View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

No fancy gear or big event for this view. I was fortunate enough to spend this last Saturday with 42 WW II vets from the Texas Coast who were brought here to Washington to see their memorial on what's called an Honor Flight. Shortly before this was taken when we first arrived at the Memorial, there were 4 Honor Flight groups visiting, meaning that the veterans outnumbered the regular visitors.

The job's not particularly challenging technically or physically demanding but it's the most rewarding gig I have every year. The guys all smile non-stop and bask in the attention they are rightly given. Before his recent serious illness, Bob Dole made it a point to be here and shake the hand and pose for pictures with all his fellow vets for every Honor Flight visit. The youngster in this photo is 86 if I recall correctly and the oldest is 97. One of their group died unexpectedly on the Tuesday before their visit.

Best regards,

Jim

post-1223-0-45221900-1317079263.jpg

Just worked a 3D shoot at LA Memorial Coliseum, recording the USC Marching Trojan Band in M/S stereo with my small SD744 rig. Amazing sound, incredible experience to hear "Tusk" 20 feet from the band, right on the field. Three simultaneous 3D cameras, one on the crane next to me.

Hmmm -- 3 x 3D cameras... does that make 9D?

--Marc W.

post-261-0-15616900-1317538706.jpg

My bad. Not really a good pic of my rig or office. My cart is on the back deck of the insert car. I stood up and shot this pic. The bead boards n lights n gels were not an issue as the windows were mostly up. We got all the sound needed better than most times. These kind of shoots are fun when the sound is good and the weather and terrain are cool, but I think we could n should shoot these kinds of scenes on a VFX stage for many reasons. That is what I wish we could do with the new tool set we have to work with now. It might be a bit more boring, but the art of illusion is not always exciting, but when it works, it is magic.

CrewC

End of the day of filming at Spaceport America in NM yesterday for Travel Channel. That's Virgin Galactic's WhiteKnight2/Spaceship2 in the bg next to the new hangar. We got to see it do a short test flight. Really Amazing. Looking for passengers to talk to, we met the first guy to drop $200,000 on a ticket. I figured I needed a picture of my Lectro gear being back in its home state.

6257436654_e5fff0f432.jpg

I took more pictures with my DSLR that I'll post when I get home. http://www.flickr.com/photos/xjohnpaulx/with/6256001635/

A view from my office at the final bow of Philippe Jaroussky and the "Apollo's Fire" ensemble, for a shoot @ Hertz Hall @ Cal for French TV. Dinky rig since I had to do lots of doco stuff (the day before all in cabs and on foot throughout SF) in between before and after everything with aerobic repatching and re-configing the 744T to get back into music recording mode. Wonderful music if you like Baroque stuff (which I do). Big props to Doug D (who passed the gig along) and Jay C (who slipped me the passcode to the place where I could grab the cable ends from a pair of DPA omnis flown in ORTF over the stage). This "saved the movie" for me after last minute concert manager nixage of the stand for my main pair, after being repeatedly told it was all good. 450' feet of cable to that pair but worth it! Fave moment: at the end of the job I told Jaroussky (the soloist) and the French director that I'd had fun pretending I was a European for the last few days: they answered as one: "NOT European, FRENCH!!"

phil p

post-17-0-41131000-1320037526.jpg

OMNIs in ORTF? Cardioid perhaps.

I do a lot of choral and orchestral recording using ORTF and I've never heard of OMNI ORTF.

Nope, omnis. Go figure, but that's what they had flown and they weren't changing them for me. Actually, this pair was arrived at through long experimentation and this is what the Music Dept likes I guess. Me, I was just extraordinarily lucky that there were high quality mics of any type already flown in there. No time and no traction--life in doc-world!

phil p

The they really only have a spaced pair, not ORTF. ORTF has to be cardioids for it to be ORTF.

I use a pair of Schoeps CCM4Lg in ORTF for choir and orchestra. Fantasic microphones.

ORTF described

One could also be referring to this setup as IISGISG, short for: If it sounds good, it sounds good.

Terminology < practice and use

The they really only have a spaced pair, not ORTF. ORTF has to be cardioids for it to be ORTF.

I use a pair of Schoeps CCM4Lg in ORTF for choir and orchestra. Fantasic microphones.

ORTF described

Yeah, thanks, I know all that too. They were in the physical orientation of ORTF, that mic positioning and distance, so to satisfy you perhaps we can call the set up "ORTF Americain" or something. I'm glad you like your Schoeps. In any case the sound was lovely and I was a beggar not a chooser at this gig.

phil p

A view from my office at the final bow of Philippe Jaroussky and the "Apollo's Fire" ensemble, for a shoot @ Hertz Hall @ Cal for French TV. Dinky rig since I had to do lots of doco stuff (the day before all in cabs and on foot throughout SF) in between before and after everything with aerobic repatching and re-configing the 744T to get back into music recording mode. Wonderful music if you like Baroque stuff (which I do). Big props to Doug D (who passed the gig along) and Jay C (who slipped me the passcode to the place where I could grab the cable ends from a pair of DPA omnis flown in ORTF over the stage). This "saved the movie" for me after last minute concert manager nixage of the stand for my main pair, after being repeatedly told it was all good. 450' feet of cable to that pair but worth it! Fave moment: at the end of the job I told Jaroussky (the soloist) and the French director that I'd had fun pretending I was a European for the last few days: they answered as one: "NOT European, FRENCH!!"

phil p

French. Always have lifted the nose up and think they know everything. :ph34r: