When Production doesn’t rent your kit

KGraham045

On 3/20/2018 at 4:17 AM, Jim Feeley said:

And that you may require on-the-clock time to reconfigure and reset the kit so it works as needed and expected.

This. I've sometimes found the call times for sound given out to be a little unusual in my view (&thus  I've chosen to show up earlier myself, just to give myself more time spare if needed).

On 3/21/2018 at 2:26 AM, JWBaudio said:

That said, and I don't know how common this is, but I did go so far as to add a clause into my contract for indies, that essentially says if production is providing equipment then I get a build day with the kit, just like camera gets, and I have to sign off on it being up to the job I was hired to do. Then I'll let the UPM know if something is missing or there's an issue and go from there. Even if you look over a gear list ahead of time and it looks like everything you need, there could be operational issues that you could only tell by testing and setting things up, and I don't want to deal with those issues on day 1, nor would production I imagine. 

Unrealistic though to ask for a build day on a small shoot (although camera department still often enough get gear days even for short films), but yes, if I was doing a whole feature film with someone else's gear I'd absolutely 100% want a build up day beforehand. 

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Unrealistic though to ask for a build day on a small shoot (although camera department still often enough get gear days even for short films), but yes, if I was doing a whole feature film with someone else's gear I'd absolutely 100% want a build up day beforehand. 

Totally agree, it’s less about the request itself and more about convincing productions to just use my gear rather than try and provide their own.  And it’s worked so far on a few projects. 

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, DonovanBomb said:

A pair of headphones is like a pair of underwear... they're personal items meant to cover yer holes.  So if you show up on set and start asking around to borrow a pair, people are going to make assumptions about your professionalism.

I carry headphones for my boom ops...

I don't have underwear for them!