Sign in to follow this  
MattiaCellotto

Zaxcom Fusion and 192KHz Recording

Hey folks, I am currently looking into a 6 or 8 channels recorder that does 192KHz. I currently own a Maxx and have found it sublime, I have tried upgrading to a Mixpre 10T but preamps have big issues on the ultrasonic spectrum, I tried the 788T but it can only record 4 channels at 192KHz so I am now looking into a used Fusion as I'd rather not settle for the F8's preamps which I know to be noisy ultrasonically speaking (a friend provided some nice comparisons).

I am wondering if anyone has any experience recording at 192KHz on a Fusion and generally speaking, what your impression was of the preamps compared to a Maxx or a 788T or a 702. Any suggestions for other solutions are appreciated, my budget is about 4K and I'd like to end up with a single recorder (not two recorders, not 1 record and separate pres). Thanks!

you could go for a SoundDevices 688 which does 6 channels of 192kHz if that is enough for you. but it is a bit over your budget. I do not know if you can find a used one at 4k.

Why wouldn't multiple c-linked 7-series Recorders be an option?

What are applications for 6-8 channels ultrasonic recordings?

The used market page at Sonosax offers some SX62R that might meets your specs. No clue about their ultrasonic preamp performance.

https://www.sonosax.ch/second-hand-market/

It is a bit indifferent in its description if the SX62R dumps 8x 24/192 data onto its mass storage. Briefly lying over the manual I could not find any mention it does not.

:D I understand the skepticism, no I am not recording bats, I just record tons of things super-close and pretty much anything if you get close enough has ultrasonic content. I have a set of 2x mk8040, 1 x mkh8050 and 1 x Sanken CO-100K so I want to future proof my recorder in case I expand further (all these mics can get energy up to 60/70KHz and the Sanken over 100KHz).
If you that's kind of silly, here is an article I wrote on an electricity library recorded with this rig, the last two sounds in the page are 1/4 speed and still sound decently crisp: https://www.asoundeffect.com/polarity-sound-effects-library/

Thanks for the suggestions, all valid! :) 

On 3/26/2018 at 1:35 PM, MattiaCellotto said:

Hey folks, I am currently looking into a 6 or 8 channels recorder that does 192KHz. I currently own a Maxx and have found it sublime, I have tried upgrading to a Mixpre 10T but preamps have big issues on the ultrasonic spectrum, I tried the 788T but it can only record 4 channels at 192KHz so I am now looking into a used Fusion as I'd rather not settle for the F8's preamps which I know to be noisy ultrasonically speaking (a friend provided some nice comparisons).

I am wondering if anyone has any experience recording at 192KHz on a Fusion and generally speaking, what your impression was of the preamps compared to a Maxx or a 788T or a 702. Any suggestions for other solutions are appreciated, my budget is about 4K and I'd like to end up with a single recorder (not two recorders, not 1 record and separate pres). Thanks!

What issues did you encounter with Mixpre 10 T in the ultrasonic range? I'm really interested, because I wanted to buy it as a second recorder specially for an FX recording rig.