View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

View from my cart Friday, the high desert of Lancaster. At last a situation appropriate for using panorama on my not-so-new-anymore iPhone. I've resisted buying a real pano camera for decades knowing that when the occasion presented that camera would probably be at home. Thank you Steve Jobs.

Fred

post-1416-0-64725500-1352054994_thumb.jp

Arm # 293 season 1 Mr.Young. The Arts and Crafts Kit ride on my traveling counterweight, I color ever line, always have, always will and this was a great place to keep the kit, never lost a pen, or had one stolen or borrowed without a return. The view on the otherhand is the best , has to be. Everyday brings a new challenge which I look forward too the most. The new show is doing 32 pages plus a day, and yes Senator Mike, I'm neither bragging or complaining,,,, just saying. Some crazy boom action happening with long scenes and the big set with the glass wall, have not been caught in the glass yet. Then there was the earthquake last Saturday 7.7 on the scale about 500 miles away, yes I could feel it, thought someone was kicking my base but when I looked around, no one was near the base, this went on for about 20: the lights and the grids were moving pretty good as well, we were in a china tea shop set but nothing fell of the shelves

Phil (VE7-KJR)

post-1033-0-82640000-1352074676_thumb.jp

Phil, think about ordering a monitor drop-down bracket. I see from the picture you don't have one but it can make life a lot easier by lowering the monitor by about 10 inches. When there's too much going on for the boom pusher to keep an eye on the monitor, you'll find that a lowered monitor tray means you have fewer near-crashes.

Phil, think about ordering a monitor drop-down bracket. I see from the picture you don't have one but it can make life a lot easier by lowering the monitor by about 10 inches. When there's too much going on for the boom pusher to keep an eye on the monitor, you'll find that a lowered monitor tray means you have fewer near-crashes.

Hi Laurence, I'm running a 21in: flat screen, had to make an adaptor to fit the screen to the "MT". It is set so perfect for me. I made a custom hood for it so it flags the stray light of the screen, even when I was outside for two days, there was never a problem viewing my screen. I have it set as low as I can without it getting in the way and yes it is the highest point on my boom but I never really crashed it. I perfer that I'm the only one that moves it except my pusher on a moving shot. I still can't believe how stupid some people can be, LOOK-UP. I'm really happy with the set-up of the new arms,so smooth, just like butter.

Phil

Laurence : this might give you a better view of my montor mount :

You can see the hood I made, had it for 3 years now,works great, my crank will run into the bottom right edge of the hood if I were to drop it down any lower.In the "tray" is a 3/4 in: plywood piece cut to fit the tray and clamped to the tray.bolted to the plywood is a Matthews baby plate and bolted to the back of the monitor is a Matthews Monitor Mount for Baby 5/8' spigot. I have since painted the wood black so it blends in better. Fisher should think about a "MT" for these big heavy flat screens, when was the last time you worked with a tube.? Mine is a little front heavy, so on the next build I will solve that problem.

Phil

post-1033-0-75366200-1352097227_thumb.jp

Just landed on Lectrosonics:

http://www.lectroson...astructure.html

While we were on this project, we got the chance to head up to Skywalker's Scoring Stage and to my surprise none other than Leslie Ann Jones was engineering for us! Mid-day our special guest Randy Thom stepped in for some extra fun stuff.

Missed the op with Leslie, though, credit to Mr. Thom. *Pete, Keenan, and the rest of the gang, this one is for you.

post-607-0-08831700-1351235415_thumb.jpg

So jealous!

So jealous!

:) I'm even more jealous that you mixed "Big Bang." Got it on DVD! Between the film world, symphonies, and all these live events, especially musicals and Broadways, it's quite fun designing and mixing shows on a part time basis. A good change-up from time to time.

Tom, if you're around or visiting California particularly NorCal during next summer of 2013, I'll invite you to the musical of Sweeney Todd w/ an 80pc orchestra performing behind the full cast! Sit at FOH with me or a good seat up the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics from my office in July. We went to Baikanur, Kazakhstan to film a Soyuz rocket taking three astronauts to the ISS. The rocket took off from the same launch pad Yuri Gagarin took off from in 1961. Incredible. For a few days, there was no where on Earth I would have rather been.

We were so close to the rocket, something that NASA would never allow. We were allowed to film the rocket in it's (surpirsingly shabby) workshop where it's finally assembled, (as you can see with the Cinela Piano next to the first stage of the rocket) trundling along train tracks and being delivered to the launch site, and even allowed to leave two cameras 100m away from the rocket for take off. These cameras had to be positioned and left 14 hours before the launch. They were powered by a car battery and recorded to Nano flash. Nano flash recorders are able to loop record, or go over what they have already recorded in a two hour time frame, so the camera man had a mad dash back to the site after the launch to press stop - but it worked and he got a couple of amazing shots.

You can see the photo below of the C300, well it's buried under sand bags and gaffer tape, with the car battery. I knew whatever mics I left this close to the rocket wouldn't work well, I was expecting levels of 150dB +, but I put a SM58 and a DPA 4063 on the C300 and just left the internal camera mic on the other CanonXF500 camera. This actually caught some good sound of the fuel before ignition, but then crapped out. The SM58 however got some good close blast sound, and whilst the DPA crapped out for the main blast, but came back to life for the sound of the pebbles and dust that hit the lens! I left a Schoeps MS rig positioned about 700m away to capture the main sound. It was amazing. When the rocket took off, we were 1500m away, about a mile, and I believe at Cape Canaveral you can only get 6 miles away. After ignition I thought there was something going wrong, it was going to explode, the sound was so jaw dropping, there was the low freq rumble which I was expecting, but there was air distortion too - sounds like the sky is being ripped open.

After 45 seconds of the most intense sound I've ever heard, they were gone, and they get into space in 8 minutes. Definately one the those "I'll never forget" moments, and of course makes me glad I do this job.

post-1185-0-36385100-1354107480_thumb.jp

post-1185-0-19901200-1354107532_thumb.jp

post-1185-0-39204600-1354107558_thumb.jp

post-1185-0-36214200-1354107579_thumb.jp