newbie needs a sound cart, any tips?

Alan A

One of the coolest things about my coffey sound days was being able to visit sound mixers on set and to check out their carts. It really is amazing how creative people have become to solve interesting issues. There are really a lot of inventive and resourceful people out there. There are a few carts that I still remember well to this day.

-Steve Bowerman on NCIS. It was a custom cart he built. The thing was so clean. He somehow had all the cables and stuff hidden away so everything was really tidy. The complete opposite of how I've had things.

-Dave Diamond. He had a really cool patch system built in.

-Whit Norris. I got to see him on Clerks 2, and that was the first time I saw one of the Trew Audio carts in person in action. It was really cool and really well thought out.

-Mark Ulano on Zathura. He is literally his own country with the amount of equipment and carts. It's quite impressive what he can do, and his crew has their own impressive set ups as well. I remember one of his guys had a mobile pro tools rig set up for something (I don't know what. I saw it from across the stage), and it was really neat.

-Coleman Metts. He has a pimped out Chindha cart. They are spendy, but well worth it.

-Donovan Dear on CSI Miami. That was back in the Deva II days, and he had a bitchin' setup.

Those are just the ones I've seen in person. Many of you I know personally but have never visited you on set, so I've only seen pictures. I have to say, the one I'm most impressed with is Trew's motorcycle rig. As a fellow motorcyclist, I am quite envious of that rig.

I also remember seeing guys just starting out coming up with really inventive way of getting a great cart up and running for very little money with some creativity and neat use of power tools. I've seen carts made out of almost entirely of stuff from Target.

• 5 years later...