Apple Offering Battery Replacement Discount on Older iPhones

Christopher Salazar

After an outcry from iPhone users that Apple is slowing down older iPhones to prolong battery life, the Verge is reporting:

Apple says that batteries are “consumable components,” and is offering anyone with an iPhone 6 or later a battery replacement for $29 starting in late January through December 2018 — a discount of $50 from the usual replacement cost. Apple’s also promising to add features to iOS that provide more information about the battery health in early 2018, so that users are aware of when their batteries are no longer capable of supporting maximum phone performance.

Visit Apple’s website for more info:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

This would be a great way to extend the useable life of older devices still in workflows. 

Good. Maybe also time to move beyond the rediculous business model of selling us all a new phone (computer) every two years or less. No reason you shouldn't be able to get four or five years of use out of these things unless you physically trash it somehow . For 90% of users they’re just email/Facebook checkers and YouTube streamers. Pretty sure the phone I had five years ago did those things just fine. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2018 at 7:07 AM, Michael Miramontes said:

For the past 3 weeks now my iPhone has been disconnecting 90% of all calls I make or receive. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hang on. You want to make phone calls with your iPhone? There's your problem right there. Don't let the product name fool you.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:07 AM, Michael Miramontes said:

For the past 3 weeks now my iPhone has been disconnecting 90% of all calls I make or receive. Anyone else experiencing this?

Nope working as well (ie- pretty good, not perfect) as before. Provider: Verizon Wireless. Location: Mostly San Francisco Bay Area. Same with my wife's phone. And not hearing complaints from friends and colleagues (though I haven't asked).

Any idea what's up in LA (or wherever you're trying to conduct calls)? Think it's your phone?

• 1 year later...

iPhone 6 user for 4-5 years, been dealing with an iOS update that has severely crippled my GPS performance. Currently at V12.2. Waze says no gps... Google Maps seems to function almost as normal, but acts very sketchy - resets my position/route often. Have tried many recommended GPS reset techniques but no real reliable improvement. 

Perhaps related to /the root of the problem, I have noticed apps and safari pages reloading more and more often, like the cache/memory is too taxed. Maybe it’s thanks in part to all the hours I’ve left the phone on with Wingman open while recording!

Battery health is shot to shit so now I gotta weigh out buying just a new battery orrr a whole new phone. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FWIW, I replaced the battery on my son's iPhone 6S last week, Amazon battery kit was around $20.00. I wanted to do it as a challenge just to see if I could do it. Thank goodness for YouTube! I have to say, it wasn't easy, besides prying open the case and making sure to not bend or break any of the screen or battery/power supply ribbon cables, there are five screws I had to remove that are the smallest screws I've ever seen in my life, they were almost the size of a flea. Most of them were different length too and if you accidentally insert the wrong length screw into the wrong hole, you short out the phone so if you are ever going to try this, you had better be REALLY organized.

Had on my strongest reading glasses and my Petzl hiking LED headlamp and it was still hard to see some of the screws and holes. Prognosis for the patient is very good, phones been running great for the past week and holds a ridiculously long charge. Apple purposefully engineers this to be a pain in the ass so you are forced to use them and be without your phone for probably 1-2 weeks. Glad I tried it but defnitely not for the clumsy, heavy handed or faint of heart. Most repair websites rate it a 4 out of 5 stars for repair difficulty. What you are doing isn't that difficult but the minute size and tensions of the screws into the boards, etc. makes it a very delicate job.

• 1 year later...

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/apple-announces-self-service-repair/