Pairing Mix-Pre 10T with mixing board/console - suggestions?

Dave

Hi All,

Was watching a review video for the Sound Devices Mix-Pre 10T whereby it was suggested that this recorder might pair well with a console style mixing board with linear faders, leaving the Mix-Pre to function strictly as a recorder. What board might be a good candidate for this function? Since the 10T has limited outputs (4?) would monitoring select record enabled tracks from the board mixer present problems?  Have the 10T coming and curious about maxing its potential.

Thanks kindly for your thoughts - as always, very much appreciated.

Cheers and Happy 2018,

Dave

Not sure I understand your question (and I'm not a regular console user) but if your HPs are plugged into the board you might patch HP O/P of recorder into 'return' I/P of board for "monitoring select record enabled tracks", which you would select from the recorder's monitoring options. ?

Since the MixPre10T does not have direct outs for each mic pre, I don't see how a mixer will be of any benefit for real-time mixing. 

You could mix the streamed USB audio via your DAW, with each track placed in record monitor mode and a midi control surface providing the faders. I am not sure of the latency this setup will introduce, but it is likely to be significant, and unacceptable to anyone used to receiving a near real-time mix from a conventional mixer setup.

The other option is to use a conventional mixer as the front end of your system and providing a split signal (either through the direct outs of the mixer, or (preferred) via a mic level pre-split) to the 10T.

Both of the above methods are cludgy and require a lot of extra gear and cabling. 

13 minutes ago, ronmac said:

Since the MixPre10T does not have direct outs for each mic pre, I don't see how a mixer will be of any benefit for real-time mixing. 

No, I‘m pretty sure sure the OP wants to use a mixer before the MixPre, recording both the mix and the isos. 

Really any mixer could do this as long as it has the right number of outs. 

In fact, when I was still using my Audio Developments board, I often missed the extra two inputs on my 788T, so I could record the mix as well as 8 isos. This should work well with the MixPre

You can use the direct outs of any mixer (that has them) to then go into the MixPre-10T. You can route anything you want to the outputs of the 10T as well, so you can send a return to the mixer and monitor it that way. 

I could see it getting a little clumsy, though. You'd have to be careful to keep track of what you have routed to the L+R tracks on the MP-10T. It doesn't have infinite routing. The inputs go to their tracks, and then you can pan those tracks left, center, or right, and that's it. Like I said about the outputs, you can send anything you want to the left or right. 

So, this means you need to make sure you assign what you want to the L and R on the MP-10T. You'd also need to make sure you have your levels calibrated properly. 

Even then, the mic pres are so good in the MixPre recorders I'd want to put something really nice in front of it, and that won't be cheap. 

I concur with my fellow PSMs, any board w/ direct outs (or an adequate number of pre fader aux sends) would work. You could plug a return from the recorder into an unsigned channel or 2 trk.  as a return to monitor the recorder's internal mix. As was said, you would want a mixer with really good preamps.