Pad for SD 633 X3/X4 out to Lectro xmitter

stacysound

Outputing from my SD 633 X3/X4 outputs to a Lectrosonics UM400 for IFB. Straight cable is a little too hot. Needs a pad of say -20 db. Handy with a soldering iron. What value are you guys using for resistors R1 and R2?. Diagram below. Don't need a lesson in Ohms law, just too lazy to create a spreadsheet on my own for something that I'm sure a dozen of you guys have done.

TIA

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 9.33.13 AM.png

Or is there enough gain if I wire the TA5 into the lectro line level?

I should have known to look on the Lectro site first. Found this. Since I can't delete this entire post, I'll leave it hear so it may help others.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 9.45.48 AM.png

6 minutes ago, stacysound said:

Or is there enough gain if I wire the TA5 into the lectro line level?

Hi Stacy,

I recommend wiring into the line level on the transmitter. There is plenty of gain range to handle a variety of levels. It will be simpler and more dependable than cramming resistors into a T5F. See the manual for your model on the Lectro website to get the wiring, if you don't have it at hand.

For non-servo inputs (UM400) it's audio to pin 5 and pin 1 and pin 4 tied to ground (shield)

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

48 minutes ago, mradlauer said:

Don't forget you can adjust the output level of X3/4 on the 633 as well.

And as long as things are being adjusted, strong levels to the transmitter are always best for reducing ground loops and any induced noise. In all of the current Lectro transmitters, there is no "front end" to overload. Gain is wrapped around the front end in a feedback loop so there is no advantage to "centering" the gain control. You probably would like to leave a little adjustment room for quick additional attenuation but really, the transmitter input and compressor don't give rat's patootie if the transmitter gain is close to minimum..

With lavaliere mics and internal batteries, there are no common ground problems because the only ground is the shield tied to the transmitter. With line level inputs, there are grounds galore; the mixer output ground, the battery power cable to the mixer and the battery power cable to the transmitter battery eliminator. With gains adjusted as recommended, these problems can be greatly reduced. If I'm beating a well pounded drum, some readers may not have run into this.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher