View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

Had a very relaxing day @ NY street Paramount backlot yesterday.

a/b wide-tight ..wires on everybody,lots of extras running around making noise,planes,sirens,the usual..wahoo!.

Just got home.  1st half of day was five actors, 2 pages, all but ONE line was V.O. - snore!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best things about my job is the opportunity to travel. Cannes was my office for 4 days last week. A 2-man doc crew with a bit too much stuff to hand carry.

Cannes+1.jpg

The thing that hit me the most is what happens in the Palais des Festivals (the convention center). This is not red carpet stuff, it won't make it to the arts section of your morning paper, but it is the 'raison d'être' of the festival; selling films. Thousands, yes thousands of films looking for distribution. Films I've never heard of, and will never get a chance to see. There's got to be a few gems in there.

Cannes+4.jpg

Cannes+3.jpg

With Disney's UP as the opening film, there's no ambiguity; Cannes is all business. Four storey luxury yachts lined up in the marina, rented for a day, to hold private parties. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce. The wealth on display over such a small area is obscene.

Cannes+2.jpg

Cannes+5.jpg

Documentary sound is a great way to make a living. You're in it, but you're not part of it.

I am speechless...  having such a history with both Crew and Roger, what can I say. What I'm really thinking is how I wish I had looked good enough in those days to work with my shirt off --- you guys look way too casual to be actually working.

-  Jeff Wexler

Cool or a Fool, all depends who is looking at us and when I suppose. That picture is from 79/80 AFAICT... These days it would be considered stupid to be in the sun like that, but back then it was so much fun. Sure beats working in an editing suit which is what I thought I wanted to do after film school. The best thing I bring from this and all of my pictures and snap shots, is that I learned so much from those that I had the pleasure to work with. Fun is an element we should never over look in our work, and it should go with the fact that everyday is worth having fun if possible. BTW, I look the same as back then.

CrewC

Lakers........

Jeff, was Haskell there? He has been a big fan forever.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Crew,

Your picture has inspired me to break out my old OP shorts and wear 'em to work.  Sadly, I won't be the only guy still wearing them to work. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the view today--spots in German and Russian for a ladies hair product with opera star Anna Netrebko.  Big "dancing waters" programmable fountains deal plus show lighting setup in Hangar 12, Alameda.  Playback and sync.  Yes, the figure standing in the water has lines...and has to sing at normal 1.5x and 2x speed to playback as well.

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815081529_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ubiquitous 702T--in my worlds.  Here are setups from 3 consecutive days (with gear turnarounds in between).

7/16/09: night shoot, Radio shack spot, record on 702T, playback for actor bug from Mac w/ Audacity

7/17/09: all day recording VO in a small studio, to 702T

7/18/09: HD multicam video shoot w/ two orchestras with mixed Chinese and Western instruments, 22 tracks.

Record in Metacorder, 702T is TC generator, clock source, hall mic-pair preamp (via AES) .

Maybe I better get another one as backup....

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815081619_thumb.jpg

post-15-130815081623_thumb.jpg

post-15-130815081627_thumb.jpg