View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

• 3 weeks later...

Recording a performance by blues/folk musician Charlie Parr, in Eau Claire, WI for a scene from a film.  I also stuck around and recorded his entire 3 hour show later that night.

191836_526437126539_291800065_857020_5961238_o-1.jpg

A clip from the show that evening, filmed with my phone but synced to the UNMIXED audio from my 788t:

And, a few days later, shooting out in the snow somewhere outside of St Paul, MN.

195181_526743193179_291800065_861321_1048933_o.jpg

Thanks, man

Charlie is just plain fantastic.  Ever since I met him I've been trying to get as many people as possible to listen to his music.  Super talented songwriter and just a really cool guy on top of it.  There are loads of videos of him on youtube, you should check some out if you haven't already.  I'll also be putting up more from that show, at some point.

Here's a new Rack d'Amore, featuring my new multitrack recording axe: a JoeCo BBR.  14 tracks today--sax, percussion, electronics and the "long strings" instrument I mentioned a few posts back.  Tmw--a public live gig with way more players--"real proof of concept"...  744 is TC and clock generator, and recorded a stereo mix off the console.  Computer was solely for notes.

phil p

post-15-13081509449_thumb.jpg

Philip,

What did you use for your mic Pres? 

Did you use the inserts off the FOH console?  How do you monitor the tracks?

Andy

I have the BBR model that is designed to work off the inserts of a console.  This makes for a very fast setup (3 DB25s on the back of the JoeCo), and the signal passes through the recorder and back to the console.  Thus if you can hear through your console, you are hearing through the recorder.  Also, when you play back, the playback channels appear on the correct console channel, and can be soloed etc.  The recorder is set up so that in the event of a recorder failure the signal keeps passing through back to the console (like even if you unplugged its power).  The recorder also has a basic monitor mixer in it (w/ stereo out) that I bring back as a stereo return to the console.  (There are other models of BBR with various flavors of digital i/o.) 

phil p

Looks like a great rig for your big music gig's. Do the files load into Pro Tools without any issues?

CrewC

Yeah, they're just BWAVs like Boom Recorder or anything else we use makes.  The BBR has an internal clock and "A"time type generator, I use it like I did my computer-based rigs with the 744 sending it ext clock and (settable) TC.  There's no option ( that I've found) to make poly files on it, but I've found that polys with a lot of channels seem to cause headaches in post anyhow (and only BWF Widget can crack polys with more than 12 chan anyhow--Wave Agent won't do it).

phil p

Hi Phil,  Is the console whose inserts you were using the front of house console?  Or did you have your own dedicated console and splitter? If you are relying on the FOH console then you have to assume that the person mixing is not using the inserts that you want to use. Couldn't that be potentially a problem if he is using those inserts?    If you are using the FOH console for your audio feeds then you really can't use the FOH console for monitoring.  How do you find the monitoring on the blackbox?  Do you find it hard to quickly bring up a track for monitoring? I would think the very small display would make it a little cumbersome.    Right now I am using a friend's Roland digital snake with Roland's cakewalk recording software.  All the mic Pres are in the stage box and you can operate the Pres remotely through software using the same cat5 cable. It is a pretty cool setup. I love Roland's digital snake.  Working with a Cat5 cable instead of 100s of feet of heavy copper is really nice.  It has been very stable but I am still weary of using a computer to record.  I think the Blackbox would be a more stable/reliable recording format. I am thinking I could use the Roland digital snake and a splitter with the black box. This would allow me to be independent from the FOH system.    Andy

New Spiderman movie being shot on RED Epic 3D rig.

I am lucky enough to know the LP on 2nd unit.  The 2nd unit is on "hiatus" but suddenly decided to pick up a couple of shots.  The normal 2nd unit mixer was on a pilot, so in I came.  Lav on a newscaster after the MOS bluescreen 3D MOCO shots.

Exciting to be on a "big show" as a sound guy.

post-485-130815094509_thumb.jpg

New Spiderman movie being shot on RED Epic 3D rig.

