View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

Only time to take a quickie was during load out before it went back into the truck. A great shot to end the week.

post-607-0-44573600-1338791724.jpg

Buena vista park? Is that all your stuff? Maybe you could come set up my next concert in my ocean beach back yard! :D

Buena vista park? Is that all your stuff? Maybe you could come set up my next concert in my ocean beach back yard! :D

Hey Seth,

This was actually at Walnut Creek's Art and Wine Festival. Two stages, I was taking care of the larger stage. The first cart you see are the Nexo S1210/1230 mains, smooth sounding, followed by Genie lifts and so forth.

Dear god no do I ever want to own all this stuff, not mine. I'm assuming your Ocean Beach backyard must be the beach itself!

I recorded the first of hopefully many Squareup commercials yesterday. The job was all last minute, 10 wardrobe changes, along with the location being on one of the noisiest streets in San Francisco. As you can see in the picture and to my pleasant surprise the cafe we shot in was acoustically treated on the ceiling. Why can't all cafe's have ceilings like this, it made my job very manageable even though I had to rewire the costumes a bunch.

Hey Keenan,

Was this actually shot upside-down? How were the acoustics? Despite all the wardrobe changes, was a boom manageable without needing the lavs? Awesome stuff with Squareup.

Thursday's Strawberry Patch Farm w/ 4 classes of high school students and faculties picking and eating the reds off the vines. Yum! Football-size field w/ 3x Lectro SRa and 6x LMa/SMQV 50mW still getting great signal.

Documentary turned Reality/ENG day became a bus chase for approx 30 miles with ext. antenna on our vehicle.

Finally ending the day at Quarry Lakes in Fremont, CA..

post-607-0-41786900-1339321409.jpg

post-607-0-90234200-1339321426.jpg

post-607-0-56956700-1339321440.jpg

Spent yesterday mostly in the bilge (although they called it the galley) of a tug-boat going up and down the River Thames recording effects for a colleague who's the sound designer for an immersive experience being made for sponsors of the London Olympics. Fairly uneventful day, except for the antics of a separate crew filming an unrelated helicopter chase, either for the new James Bond movie, or for the opening ceremony of the Olympics, no-one seemed to know which, including the river police who nosed alongside to see what the old tub fitted with three (count 'em) Red Epics, five MKH50s and a Soundfield ST450 was doing. The Reds were fitted to a very clever device called PerfectHorizon which kept them dead level, regardless of how much the boat was pitching and rolling.

My kit - SD788T taking the feed from the five MKH50s and a MKH30/40 Mid-Side set-up for interior and wild stuff and Metric Halo 2882 +DSP 2d modified (bought as a beta-test prototype in 1999 and still going strong) taking the feed from the Soundfield ST450, mounted on the roof.

The 'copter crews (Talent copter and camera-chase copter) flew through Tower Bridge for a grand finale, whilst we and all the other bridge and river traffic waited patiently for them to go away so that we could get on with our lives. Finally finished two hours behind schedule, but with some good (when the camera crew finally managed to stop talking) river atmos. I lost my hat to a gust of wind and the river on one visit to the open air, so if anyone finds a "Hamlet on Broadway 1999" baseball cap washed up on some foreign shore, it's mine.

Best wishes,

John

post-2730-0-19410300-1339359291.jpg

post-2730-0-86424300-1339359295.jpg

post-2730-0-17669100-1339359299.jpg

post-2730-0-63096200-1339359302.jpg

Friday's campaign with Alex Smith and Patrick Willis from the San Francisco 49ers. Wireless coordination was extremely tough. Multiple cams needs almost the exact same wireless kits for B-side handheld talks, off-side solo interviews, camera hops from audio rig, while the A-cam is doing something else entirely different 500ft. away recording the same signals with an additional sets of different wireless for other coverage. One very interesting scenario was when A-cam in elevator 1 5th floor, C-cam on 6th floor, and B-cam in elevator 2 lobby covering different folks with extremely clear reception from the Lectro SRas on 6th floor all happening in downtown San Francisco. We needed to change frequencies on the fly per camera depending on who was with what cam rig. Chase vehicle two blocks away from talent vehicle also had great reception coming from the stock Lectro SRa 1/4 antennas. Surprising results.

Here's a video uploaded by a spectator about 20 minutes after we wrapped this specific location!

Demolition work inside Madison Square Garden. Week #1 of the second summer of construction / renovation. I'm on a project now where we will be following the entire season's worth of work. Can anyone guess how they got the 2 giant cranes down there? There are also 2 more cranes due within the week to keep up with the demolition, so there will be 4 total cranes of that size on the floor.

I love my job.

post-3713-0-83137800-1339538993.jpg

I didn't feel that taking pics would be right (for reasons soon to be obvious), but I spent some time today setting up and recording a grave-side eulogy at a funeral for an 86 year old woman. One of the more unusual recording gigs I've ever had, but I'm glad I was able to capture some memories for the family. FWIW, there was no video at this, only sound recording. I was recording in a coat and tie, so that was a first for me.

I don't have photo from office today.

Short film in Thessaloniki (Greece).

Booming. The temperature?

37 Celsious - 98.6 Fahrenheit.

My hands, my head all of my body is "burning". Hehe

Also good job from microphone. Rode NTG-2.

Performing nice with this temperature.