Sound Devices acquires Audio, wow!

ramallo

15 hours ago, RPSharman said:

Sound Devices seem to have gone away from expensive specialty products, with little profit margin, for a small market to a more profit-driven model of high end pro-sumer products.

While I am thrilled they have found a way to become more successful as a company, I don't really expect them to continue to service the high-end production sound recording market. It's very disappointing for me.

Not sure why the acquisition of Audio Ltd equates to SD moving toward high-end prosumer products? Acquiring, arguably the 'best in class', digital radio mic costing a very professional £2500 per channel suggests something different to me. SD and Cantar seem to have the UK 'scripted' market, and I'm not sure there enough of anything else to fill the gap if SD did go all prosumery. 

4 hours ago, daniel said:

Not sure why the acquisition of Audio Ltd equates to SD moving toward high-end prosumer products? Acquiring, arguably the 'best in class', digital radio mic costing a very professional £2500 per channel suggests something different to me. SD and Cantar seem to have the UK 'scripted' market, and I'm not sure there enough of anything else to fill the gap if SD did go all prosumery. 

Daniel,  It has been my experience, when working with British crews,  they know Zaxcom backwards and forwards, which was a surprise to me. And I mean as  compared to American crews. Apparently Zaxcom is quite popular in the UK.

Sincerely,  Martin

1 hour ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Daniel,  It has been my experience, when working with British crews,  they know Zaxcom backwards and forwards, which was a surprise to me. And I mean as  compared to American crews. Apparently Zaxcom is quite popular in the UK.

Sincerely,  Martin

I'm sure you're right. Rental houses in UK don't seem to carry many zaxcom recorders, but that's not the entire market. 

Zaxcom or not (in the Uk). I think companies like SD, Sennheiser, Sony etc try to develop prosumer lines from their investments in their R&D when they can (why wouldn't they if they can finance it?). Sennheiser didn't stop making good condenser microphones when they started making cheap camera mics. I'm guessing being able to secure the investment to produce higher volume prosumer stuff probably helps them invest more in the professional side as well, especially in the era of disruptive technologies. There are similar things going on with sound kit that have been going on with camera kit for while. Pretty smart of SD to get a hold of those markets shooting on 5d/A7s/GH5 etc. Maybe the MixPre 3/6/10 success helped SD acquire Audio Ltd. This in turn might allow them to push on with expanding the A10 product range (mini TX etc). 

14 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

If people believe the speculation that the banks are about to go out of business and close,  That's speculation historically has led to people running on the banks, and subsequently they did fail. 

Banks here has been failed before the "speculation" has been driven the people to wait in ATM's.

Wrong example, but I understand what you mean.

Maybe SD thought it was just a good investment... A way to expand the footprint a good product in the USA.

There is obviously enough interest and ownership domestically for them to justify a US based service center... Which is a good thing for those users.

I don't know Audio Ltd service reputation but i know SD and have always been taken care of.. If they apply that service model here it will be good.

We always say competition is a healthy thing for our industry. These kinds of moves might light an innovative fire with some of the other manufacturers...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mradlauer said:

Maybe SD thought it was just a good investment... A way to expand the footprint a good product in the USA.

There is obviously enough interest and ownership domestically for them to justify a US based service center... Which is a good thing for those users.

I don't know Audio Ltd service reputation but i know SD and have always been taken care of.. If they apply that service model here it will be good.

We always say competition is a healthy thing for our industry. These kinds of moves might light an innovative fire with some of the other manufacturers...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

+1

• 1 month later...