I am lucky enough to know the LP on 2nd unit.  The 2nd unit is on "hiatus" but suddenly decided to pick up a couple of shots.  The normal 2nd unit mixer was on a pilot, so in I came.  Lav on a newscaster after the MOS bluescreen 3D MOCO shots.

Exciting to be on a "big show" as a sound guy.

Right on Robert! If you get a chance to snap some other shots, would love to check them out.

From near the summit of the Chilkoot pass (Alaska) this summer. We spent three months in the wilderness of Alaska and the Yukon, re-creating the Yukon gold rush of 1898. One of our guides kept a log and we hiked just over 1100 km's. This was one of the nice days. the next day a snow storm blew in and we could barely see a few feet in front of us.

post-55-130815094513_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,  Is the console whose inserts you were using the front of house console?  Or did you have your own dedicated console and splitter? If you are relying on the FOH console then you have to assume that the person mixing is not using the inserts that you want to use. Couldn't that be potentially a problem if he is using those inserts?    If you are using the FOH console for your audio feeds then you really can't use the FOH console for monitoring.  How do you find the monitoring on the blackbox?  Do you find it hard to quickly bring up a track for monitoring? I would think the very small display would make it a little cumbersome.    Right now I am using a friend's Roland digital snake with Roland's cakewalk recording software.  All the mic Pres are in the stage box and you can operate the Pres remotely through software using the same cat5 cable. It is a pretty cool setup. I love Roland's digital snake.  Working with a Cat5 cable instead of 100s of feet of heavy copper is really nice.  It has been very stable but I am still weary of using a computer to record.  I think the Blackbox would be a more stable/reliable recording format. I am thinking I could use the Roland digital snake and a splitter with the black box. This would allow me to be independent from the FOH system.    Andy

Hold-up cowboy!  The console is mine, these are recording gigs so there isn't an FOH console.  If there was, the direct outs or whatever I can get would run through my console and the JoeCO would still be looking at the inserts of my own board.  It is fabulously easy to monitor anything I want to by using the PFL/AFLs of my console.  Since the signal passes through the JoeCo before it hits the rest of the board, whatever I solo is also soloing the recorder.  If I put a recording into playback, it plays back through the same channels of the board that recorded it, can be soloed and remixed instantly.  The JoeCo display is for confidence pretty much--the console metering is cal'ed to the JoeCo just like you would cal any mixer to any recorder, and I watch those meters and for "overs" on the board's LEDs.  The setup w/ the JoeCo is extremely fast: 1 dsub 25 per 8 channels, clock and TC.  The machine boots ready to record.  I've recorded a lot of location multitrack a lot of ways (including multiple reel-to-reel decks, DA-88s, computers/interfaces) and by comparison the JoeCo is stupid easy and fast (and TINY--the box is about 6 " deep and weighs nothing--the TC limiter in the rack below the JoeCo weighs at least twice as much).    I never plug my recording devices directly into the direct outs or insert point  points of someone else's console (like FOH) w/o having some kind of level control in between--I've been burned that way.  I too prefer a mic split to any other method of getting multichannel feeds, but in the world I inhabit right now that just isn't going to be possible all the time, for good reasons and bad (none of which have a lot to do with my opinion).  The Roland etc systems w/ the digital racks are way cool but also way out of my league right now, sorry to say.

phil p

post-15-130815094793_thumb.jpg

Hold-up cowboy! 

phil p

Ok Buckaroo!  I thought the picture you previously posted was your whole set up since there was no console in the picture.  I guess I should have known better.  Too bad we don't live closer we could combine my digital snake with your JoeCo set up and have a pretty sweet system.  Anyway thanks for explaining your set up. 

Andy

This is Thereas Radka and me on a documentary shoot for Amnesty International, got to use the Fusion 10 on this one which is a bad ass machine, but I still love my 744T. The second pic is the break room during lunch.

Keenan!  Post your pix right side up, dude!  Yr giving me a neckache!  How'd you like the Fusion?

phil p