Easily portable mats/carpets/alternatives?

Ilari Sivil

Lately, I've been working from a bag all alone. On the last few gigs I've done, I've needed something to kill noise from feet for jittery talent/interviewees. One time, I survived using the foam insert of my mic case's lid, but on the other time I didn't have my full mic case with me and I couldn't find anything on location to use. As much as I'd love to always have a couple of mats somewhere near location, it's only really possible in bigger narrative productions. Anyone have a more portable solution? I usually ride the local public transport to work, carrying all my gear.

"I've needed something to kill noise from feet for jittery talent/interviewees"

- A few throw rugs could be carried in just about any personal vehicle, public transportation is another story. If the talent is sitting in one spot, asking them to remove their shoes is not an unreasonable request explaining the noise issue. Maybe carry a few pairs of those socks with grip bottoms hospitals hand out to patients.

Many of us bring old-school black/white furni pads with us for this and many other purposes.  Stuff one in an HVAC vent, push-pin one over a door or window, hang some on stands or spread them on the floor to kill room reflections.  Maybe even lend one to the cameras dept as a knee-saver for the shooter doing a low angle handheld shot: they'll be your friend for about 30 seconds in return for this service!   Using the case foam was a good improv move.

1 blanket, croc clips, tape and some rubbery bits (padding door closures, heels etc). Remove some foam from case to make room for a lightly bagged blanket or carry in light backpack. Well worth it and a blanket is not only versatile but can help set the mood. Camera is to sound recorder as lighting is to blanket ( I carry grey and let them fret about fill). NB. You can't really use blankets for footsteps on a smooth floor without something to stop it slipping. The rubberised door entry mats or carpet tiles are far safer (but heavier and bulkier to carry around).

Thanks for all the replies!

I prefer mats as a solution since occasionally there will be a lot of people going through the interview setup in a day. If I don't have time to wire them, taking shoes off and putting them back on can also be more trouble socially than carrying / laying a mat. Also, people will occasionally wear shoes that affect their height.

I'm thinking throw rugs with some anti-slip material sewn on the bottom, could be easy enough to manage, especially if I come up with a way to easily/reliably attach a rolled up mat on my backpack. Heck, I might even just buy the type of mat we usually use on narratives, they come in many sizes.