Sound Devices Mix Pre 6 With Zax wireless

KGraham045

I purchased a Sound Devices Mix Pre 6. I am primarily and before the Mix Pre 6 have been exclusively a Zaxcom user. 

With the small foot print of the Mix Pre 6. Im thinking about putting together a very small minimal portable rig for small interview setups. I just want something I can carry in a backpack very easily.

I was originally wanting to go without a BDS to avoid the weight and cables. And just have a bunch of rechargeable Lithium AAs. 

I was originally planning on having 2 or 3 Zaxcom RX200s as Receivers for their Internal battery power ability. But in order to have Zaxnet/Proper TC I need an IFB or Camera Link system. So overall it makes sence to have a BDS. So I’m leaning that way.

Does anyone feed a Mix Pre 6 with Timecode using a Zaxcom IFB200/CL or even QRX with IFB? And does the Mix Pre 6 unbalanced output work fine feeding a Zaxcom IFB200/CL or even QRX with IFB?

This is my “Tiny Rig” set up.

Mix Pre 6

QRX200

IFB200

Anker Batt w/DC and USB Outputs

Four pieces of hardware make up the entirety of the kit. The IFB200 is what ties the whole thing together.

The IFB200 is the TC master, feeding into the Aux-In on the MP6. It is also my L/R Mix backup recorder, and my transmitter to the ERX’s in use as IFB’s and Camera Hop. It also controls my Zaxcom ZMT transmitters (frequency, gain, and roll record).

The output on the MP6 is just barely sufficient to feed the IFB200.  I wish there was more gain there, but I work with what it does.

The particular Anker battery I’m using is an older 20,000mah battery. It has USB-A out which powers the USB-C on the MP6. The DC-out uses the same plug as BDS, so I have a BDS Y-cable made to power the QRX200 and IFB200.

Add in some low profile cables, and it makes for one powerful, versatile, really small rig. 

C3721B66-6075-40D0-A242-B52F0D518C6C.jpeg

Is the input audio on the IFB200 different than the CL? I can barely get the MP series to register usable audio on the CL. When I send tone from my MP3, I barely get a blip on the CL screen... am I missing something as far as bumping up the level?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New firmware (v.2.20) released today that has among other features:

• Output gain range increased by 20dB.

Hopefully that will help with the level issue. I’m picking up my new IFB200 today or tomorrow from Gotham so this firmware comes at a great time!

-Mike

On 5/24/2018 at 12:36 PM, Mobilemike said:

New firmware (v.2.20) released today that has among other features:

• Output gain range increased by 20dB.

Hopefully that will help with the level issue. I’m picking up my new IFB200 today or tomorrow from Gotham so this firmware comes at a great time!

-Mike

How has 2.20 been treating you?

Id like to update in the near future for the output gain, but 1.53 has been rock solid and I dont want to mess with any bugs that may arise.

I used the new firmware last week. Seem to be pretty solid. Are used 10 of the 20 added DB on the output.

The only thing that was kind of strange I could not get the file transfer Feature to work.  I had to manually pull the card to dump media. But that’s not a huge deal 

4 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

I used the new firmware last week. Seem to be pretty solid. Are used 10 of the 20 added DB on the output.

The only thing that was kind of strange I could not get the file transfer Feature to work.  I had to manually pull the card to dump media. But that’s not a huge deal 

Oh damn, thats good to know! I use the hirose sled for my mp6 and primarily use the file transfer to dump files at wrap so I dont have to take the card out at all... its been real convenient.