View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

The office isn't always on location--we all end up doing a lot of testing of new gear and setups. For instance--can a "Phantom" hi-speed video camera do sync sound (24/23.98, double system) as well?  What would the workflow be?  My friends at Chater Camera (in Berkeley) have a Phantom and wanted to know.  Here's Chater Camera partner Jay Farrington today at the start of one of our test runs.  Stay tuned for the results.

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815084209_thumb.jpg

Tonight's adventure--live TV!  No isos, no multitrack, no post.  Live switch, live shading, live mix, live title crawls, live fades, audio and video.  "Coming Home"--new Athol Fugard play at Berkeley Rep, recorded for the Lincoln Center collection.  Recorder stuff all handled by the truck engineer--but every time we started up I would have a momentary panic attack: "they're talking and I didn't roll anything!"....old habit I guess.

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815084274_thumb.jpg

I think you are referring to the smaller red cart (in the foreground), which is for ProTools playback, manned by Matt Andrews, a Nashville engineer that has adapted very well to film production playback work (also did "Walk The Line", and "Oh Brother Where Art Thou").

T Bone was the music supervisor in the pilot last month called "Tough Trade", but is not involved in this film ("Love Don't Let Me Down"). The music supervisor is Randy Poster, who has been great to work with.

This film has also been a nice mix of live music recording, live to track, and pure lip sync plus audience/ambience tracks.

13.7 Volts, 9 Amps.

Glen Trew

Last weekend: a jazz trio recorded all live, in a very nice music room at a small school in SF (The Lost Trio, Evander Records).  I got a nice sax sound by the lucky combo of a Beyer M260 and  Shure SM7.  I had intended to use one or the other, but they sounded great on this guy's horn together.

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815084699_thumb.jpg