot.  

4 minutes ago, jason porter said:

The auto-on & auto-jam features really make external powering a non-issue for me.  As long as the battery is good, at the top of the day (let's say you forgot to put a fresh one in) the receivers will take a jam and stay in sync for as long as the receiver battery has juice.

That being said, one less thing to do is always welcome on a busy shoot.  

Jason, you are right. Thank you for describing it to JonG!

• 3 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 11:17 AM, janz said:

Jason, you are right. Thank you for describing it to JonG!

I happen to agree with Jon. If this had a battery eliminator, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for my cart. Will one of lectrosonics AA eliminators work from an electrical standpoint?