View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

The laptop on his back is for video assist and the video villagers all follow him around?  Or, better yet, could someone be editing as he shoots?  Maybe both.

It takes "mobile" to a whole new level.

John B.

Or it just changes "cutting in your head" to "cutting on your back"

;)

The rig is for a new digital"film"camera called SI2K, I worked on a feature here in Sweden last summer were it was used.

It's a new type of system that let you modify the camera in any way you want to. But it was alot of problems with buggy software and fans that started cool down the recorder if a take was too long etc.

-Tobias

Guest Ken Mantlo

How do you get racism from that, imagist?  I don't think it's racist at all.  It's an actual picture of something that actually happened.  As far as what he's capable of: you don't know either. 

As far as funny, if a crossed-eyed guy wearing only a wooden pecker flying a helicopter isn't  funny, then what is? 

Kumbaya

How do you get racism from that, imagist?  I don't think it's racist at all.  It's an actual picture of something that actually happened.

As far as funny, if a crossed-eyed guy wearing only a wooden pecker flying a helicopter isn't  funny, then what is? 

I find the image offensive (and not funny) and I have removed it. An image that requires that much explanation to be deemed not racist, is not something I want on this board. Some may find my action arbitrary and un-warranted, so be it.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler (taking action as Moderator for the first time since 2006).

Guest Ken Mantlo

You must walk around  being offended by most things in life then.  Some see the glass half empty while I see it half full.  The picture wasn't offensive nor did I post it to offend.  It's just a goofy picture.  The fate of it is neither here nor there. 

What I'm offended by is being called racist with nothing to back that claim up.  Imagist, you've got some explaining to do!

Beauty like humor must be in the eye of the beholder. I thought it was funny and  relevant to my pictures of the whacked out camera rig. Oh well.

I would also point out that I have no problem using and trying new ways of story telling by using new tools. I just find this rig to be a bit to much a Rube Goldberg design. I hope that "Rube Goldberg" is not offensive to anyone since we have become PC around here. ;-)

CrewC

As far as what he's capable of: you don't know either.

- exactly.

I did not find the image itself racist and you may not be racist (careless perhaps) but I found the image in combination with its embedded caption racist, in making the crass assertion -

"TECHNOLOGY Enabling the simplest minds to do the most extraordinary tasks"

Mick

Guest Ken Mantlo

- exactly.

I did not find the image itself racist and you may not be racist (careless perhaps) but I found the image in combination with its embedded caption racist, in making the crass assertion -Mick

Thanks for responding.

To clear things up, I'm not a racist nor do I condone racism.

I guess I don't understand where the "race" part comes into this picture and it's attached quote.  Is it that you think that all wooden-pecker-wearing-helicopter-pilots are being grouped together as a race, and as so, are being dis-sed as simple minded?  If you could, please be explicit in your explanation.

Guest Ken Mantlo

I don't know Ken Mantlo, but he is the one who started the topic of "Too Adversarial...."

Richard,

What are you inferring by the above quote? 

I'll give you some insight as to why the thread, "Too adversarial...", was started.  I read a post on another thread that claimed we might be too adversarial, so I thought I'd ask others if they thought we (the royal "we") were.

Your above statement smacks that I'm guilty of something here because I started the other thread that you mentioned.  If anyone is guilty of drawing conclusions without knowing the facts, it's you.  You wrote all that below without even seeing the picture (which, by the way, IS funny and NOT racist).

You're right in saying that this thread should get back to it's lighthearted self.

I'll end by quoting a community organizer, "Can't we all just get along?"

Wow.  I think a lot of people are too quick to voice an opinion without having all the facts.  So, naturally, I'll do my best to commit the same transgression.

I did see the offensive-to-some photo and caption.  Perhaps the original poster erred in putting the photo in the wrong topic.  This was not anyone's "View From The Office" as was the "One Man Band" shot that probably inspired the post being made.  Both are curiosities so I understand that connection, however the now-banned photo might have been more appropriate in "WTF."

Unfortunately, we live in a time when the thought police have made dramatic inroads into controlling other people's words, thoughts, and deeds.  At the mere utterance of the term "racist," people (understandably) go into defensive mode, which, of course, is the goal of the thought police -- keep the other person on the defensive and you have the control.  It's a sad situation and it undermines any real progress we, as a society, need to make.  But, hey, power is seductive -- just visit Washington D.C. some time to see the pursuit of power elevated to almost beyond comprehension.

The fact that the person in the photo has dark skin doesn't make the photo, or the posting of the photo, racist.  The caption doesn't make it racist either, however, I found the caption to definitely be guilty of stereotyping.  The fact that a person comes from a different culture, even one we may consider to be "primitive," or "backward," lacks evidence that the individual is "simple minded."

I don't think anyone had ill intent in this situation, and we'd all do well to keep that in mind.  The original poster of the photo saw a curiosity and posted this photo, since it, too, was a curiosity.  I see no ill intent in that.  Our venerable moderator found it offensive and removed it.  I see no ill intent in that.

People naturally are weighing in because, well, humans have a compelling need to express themselves.  I have just followed suit.  But, let's all keep it friendly.  I don't see any ill intent in any of the precipitating actions, so let's make sure there's none in our comments either.

John B.

As far as I know, Ken didn't write the caption.  Perhaps the author used the term "simple minds" incorrectly, when meaning someone not traditionally exposed to the technology the rest of us are accustomed to in our regular lives.

I found the photo not to be particularly funny, but I also found it neither to be offensive nor racist.  And that's coming from a "screaming liberal".

Robert

Okay, I'm stepping in to moderate again (sorry). I love the topic heading "View From The Office" and I would like it to return to its original purpose. So, if anyone needs to discuss the photo in question (and I do believe that it may have been posted in the wrong place to begin with) any further, start a new topic, please, and possibly just in General Discussion or something. This has gone on too long and strayed too far away from anyone's View From The Office.

-  thanks

-  Jeff Wexler

I agree we should get back to the "View from the office" as it was intended to be. What I find funny is I almost posted this under "WTF", but I thought it matched up well w P Perkins cluster of equipment picture, as did Ken's. Before I let this portion of this thread go, I want to point out the obvious. There is only one race, 'The Human Race'. Peace, Love, n Understanding to all.

CrewC

I agree we should get back to the "View from the office" as it was intended to be. What I find funny is I almost posted this under "WTF", but I thought it matched up well w P Perkins cluster of equipment picture, as did Ken's. Before I let this portion of this thread go, I want to point out the obvious. There is only one race, 'The Human Race'. Peace, Love, n Understanding to all.

CrewC

You're the best and if we play our cards right we might end up with only

ONE topic here --- W T F !  seems it might work for everything

-  Jeff Wexler

Guest Ken Mantlo

Now that a little time has past and I've had some time to clear my head, I what to apologize to imagist.  I'm sure you meant that the picture was distasteful to your liking and your comments were made towards that and not to me personally.  If I've said anything that was offensive to you, or anyone else for that matter, please know it was not meant as a personal attack.  It was just a goofy picture of my Grandpa that I thought tied into Crews goofy pics.  Nothing worth all this excitment.