Question to our registered members

Jeff Wexler

We have 45 registered members as of today which I find quite gratifying since this forum has only been up for a day. I do have a question which maybe can be answered by someone who has had a lot more experience than I have, participating in online forums and such.

Why is it that so many people register with odd cryptic sounding names instead of just their own name? I know in the old CB days everyone had a "handle" ("what's up Big Rocker" and things like that) but i don't think that is the answer in the Internet age. I know there are some who definitly want the anonymity that the Internet can so easily provide, so maybe that is the reason? There may be some really good reasons that I am unaware of concerning security or identity theft or something. Just curious.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I use pd170user as a descriptive title to portray where I'm at in the

independent film world. I'm trying to afford 16mm. Student cinema-

tographer but long time professional photographer. Any suggestions

for microphone,mixer etc. would be greatly appreciated,of course wo-

uld want to use with PD-170. Presently using boom with Azden shot-

gun in combination with lavalier into camera's audio input,no mixer. I

will finish post with my real name as I always stand on my own two feet.

Greg Gross

It seems to be part of the internet forum culture to use handles--on many of the other audio forums (mostly music oriented)

I'm often the only person posting under their own name.  I think it's a little weird, and I also think that it lets people feel like they can say things  in a way that maybe they wouldn't if signing their real name.  On those other groups any suggestion that people sign in as themselves is usually shouted down immediately as being "not in the spirit of the internet" or even "fascist".  Much of the discourse at these forums I would describe as "nerd vitriol".  RAMPS and Lynn Fuston's "3DB" forum (and here too?) are the only audio forums I know where people are routinely taken to task for posting under pseudonyms, which is one of the things I like about them.

Philip Perkins

It seems to be part of the internet forum culture to use handles--on many of the other audio forums (mostly music oriented)

I'm often the only person posting under their own name.

Philip Perkins

Thank you Phillip for your post... I sort of had the feeling that this is what is going on. Call me "Old School" (actually, that is someone else "handle" on this forum) but I like knowing who it is I am conversing with. I guess over time we all learn who everyone is, even though they do not use their own names but rather nicknames.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

actually my name isn't Larry Long... It's Leonard Lawrence Long Jr.

But yea I normally use a handle sort of thing to register esp if it's music related.

Just here and on RAMPS I use my real name. I  consider this a professional forum although I don't always act so professional, ie couple a drinks in me late night post on a hard job... Sometimes I used to rant on RAMPS because I believed that my rants fell on sympathetic ears.

my 2 cents,

LL

Guest repete86

It's the same name I've been using since I first got the internet, so I'm using it on quite a few well traveled message boards.  In addition, it would be a pain for me to try to remember which boards I"m using my real name on and which I'm using my nickname on.  By using the same name on all of my accounts, it allows people to recognize me from other forums and it saves me the confusion that would come along with using two names.

I use a nick much like Larry and Philip, but I also think about how high the risk of getting a lot of spam or other unwanted stuff. On RAMPS, here and other "professional" forums and use my real name, even if I try to protect my mail from automatic harvesters. The good thing with people using their real names here is that it's more fun to read the credits at the end of the film, and see people that you "know" :-)

Oscar Lovnér

Sound Image

Good post.  I like the idea of using my real name here and on RAMPS as it makes me feel a little more accountable when I want to start a rant.  When I registered for this forum I created my login id with the same id I use for everything in the world (just easier to remember).  Its an extra step to go edit your display name in your profile, and  I didn't even think of it until I read this thread.

I'm very impressed with this forum as members seem to be more positive about forum matters versus some forums

that I've been on. I love intelligent ranting. I can see though that I'm going to have to get a good sound book/manual

so that I can figure out some of the technical terms you guys are using.

Greg Gross

Bummer!

Purely out of  habit I use my email prefix. I too have wondered about handles in communication and agree that the professional nature of this forum warrants real names. Until the internet I never interacted as much as this, or heard so many of my piers intelligent thoughts. Strength in numbers will keep us powerful.

Please change my login to Nick Allen if you can Jeff. Really it is Nicholas but I gave up on that too. Bummer.

Jeff, for me this is a carry over from many years of either managing or sysoping boards like this.  I don't use my full name except for direct business related work (as opposed to this forum, which is informational for me).  It's the same reason I have three different email addresses that I actually use (in addition to my spam catcher emails.)

So, I think that may be the same for many.  But, my nickname is close to my real name.

Phil (Talsky)

• 2 weeks later...

Audiofilesound is my company name. So I have always used it as an ID. And yes, I know it's really "audiophile", but in todays world of digital "file" based media, I felt it is now appropriate to change it up a bit. My real name is Michael Clark, and I didn't want to be confused with the "Michael Clark" some of you might be familiar with as a sound mixer. I have also found that there are ALOT of Mike Clarks in this world, so a nickname is about all I had! I will change it here, not so sure I can change it on RAMPS.

Michael Clark

Audiofilesound is my company name. So I have always used it as an ID. And yes, I know it's really "audiophile", but in todays world of digital "file" based media, I felt it is now appropriate to change it up a bit.Michael Clark

That's a good nickname I think and I like the idea of "audio - file" referencing audio files, never saw it that way until you pointed it out. I have pretty much gotten over my original post about people signing up without their real names, and then today we have a new member who is going by the name "NoOne". I have not restricted anyone from signing up here and there is no requirement for people to let me know who they really are, but in researching this NoOne I do have some idea who it might be (and in the word of Jerry Seinfeld, "who are the Dutch anyway")

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I also do Post work and since it's ALL file based it really works out nicely. I even played with signing my name as MichaelClark.afs which then makes me an "audio file" or "audiophile", however you look at it. :) It works on many levels! No pun intended! or maybe it was intended! It's just too easy!

MichaelClark.afs