AES Inputs on Mixer/Recorder

KGraham045

I use Zaxcom gear almost exclusively. AES inputs are extremely important to me. More so than analog inputs. I’m wandering how many other mixers feel the same way?

It wander how much smaller/lighter Zaxcom could make a Recorder without Preamps and with only AES inputs. 

I use a CL and barely ever even use my Analog outputs (except for HP monitoring of course). I use my RX200s for connectivity to cameras with Analog Inputs...

Just curious if they could make a Streamlined product that could take full advantage of lightweight digital, and if anyone else thinks this is a good idea. 

3 hours ago, VAS said:

That sounds a risky business from manufacturer POV.

+1

digital inputs: do not always work (for whatever reason: clock, format, cable, impedance, rate ... )

analogue inputs: always work

Very important when you are out in the field. Analogue is the emergency exit.

54 minutes ago, Patrick Tresch said:

It looks like doing a good AES input can be tricky. The Sonosax R4+ has a module for AES INPUT only wich is smaller and lighter, the RC8+. 

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-rc8/

Why do you think it’s tricky? 

The RC8+ is a fader module not an AES input box. Yes, it does have AES inputs, but they just pass the signal on to the recorder. 

18 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

It wander how much smaller/lighter Zaxcom could make a Recorder without Preamps and with only AES inputs. 

Sonosax at least could make it much smaller. And it still has two analog inputs. 

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/minir82/

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

Why do you think it’s tricky? 

The RC8+ is a fader module not an AES input box. Yes, it does have AES inputs, but they just pass the signal on to the recorder. 

Sonosax at least could make it much smaller. And it still has two analog inputs. 

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/minir82/

An updated mini r82 would be quite nice, maybe more Mix Pre 3 form factor but with the 8 AES on a D sub. Some analogues I/P on Hirose.

Kyle,  I have to agree this might not be a great idea.  Yes I am digital input into my Nomad, but at least I know if everything else goes to pot, that row of beautiful big holes are in the back of my mixer. And I like that.  The way technology goes maybe 5 years from now,  the mixers won't have XLR inputs, and younger mixers  will see our XLR inputs and say "Look at you, rocking it old school". 

Sincerely,  Martin

8 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Kyle,  I have to agree this might not be a great idea.  Yes I am digital input into my Nomad, but at least I know if everything else goes to pot, that row of beautiful big holes are in the back of my mixer. And I like that.  The way technology goes maybe 5 years from now,  the mixers won't have XLR inputs, and younger mixers  will see our XLR inputs and say "Look at you, rocking it old school". 

Sincerely,  Martin

While I agree with what your saying, I always have a backup Mixer/Recorder with me. So I’d prefer not to have extra weight and expense for something I don’t use.

15 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

While I agree with what your saying, I always have a backup Mixer/Recorder with me. So I’d prefer not to have extra weight and expense for something I don’t use.

Kyle, I too have a spare Nomad,  which most of the time just sits there waiting for something to go wrong,  but hasn't happened yet.  The problem with that is the time that it would take me to change out the Nomads and reroute everything for my current situation, is much longer than it would take me to grab 3 or 4 XLR cables and plug them into the back of the Nomad.  Just that simple act and re routing the XLR's  would take a few minutes, but I think that would be a lot less time than changing out Nomads.  One of these times when I'm bored in my hotel room maybe I will have a race to see which one takes longer.  It might not be as long a difference as I'm thinking it is.

Sincerely, Martin