PD606 Update

Alan

The PD606 USB function will be activated in the the firmware version 1.30. The firmware will be release for all once confirmed.

The new functions are :-

1) File copy to USB thumb drive. Autocopy to USB thumb drive. External HD and card reader are not recommended by Fostex at this present moment. Audio files playback from USB thumb drive.

2) User can create new folder in selected drive partition instead of the usual BWFF folder. This function does not apply to USB thumb drive.

3) Software update can now be done with USB thumb drive.

Alan Chong

From my experience, a thumbdrive that has been pre-loaded with any backup software chokes when connected to PD-606.  I had something called U3 launchpad on my thumbdrive and PD-606 would not recognize the USB thumbdrive until i removed it.  Sandisk had a very simple utility that did that very well. 

So far 2gb and 4gb drives have worked well in tests.  two different brands. 

Hi,

I'd tested I-flash 8 gig today, format the USB thumb drive to FAT32 with my XP laptop and it works well with both file copy and autocopy. Nothing buggy discover yet. I will try my luck with CF card reader soon.

Alan

Hi,

I'd tested I-flash 8 gig today, format the USB thumb drive to FAT32 with my XP laptop and it works well with both file copy and autocopy. Nothing buggy discover yet. I will try my luck with CF card reader soon.

Alan

If that works does that mean that a PD606 could be used in post Telecine suite to sync up dailies off a CF card or Fat32 USB Hard dirive?

---Courtney

If that works does that mean that a PD606 could be used in post Telecine suite to sync up dailies off a CF card or Fat32 USB Hard dirive?

If the PD606 has an RS-422 control output connector, then it should be possible to connect it to any compatible edit controller in post, like the Time-Logic Controllers we normally use for dailies. The machine would also need a video reference input and timecode output connectors as well, but I assume it has that.

If anybody has one and wants to try it, contact me off the group and I'll work out a time and place for the test.

I expect the speed of the flash drive matters.  Most flash drives are very slow, and I expect if you were trying to record 6+2, that a regular flash drive would not be fast enough.  I use 133x cards for Boom Recorder, but slower cards have proved to be problematic.

Robert

---Courtney

USB Hard Drives are a no no due to the power consumption. The 606 will not bus power the 2.5" HD properly and also the bridge chip compatibility, but I guess we could use external power and try our luck in finding the right casing. CF card readers are also facing the same problem but have a lower chance of bus powering issue.

Alan

I expect the speed of the flash drive matters.  Most flash drives are very slow, and I expect if you were trying to record 6+2, that a regular flash drive would not be fast enough.  I use 133x cards for Boom Recorder, but slower cards have proved to be problematic.

Robert

Recording thru USB drives are currently not available on the 606, just file copy, autocopy and playback.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I'd done my last 2 weeks of shoot mirroring off to 2 x 8G flash drive. So far so good, we are shooting with RED and at the end of the day the flash drive was given to the data wrangler which he would promptly returned me back on the next working day. Metadata changes on the PD606 internal drive were also updated to the flashdrive smoothly. Archiving to DVD-R was done during the start of a new working day while the camera and lighting guys are setting up.

There are some minor changes to the media management of the new PD606. The users are now able to create folder name on the internal drive partitions, during mirroring mode, the folder will also be created on the flash drive. The flash drive was a FAT32 drive.

Fostex last words were, more USB functions will be available in the April release firmware.

I did try with 1 flash card reader and an USB External HD, the 606 fails to read it.

Alan Chong