Sound Devices recorders - which way to go?

joaohpc

5 hours ago, Virag Zsolt said:

Hey Constantin,
how did you solve the monitoring when cascading two 788 devices? I've heard of sending an output from the second recorder into the 8th input of the first. But that way you can't solo the individual tracks on the 2nd recorder.

It‘s what I did as I described earlier in this thread. To be honest, when I really thought I needed to solo something mid-take I would re-plug my headphones. Between takes I could do it with the faders. 

On another project with a similar setup, I actually routed the headphone output from 2 into recorder 1 in addition to the regular mix output. I didn’t need all the tracks on that one. I only routed the headphone mix into the X1/X2R (which is what I listened to), but didn’t record its iso. With the mix feed I routed that into L/R and an iso. Now I could solo every track with one or two button pushes. 

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

It‘s what I did as I described earlier in this thread. To be honest, when I really thought I needed to solo something mid-take I would re-plug my headphones. Between takes I could do it with the faders. 

On another project with a similar setup, I actually routed the headphone output from 2 into recorder 1 in addition to the regular mix output. I didn’t need all the tracks on that one. I only routed the headphone mix into the X1/X2R (which is what I listened to), but didn’t record its iso. With the mix feed I routed that into L/R and an iso. Now I could solo every track with one or two button pushes. 

Thanks Constantin, that really helps a lot!

On 3/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, Constantin said:

Transmitter limiter and recorder limiter are two separate things and you won’t improve one by changing the other. 

Any recordee can freeze at any time, but with SD it seems particularly important to use only authorized media.

For me personally I‘ll stick with my 788 setup. I have one on my cart, another in a bag and if I need more tracks or inputs I can cascade two recorders easily with just one cable. Then it turns into a 16 input recorder. I did a job like that last year and I used a CL-9 for one recorder and a CL-8 for the other. I remoted the CL-8 so it could sit almost on the CL-9. I also have a keyboard on my cart for metadata, so to be honest I couldn’t care less about the CL-Wifi. I never missed it, and it never worked well, either. 

Think about this: you can buy three used 788, plus two CL-8 and a CL-9 for 24 great sounding analog and/or digital inputs and still come out cheaper than a Cantar X3. You can easily merge the files from all recorders into one file, if needed, so post won’t even know the difference. 

Maybe SD comes out with a larger recorder again, but at the moment it doesn’t look good

How do you turn  3 poly files with 8 tracks each and it's metadata, into 1 poly file 

43 minutes ago, AlbertoGarciaAltez said:

How do you turn  3 poly files with 8 tracks each and it's metadata, into 1 poly file 

By using this brilliant merge software:

https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/bwfmerge/

This even allows you to not include selected channels from a poly wav, so you could leave out the sub mix from the slave recorders.