SKB Cart

Brent Lestage

Thanks, Scott! I'm another convert to this design (see pic of top half SKB). My brother-in-law is a professional welder and he is going to fabricate a dolly base/lip (with a space for a pelican-battery and cart power) and some kind of fastener/connection system to mount the cases to the uprights -- that's why I'm asking.

My wireless receivers live on a custom built C-stand "tree" that can live close to set and is fed via an 8-CH (6-returns/2-sends) breakaway snake with QR's at both ends, so no hi-gain antennas needed, and less weight in the SKB case.

Meantime, I will check out the pics on your site.

Best,

Brent

Hi Brent.  I'm just looking at this thread for the first time now.  I'm assuming there were some responses from Scott Farr that have since been deleted, so I've only seen what remains.  Initial picture is similar to my since modified setup, except with a Fusion instead of Cantar.  Whose setup is that first picture?  Not yours, I think.  Anyway, in response to your first question, I really regretted buying the FilmTools cart and got rid of it (actually cannibalized it for parts to modify a magliner).  The bottom plate is very heavy, the weight distribution is not good, and it does not collapse at all.  Still use SKB carts, tho'.  Your setup is very neat and clean and orderly.  I like it.

Thanks,

PG

I really regretted buying the FilmTools cart and got rid of it (actually cannibalized it for parts to modify a magliner).  The bottom plate is very heavy, the weight distribution is not good, and it does not collapse at all.

Hey, Paul,

I'm thinking about the FT upright. Can you elaborate on the weight distribution issue?

Best regards,

Jim

Paul,

Yes, hmm.... apparently all Scott's posts were removed, which is too bad because he had made some interesting comments -- one of which was whose cart the first picture in this thread really belonged to (Sorry Alan, the Cantar is not mine).

Anyway, that's interesting about the FilmTools vertical cart base being very heavy and not collapsible. I had asked FilmTools if the upright section that you mount the handles onto was removable and they assured me that it was. It will be interesting to see what is realistically modifiable and what is not. One of the reasons I decided to go this route was to be able to transport in a small SUV without a gazillion cases or a complete cart build-out.

I almost purchased this crazy garden hose caddy thing from Home Depot (see photo below) to modify/weld as a base for the 12U SKB. On paper, it's hard to beat for $79 with four 10" pneumatics. We'll see... If the FilmTools vertical cart proves to be unruly, then I will return it and consider another option such as this.

The one thing I will definitely have welded to the FT nose/base is an aluminum flange to fit into the SKB case recess for additional security. The flange will also have a slot cut out for a tie-down strap to secure the top SKB case together with the bottom.

Cheers,

B

it's great to read about all the ideas on this thread, and others concerning  carts.

I would like to know what is the simplest way of securing the equipment to shelves, be it in a SKB cart or open vertical. My cart is completely colapasable, and I use a modular system for the equipment. I just have difficultly securing the equipment in the cases for safe transit. Unlike studio gear, my SD and monitor and other bits don't not come with 1u/2u rack mounds, and I would hate to put valcrow on the gear. Any suggestions out there ?

Greg

well I was to suggest to use Velcro but since you hate it ... I have velcroed everything on my cart. From the Cooper 208, SD744, monitor - everything. Velcro is fast to install, fast to secure / unsecure, cheap, good for heavy stuff and all the little bits and pieces. If your cart got SKB velcro-sliders it makes more than sense to velcro your gear.

I went to Kenya for shooting a couple years ago and had secured my (rented) gear with screws into wooden sliders. That was an aweful idea. When we drove the "highways" through out Kenya I often had to fix my gear afterwards again as everything had become loose.

Since I use Velcro I have no trouple at all. And rigging my gear for major travelling (airplane) is very easy as it all gets out of my cart in minutes.

Matthias

Hey, Paul,

I'm thinking about the FT upright. Can you elaborate on the weight distribution issue?

Best regards,

Jim

Sorry about that, Jim.  I have not checked this thread again until now.  I would really recommend against the FT cart unless you have seen it live and decide you like it.  The bottom plate weighs a ton and is not long enough for a rack-cart based system to be stable.  The wheelbase is too short.  The quality is fine and the price is fair, but if you want something to get in and out of any vehicle but a stakebed truck I think you will find it very unwieldy.  I went to Backstage in Burbank and figured out what I wanted and what I could use from the FT cart combined with parts I bought from them.  Only the bottom plate and the handle went to waste.  The rest is part of my current cart, which I am very happy with.

PG

Sorry about that, Jim.  I have not checked this thread again until now.  I would really recommend against the FT cart unless you have seen it live and decide you like it.  The bottom plate weighs a ton and is not long enough for a rack-cart based system to be stable.  The wheelbase is too short.  The quality is fine and the price is fair, but if you want something to get in and out of any vehicle but a stakebed truck I think you will find it very unwieldy.  I went to Backstage in Burbank and figured out what I wanted and what I could use from the FT cart combined with parts I bought from them.  Only the bottom plate and the handle went to waste.  The rest is part of my current cart, which I am very happy with.

PG

No worries, Paul.

I've actually reconsidered my options, and will do something a little different.

Thanks,

Jim

No worries, Paul.

I've actually reconsidered my options, and will do something a little different.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim:  Backstage Equipment did a modification on a Magliner cart I own(lowered the nose) so as to make it easier to load in my car(Honda Element).  No matter what type of cart one purchases, it will probably be modified based on your needs(and imagination).

George Flores

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up going with the standard fare FilmTools Vertical Cart...

My Brother-in-Law and I came up with a simple design to lock the SKB cases to the Magliner upright vertical frame. Utilizing (2) extra sets of FilmTools tubes/bolts, we welded on an L-shaped aluminum bracket to grab one of the SKB case carry handles. When tightened, these 'case locks' secure the SKB cases securely to the frame.

Also added was a spot welded aluminum 'toe plate' to the nose to secure the opposing side of the SKB bottom case in place. A simple tie-down strap run between the two case handles' opposing sides, while not necessary, adds further security.

My B-i-L also fabricated (bent) a sheet of aluminum diamond plate and spot-welded it onto the frame and axle creating a convenient battery holder for my pelican back-up battery.

All-in-all I really like the setup, but I do understand now what Paul meant by it being a bit unstable. I believe this is due to it having a narrow wheelbase and all the weight being vertical (high) rather than spread out horizontally (low). However, the fact that the cases are now securely locked to the frame, I feel better about hopping curbs and moving over uneven terrain. The great news is that the cart breaks down and sets up very quickly, the equipment is protected somewhat from the elements, and I can fit it all in a smaller vehicle. Keep in mind that this rig was designed for day hits -- commercials, 2nd units and the occasional low-budget indie!

Pictures below...

Brilliant!!

A really nice cart.  Good job.  My favorite thing about your design (like mine) is that with big flat surfaces it is so easy to strap into any vehicle, including the sometimes troublesome stake-bed.  The handles and rear wheels also line up so that can be the wall side, if desired, keeping the cables free for being hooked by the camera carts as they load/unload their stuff.

Robert

Thanks for the compliments... *Rob Stalder* I still miss "Matilda" though... *Ken Mantlo* See my earlier posts on Page 1 of this thread. I have all my radios living close to set on a wireless "tree" attached to a C-stand, follow cart, or whatever. A multichannel snake (of various lengths... 100', 200') runs between wireless and cart. *Robert* Your cart is sweeet... Dig those massive rear wheels!

Cheers,

Brent