View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

I love this! Laurence's comment, Philip's comment, Crew's incredible "well, let's get it done!" attitude...  this is priceless. In the very early days, I used to work with Pytka once a year, maybe, always something very simple (thankfully) and he never gave me a hard time --- but it was tough to watch how he dealt with his regular people and how arbitrary and abusive he could be one minute and then pleasant and engaging with me, wanting to talk about movies I had worked on and all that stuff.

Thank you for posting that, Crew, truly a gem and a reminder of how far we have come in terms of the technology. From another post, regarding the Behringer 32, who could ever have predicted that we could have a digital mixer with 32 channels for $2000. The scary part is how some new director coming from reality shows or music videos would expect the sound mixer would have this beast on a TV commercial.

Flashback VFTO

Total: 9 actors

Picture: After reharsal

Total tracks: 2

One actor is very close to camera (close up) and the rest are behind him (medium shot for them). As you can see we placed the lavalier outside from sweater (little down from collar). He has three lines in this position (face to camera). The rest lines it was with his back to camera (another close up after). In the second close up for him; we didn't take off the lavalier or to hide it. The rest 8 actors covered by the boom (only, no extra wireless).

A great collaboration between me (boom), sound mixer, camera and director.

post-10297-0-06972700-1413933503_thumb.jstill: " for the beer coozee "

drinking (alcohol) while working is not professional,

really...not kool...

so is working for free for a prospective client and a crazy talent....

how many one hitters are in everyones bag on this forum?

How many producers rip on me for having a one hitter in my bag when I don't even smoke on jobs?

Sometimes listening is more productive than talking Senator.

1 beer doesnt drive my knobs into telephone poles.

EDIT:

If i wanted to be kool I probably wouldn't be behind the scenes brotherrrrrrrrr.

Hey Phillp, Yes to pre-formatting the tapes. (Done in real time as you recall)  I don't think that after that series of Nike spots we ever had as high of a track count. More like 3, 4, 5, 6 people so it was only one DA88 or multiple HHB's running the same time with the same timecode. The drag was we went from booming and an occasional radio to radios all the time even when a boom sounded better. This is after 20 years of an open mic on all his spots. The DA88 had no TC so I laid the timecode from the mix Nagra back to one of the ISO Trks on the DA88.  One way we also did it was to have multiple HHB's as our ISO Trks. 2 radio mics per HHB and then line out to my Cooper. 3 HHB's and a 4th for the mix out of the Cooper for dailies and editorial. They all shared the same timecode. Crazy way to do it but it was much more portable than the DA88. 

I soon passed the account on to my brother Moe who mixes for Joe still. He bought a DA98 w TC to do the work back them. Of course all this is so simple to do today but back then it was a cluster fuck of the highest order.

CrewC

still: " How many producers rip on me for having a one hitter in my bag when I don't even smoke on jobs? "

one is too many,  and smoking is another story, but has been pretty well clamped down on anyway.

" how many one hitters are in everyones bag on this forum? "

while on the job (rate of pay has nothing to do with this) again, IMO, one is too many.

let's ask!

Hey Phillp, Yes to pre-formatting the tapes. (Done in real time as you recall)  I don't think that after that series of Nike spots we ever had as high of a track count. More like 3, 4, 5, 6 people so it was only one DA88 or multiple HHB's running the same time with the same timecode. The drag was we went from booming and an occasional radio to radios all the time even when a boom sounded better. This is after 20 years of an open mic on all his spots. The DA88 had no TC so I laid the timecode from the mix Nagra back to one of the ISO Trks on the DA88.  One way we also did it was to have multiple HHB's as our ISO Trks. 2 radio mics per HHB and then line out to my Cooper. 3 HHB's and a 4th for the mix out of the Cooper for dailies and editorial. They all shared the same timecode. Crazy way to do it but it was much more portable than the DA88. 

I soon passed the account on to my brother Moe who mixes for Joe still. He bought a DA98 w TC to do the work back them. Of course all this is so simple to do today but back then it was a cluster fuck of the highest order.

CrewC

Even though the routing and moni stuff would be a drag with multiple HHBs, the modular approach would be way more portable and could go DC without faffing around with an invertor (my DA88s didn't like invertors much).   I'd guess it all fit on yr cart better too.

I don't think that was a crazy way to go at all--esp if you were doing a traveling job (which a lot of P's were).  I call it a better solution than DTRS decks for a dialog-driven gig for sure.

p

And you know this how? Have you worked for him? 

CrewC

Yes, once. That was enough. Watched him brutalize the 1st AC; first verbally then physically. We weren't even shooting - Pytka got bored and saw an easy target. The AC was just prepping his camera. Criminal.

It's no wonder he pays way over scale.  You have to to put up with him.

MirroR 

Don't remember the exact year but probably between '91-'97. The product was either Coke or Pepsi. We had at least one move during the day but the incident happened at the beach. Zuma, I'm thinking, big parking lot. I remember there being a lot of down time with nothing going on. Pytka shooting ball and hanging out in his trailer.  Then suddenly the world was on fire and you couldn't move fast enough.

still: " How many producers rip on me for having a one hitter in my bag when I don't even smoke on jobs? "

one is too many,  and smoking is another story, but has been pretty well clamped down on anyway.

" how many one hitters are in everyones bag on this forum? "

while on the job (rate of pay has nothing to do with this) again, IMO, one is too many.

let's ask!

Senator:

new topic "show us your one hitter"?

---dont put the one hitter in my bag btw---- they assume and are wrong. 

definitely try to maintain super professionalism on jobs,  but yet i am atoning for the sins of my youth for which i was encouraged  by the elderly gentleman selling me tires at Sears to keep committing.

Today's session, courtesy of the extremely nice people at RAF Odiham. Comedy moment of the day: me and my RAF minder desperately clinging to the mic stand and leaning into the back-wash at an angle of 45 degrees as the pilot of one machine decided to give us a close up of a take-off. Just about useable, although the directional info is blown all over the place. But a truly memorable session with a bunch of remarkable people, most of whom have done six or seven tours in Afghanistan and are still smiling, if a little crazily!

Regards,

John

post-2730-0-22146300-1414779999_thumb.jp

And this is, in contrast to John's post above, the dullest day, and thereby special enough to be posted here. Some presentation of drills and saws. They invited visitors in a local Hone Depot type store to drill and saw away, but for some bizarre reason they decided to include this robot which would malfunction ALL the time. Luckily, it was just the one day. ... Even typing this is boringpost-6752-14147978641812.jpg. You have to zoom in if you want to see the robot.