Twittering Soundies?

thebrengun

Excuse my ignorance, but I do have a question.

What is twitter good for? Isn't it the same as facebook's status? I honestly don't get it!

Confused!

~Thomas Popp

Popp Sound

thomas@poppsound.com

Yes, me either but then again when I am working on set, I try to focus on my job and not on telling others what I am doing. Part of me has a hard time believing that anyone would really care what I am doing, and the other part of me thinks that it is not anybody's business.  I feel like I already give away enough of my "free" time to things online and I am trying to hold on the free time that remains.  I know that this makes me sound like an old person but I am just trying to stay focused on the moment and not worry about all the background noise of online chatter.

Proudly not on Twitter or Facebook,

Chris Kellett

Chris and Alan have the exact same reaction I have to Twitter. To me, this is just another variation of instant messaging -- and yet another distraction to have to deal with. Blogs I understand, but seeing a constant stream of "here's what I'm doing right now" messages I can live without.

This must firmly put me in the "old fart" category, because a lot of the under-30 types I know Twitter all day long. (I'm reminded of TV personality Robert Colbert said on a talk show the other day: "Yes, I twatted just yesterday," which got on the air and brought the house down.)

--Marc W.

• 4 months later...

Marc, I'm 22.  Setting a new standard?

Chris and Alan have the exact same reaction I have to Twitter. To me, this is just another variation of instant messaging -- and yet another distraction to have to deal with. Blogs I understand, but seeing a constant stream of "here's what I'm doing right now" messages I can live without.

This must firmly put me in the "old fart" category, because a lot of the under-30 types I know Twitter all day long. (I'm reminded of TV personality Robert Colbert said on a talk show the other day: "Yes, I twatted just yesterday," which got on the air and brought the house down.)

--Marc W.

While I'm on Twitter, I have yet to "tweet" anything.  But, I am on Facebook and it has been a great way to connect and reconnect with people.  I just came back from my 30 year high school reunion (yes, I fall in the "old fart" category) and I probably would not have gone had I not reconnected with more than 50 of my old classmates.  And it was an amazing time (Shanghi Reds in the Marina, and then a picnic the next day at Uni). 

Phil

• 2 months later...
Guest Ken Mantlo

It would be very easy to say the exact same thing about that comment.

I don't get the above statement either.

Honestly, what is the draw of twitter unless you're a war correspondent or gossip queen in the bowels of congress?

I don't get the above statement either.

Honestly, what is the draw of twitter unless you're a war correspondent or gossip queen in the bowels of congress?

I would think the success of Twitter speaks for itself. If you're not interested, feel free to not play along.

Why piss on other people's happiness?

someone who wants to know what I'm doing

as it is there is very little peace of mind. too much clutter anyways. for people who want to know what i am up to - here it is - "i am doing too much for you to comprehend."

the ridiculousness of the world in the digital era initiated, nurtured and fed by thoughtless people... the people who thought of putting Beethoven on an elevator stop button or on a reverse gear warning horn in a car...

Guest Ken Mantlo

I would think the success of Twitter speaks for itself. If you're not interested, feel free to not play along.

Why piss on other people's happiness?

No pissing here, I'm just saying that I don't understand the draw.

I use Facebook and Twitter exactly the way I use this forum or e-mail; as a method of communication with friends, family, acquaintances, students, business associates, and potential clients. Obviously some methods work better for different types of people. This forum is generally for business associates, but I do have some friends and students here.

I'm not a huge fan of Twitter, in fact I think it is a fad that won't stick around, but since it is currently a primary method of communication for students (and I'm a teacher) it works to my advantage to be active on it. I do not generally tweet everything I am doing, I use it primarily for sharing links to industry-related information that interest me. I also protect my tweets, you can't see them unless I allow you to (which is not typical). The 140-character limit is so limiting it makes it difficult to post much more that is meaningful.

This is different from Facebook in that I post a lot more personal info there. If you're not interested in that, you can always hide my info or de-friend me. I did have someone complain that I posted too frequently, and that led to a long discussion about what is worth being posted, with the general consensus that there were different audiences for different types of posts, but that all of them were appreciated by somebody. Most people liked the industry related stuff I post, some people like the baseball stuff I post.

At the MPSE event last night I met several people with whom I have had extensive Facebook conversations but very little (or no) in-person interaction. It was interesting how much it has helped me keep in touch, especially now that I work from outside of town. It has made a huge difference. I do think Facebook is here to stay, and with good reason.