Hello… again!

Allen Rowand

Wanted to take a moment and say hello- I used to be on the board years ago when I worked for Metric Halo. I've been away from audio, but am trying to get into doing corporate video and documentaries. Time to re-up my audio game, so I'll be lurking here as I get back into the swing of things. I also have an idea that might be of interest to the Mix Pre 3/6/10 crowd… more in the DIY forum soon.

I hope to catch up with some folks I knew here previously (paging @soundmanjohn!) as well.

Best regards,

Allen

Hi Vas, thanks for the welcome!

John, it has been way too long. I hope all's well with you!

I'm really looking forward to picking up a MixPre, I'd like a 6 but may have to settle for a 3 due to budget constraints. Either will be a nice step up from the function of my USBPre 2 and the audio quality of my Tascam DR-60.

11 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

I'm really looking forward to picking up a MixPre, I'd like a 6 but may have to settle for a 3 due to budget constraints.

On the upside, at least you're losing one input if you're going down from the MixPre6 to the MixPre3, if you're using it with TC in the bag (as the MixPre6 loses 5/6, one reason why I don't like it as I feel 4 is just too few inputs practically speaking. Instead have my eyes on the MixPre10T for maybe next year).

As much as I'd love a MixPre10T, it'd be complete overkill for me.

I'll be using the MixPre as a desktop interface to replace my USBPre2, as well as on camera. On the desktop I only need one input for doing voiceover work. I'm currently getting by with two channels on my camera, using PluralEyes and exporting XML into Davinci Resolve.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how to handle expansion down the road, and I'll be asking those questions in the main MixPre 3/6 thread.

On 12/28/2017 at 2:53 AM, IronFilm said:

On the upside, at least you're losing one input if you're going down from the MixPre6 to the MixPre3, if you're using it with TC in the bag (as the MixPre6 loses 5/6, one reason why I don't like it as I feel 4 is just too few inputs practically speaking. Instead have my eyes on the MixPre10T for maybe next year).

Just pulled the trigger on a MixPre 6. The MixPre 3 was just a little too gimped with only 3 channels, and even if I got a cheap external pre/mixer it would still be a kludge and cost as much as a MixPre 6. I don't see myself needing TC in the near future, although I'm interested to see if I can loop the HDMI from my Blackmagic Pocket through my EVF and record TOD to the MixPre.

@IronFilm, I wanted to thank you for the amount of info you've put out there about the Zoom F4/F8- I read a number of your posts and spent time considering it instead of the MP6. If I was setting myself up to work from a bag I might have gone with the F4, but I think the size of the MP6 will work better for me. It's great to have choices!

We're spoiled for choices in 2017 (oops, 2018 now!) in the sub $1000 market for recorders, so long as you think carefully over your options first it is hard to go wrong! :-)

On 1/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, Allen Rowand said:

I don't see myself needing TC in the near future, although I'm interested to see if I can loop the HDMI from my Blackmagic Pocket through my EVF and record TOD to the MixPre.

I'd be skeptical if that works for start/stopping, but worth giving it go to see if you're lucky (might at least get passed accurate time perhaps). But I suspect the HDMI trigger flag will get stripped once the HDMI goes through your EVF. 

It is a great pity that Sound Devices didn't do what Tascam did with their DR701D, which was to have HDMI pass through. Thus you could send HDMI straight to your recorder, and out to your monitor afterward. In the process being 100% sure your sound recorder would be working fine with HDMI as it is being sent it first. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd be skeptical if that works for start/stopping, but worth giving it go to see if you're lucky (might at least get passed accurate time perhaps). But I suspect the HDMI trigger flag will get stripped once the HDMI goes through your EVF. 

I'm using a Pocket Cinema, so it's more of a shame that Blackmagic didn't implement HDMI record triggers! I would think that this would be a relatively easy feature to add in firmware, but they're done updating the Pocket. Maybe if they make a second generation Micro…

7 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

I'm using a Pocket Cinema, so it's more of a shame that Blackmagic didn't implement HDMI record triggers!

Oh darn! I own a Pocket, never realised it was missing. 

Used to be vlogging my sound adventures with a Samsung J2 (which is shi*t, doesn't even do FHD!), but now I've switched to doing them mostly with my Pocket Cinema Camera (which is tricky though, as no forward facing screen! But then again my J2 didn't have that either. Some of the unboxings are done with my Sony PMW-F3 instead, with a friend holding it):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCniNTuAtkFiSCQNfIaw9SJw

I would think that this would be a relatively easy feature to add in firmware, but they're done updating the Pocket.

At least BMD has been very good to us with firmware updates in the past, the Pocket today is a totally different camera to when it was first released! (BMCC at release vs BMCC today is even more drastic!)

Maybe if they make a second generation Micro…

The rumor mills is that they are working on a small 4K camera at the moment, but have heat issues etc to overcome first. And won't be announcing it early until it is 100% ready to ship. (like they used to do in the past. But stopped doing now, when they announced the latest URSA Mini Pro it was 100% ready to ship)