CL-8 latency?

johngooch

" Please stop with these silly answers "

are you issuing that order in your capacity as moderator of jwsound.net??

I do not believe they are silly answers.  There is, after all, a lot of mis-information going around on the internet.

" The CL8 has zero or just under that " would qualify, as it does not actually provide the specific technical information that was sought, and is actually incorrect as well! Philip and Rich also did not provide the specific correct answer, either...

The best place to get accurate, reliable answers to technical questions about specific products is directly from the manufacturers, and to this end they have set up helpful, useful, informative and searchable web sites full of information (as well as contact information if even more specific responses are desired).  many have set up their own groups or forums for customers and or users, and just about any professional can participate.  and of course there is mail, email, and the telephone. Of course, sometimes the manufacturers do visit internet forums to answer questions, defend their products, and suffer the "slings and arrows" of the usual know-it-all's, but the truth is that they are easily contacted directly and glad to assist with personal, accurate technical support.

For example, and thank you for correcting that you were actually quoting SD when you replied to a question about the new firmware; see, that's where you got the answer!  and don't you get most of the stuff that you cut and paste from the manufacturers' web sites, or from them directly??? of course you do...

so you keep on doing what you do, and I'll continue to do what I do!

Senator Mike O'Michaels, CAS

" they are posting on these user groups to get first hand feedback from users. "

those are not the questions I am replying too...

John's original question was " Now that sound devices is in the control surface business, has anyone here have latency specs?  " I see a specific technical question for SD, which BTW remains unanswered! your first response was both vague and incorrect,  so where will you go to get the specific correct answer??

in another thread the question was: " Does anyone know what this (error message) means... ? " and no one even guessed what the message meant, and the OP obtained the solution by contacting SD, and the personal assistance paid off in determining that the OP was reading the screen incorrectly, which probably would have taken several rounds of messages to determine.

I would not have responded to a question like ' how does the CL-8's latency affect your work?'  as I did to the specific questions I did respond to...

I stand by my responses!

" You off handed comments ... are un-needed.  "

that is an opinion, and thank you for sharing!

BTW, standard agency commission is 15% of the gross for the gig!

Senator Mike O'Michaels, CAS

"are you issuing that order in your capacity as moderator of jwsound.net??"

Well, here is am...  I am the JW in jwsound.net, and I'm requesting that you BOTH knock it off. Too much squabbling and personal criticizing going on here. So what if somebody doesn't answer a question in just exactly the manner you would like to see. Just let the personal stuff go, please.

Thank you.

your host (and sometimes moderator),  Jeff Wexler

Ok, I didn't mean to open a can of worms here.  From my experience, not many manufacturers publish latency specs.  There are several Mixers here who participate in these NGs that are SD beta testers and have provided equipment reviews for various outlets.  I thought maybe someone asked this question before. I'd be surprised if i was the only one to ask.  Honestly, it was one the first things i thought of when SD introduced a control surface. 

I'll go to the SD user forum for the measured spec. I'll let you know.

As a happy owner of a CL-8/788t and having used it on the most difficult shoot I've been on. I could not detect any latency when turning the knob. Now, I did not sit there and wank the thing left and right really fast to see if there was a problem.  My Euphonix MC Mx and protools combo had some delay which you could "FEEL", but nothing I can detect with the CL-8/788t combo.  I also just use the "MIX" track as a mono reference and do post with the ISO tracks.. Also to clarify, the CL-8 is just a USB controller, not an Input device so if there is any delay, my bet is it would be in the 1-2 millisecond range at worst..

2cents deposited

Mark L

As a happy owner of a CL-8/788t and having used it on the most difficult shoot I've been on. I could not detect any latency when turning the knob. Now, I did not sit there and wank the thing left and right really fast to see if there was a problem.  My Euphonix MC Mx and protools combo had some delay which you could "FEEL", but nothing I can detect with the CL-8/788t combo.  I also just use the "MIX" track as a mono reference and do post with the ISO tracks.. Also to clarify, the CL-8 is just a USB controller, not an Input device so if there is any delay, my bet is it would be in the 1-2 millisecond range at worst..

2cents deposited

Mark L

"Lag" vs. "Latency"

I think we should be careful to refer to the phenomenon described in this thread as "fader lag" instead of "latency". Fader lag refers to the action of a fader being faster than the actual change in level it causes. This is considered necessary by most manufacturers to reduce the chance of noticeable "zippering" when quickly moving the faders.

"Latency" has traditionally referred to the phenomenon of an actual delay of the audio signal delay cause by the time needed for digital processing.

Glen Trew

from SD:

Fader lag time= 10 ms.  Pretty minimal in my opinion. 

Now we know. 

John Gooch

No we don't. While I'm sure "10ms" describes something having to do with the fader controller, it cannot describe what we hear as "fader lag".  Fader lag occurs when the knob moves faster than the level changes (the level change "lags"). If this time was actually 10ms, it would not be detectable because it is impossible to physically move the knob that fast. The more useful spec would be to describe the minimum time it takes for the fader circuit to change the level from full down to full up.

Glen Trew