We lost samples between the audio interface and the i/o cycle

Hi guys! I bought a new MADI interface for my Boom Recorder rig and am getting an error. I have only used Boom Recorder with analog and ADAT devices before, so maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I am receiving a "We lost samples between the audio interface and the i/o cycle" error after 2 or 8 minutes of recording. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? Here is the configuration I am using:

Boom Recorder 8.7.2, 65 Channels, 130 Files, 1 Folder

RME Ufx+ via USB 3

15" Macbook Pro 2016, Osx 10.12.6, 2.6 Ghz i7, 16G Ram

1TB G Drive USB 3

Thanks for your help in advance!

I am not a Boom Recorder user, but I do have a UFX+ and also use it with a Macbook Pro - the kind with the conventional full size ports :). I have found the UFX+ super stable over Thunderbolt 2 but less solid via USB3 so that’s the place I would look first. Can you test connecting via Thunderbolt instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do mainly large track-count recording (64 channels and over), mainly MADI through a variety of RME and DiGiGrid interfaces, and use Boom Recorder, Reaper and ProTools. Firstly as caleymw says, I've also heard that RME admit the UFX+ can only reach full track count reliably with the Thunderbolt connection, so try that first. I happily do 194 channels from a RME MADI FX card in a Thunderbolt chassis to a MacBook Pro a few years older than yours, recording to a single SSD for hours. I've been a Boom Recorder user since the early days, and have to say while it in theory can do 256 channels now, I haven't had reliable luck with it over about 40 channels and now call 32 channels my limit with it. I've tried working it through with Take Vos who wrote it, to no avail. Any more than 32 tracks, I use Reaper (as Pro Tools is limited to 32 chans of non-avid hardware). I've also tried Nuendo, Nuendo Live, Waves Tracks Live (which is just a skinned version of Ardour) and others, and Reaper is by far the most solid. 

I note you say "65 channels, 130 Files, 1 Folder" - why are you recording two files per track?

+1.  When we were using BR all the time we decided our limit for live recordings was 24 chan per unit.  More than that and we synced up another interface+laptop.  All of our use was on sync type shoots, with ext clock to the interfaces, we never tried the 100's of tracks thing in BR running on internal clock.  +1 also Reaper (lean and mean).

caleymw - I thought about trying connecting via thunderbolt, but the new Macbook I have only has USB-C ports, no thunderbolt. I am going to order a USB-C to thunderbolt adapter today. Judging by the responses this might the solution.

nickreich - The 130 files is because I was recording to 2 folders, one on a SAN one on a local backup drive. During my troubleshooting I removed the folder on the SAN but left the large file count so I wouldn't have to re patch them after I found a solution.

I have dabbled with Reaper a little. Can it embed external timecode? That is one of the reasons I am using Boom Recorder.

Thank you all for your responses.

Great, let us know how you fare with the adapter. I’d also test without the extra batch of file locations to rule that out.

Reaper can chase TC but I haven’t had to use that feature beyond a casual test. It’s free to try if you’d like to see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk