Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Karri said:

Still no more opinions/comments on this mic? Can't seem to find anything new on Google  or Youtube either.

The basic issue is that the mic is not fully available yet as delivery is very slow from Sanken to the distributors to the dealers. I own Production Sound Solutions in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and the next shipment to the US dealers might be this month (August) but no confirmation. The first few that I had in early June and sold to my customers have resulted in outstanding reviews. I have 12 units presold now on backorder that basically sold themselves by listening to them perform. Best $895 you'll ever spend on a mic.

@Eric Toline do you care to expand a little on those reviews?!!

Where do you people put this in the Sanken line up? 

With what other Sanken microphone you could "pair it" (as in, own) to have a very effective one - two punch for various circumstances? 

My current mics are Audix for int. and 416 for ext. but I would like to upgrade a bit, and maybe check some more modern solutions, and Sanken is very high on my list.

In my opinion you could replace both of the mics you're using now with the CS-M1 and get better overall results. The advantage is that one mic can do the job of two and you won't have to switch mics for interior or exterior. The CS-M1 is not a shotgun, it's a super cardioid much like the Sennheiser MKH 50 but with a longer working distance.

7 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Now I’m even more curious. I like using my MKH 50 indoors and out, but wanted at least a little more distance.

Yeah, @Eric Toline just disturbed our sleep until we all get one and try it!

MKH 50 costs 1600euros here, and that caused me to pause, until I consider all my options. To be honest I am using mostly Sennheiser for 2 decades now, but I am open to new ideas!

So, an CS-M1 and an CS-3e covers most bases, do you believe? Or an CS-M1 and 2?

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Yeah, @Eric Toline just disturbed our sleep until we all get one and try it!

MKH 50 costs 1600euros here, and that caused me to pause, until I consider all my options. To be honest I am using mostly Sennheiser for 2 decades now, but I am open to new ideas!

So, an CS-M1 and an CS-3e covers most bases, do you believe? Or an CS-M1 and 2?

I'm not that familiar with the 2 so I really can't comment. I do know of one  mixer who hand been using only the CS3e as his only boom mic for years who retired it after buying a CS-M1 from me and using it.

9 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Now I’m even more curious. I like using my MKH 50 indoors and out, but wanted at least a little more distance.

That you will get, about 4-6 ft more useable reach as the CS-M1 has a slightly narrower pattern and gradual LF rolloff starting at about 100hz down to 40hz. There's nothing below 100hz you need for dialog so it's not a concern.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So, an CS-M1 and an CS-3e covers most bases, do you believe?

Keep the 416 around as well, the CS3e isn't flawless. 
I did one scene outdoors yesterday in the rain with a CS3e which had a couple of minor iffy moments with it, which in hindsight I perhaps should have just used the Deity S Mic 2 for instead. 

59 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

That you will get, about 4-6 ft more useable reach as the CS-M1 has a slightly narrower pattern

Gosh that sounds lovely.

I don’t usually like how Sanken shotguns sound (the low-end is overemphasized to my ears), but I’ll keep an open mind for this one. Wondering how far along Rycote is with developing the shock mount for it.

I have had mine for a month or so.

I have used it on my boom, with the Rycote Inv 7 suspension indoors using the XLR Barrel to lengthen it!, as well as plant mic in cars, and interior plant mic.

I have yet to try it outdoors, as I am waiting on Bubblebee XS Spacer kit to arrive. I will then try different suspensions with it.

So far I am loving it in every situation I have tried.

Normally I use a CS3 or CMIT5U, but the CS M1 has easily as much reach, and rear rejection as both of these.

It has a more self noise than CMIT5U, but that is to be expected I think given the price difference.

Overall it looks, and sounds to be a great all rounder!

10 minutes ago, Phil D said:

I have had mine for a month or so.

I have used it on my boom, with the Rycote Inv 7 suspension indoors using the XLR Barrel to lengthen it!, as well as plant mic in cars, and interior plant mic.

I have yet to try it outdoors, as I am waiting on Bubblebee XS Spacer kit to arrive. I will then try different suspensions with it.

So far I am loving it in every situation I have tried.

Normally I use a CS3 or CMIT5U, but the CS M1 has easily as much reach, and rear rejection as both of these.

It has a more self noise than CMIT5U, but that is to be expected I think given the price difference.

Overall it looks, and sounds to be a great all rounder!

Thank you for confirming what I have been saying about the CS-M1.

2 hours ago, r.paterson said:

Is anyone bothered it is a back electret rather than true condenser like other sanken models?..on paper self noise is higher than cs-1e but it does have higher output...

I do, a little, but if it works, then it works.

I would like to hear a bit more real experiences, especially for interferences (if I am using the right word), humid environments and the such.

@IronFilm 416 stays! It is a staple in my sound engineering life for far too long!

@Phil D kinda off topic, but do you know how this Bubblebee spacer compares to BBG? Really interesting and convinient design, but I have never seen one, or know anyone that have one. The XS could fit my Audixes too..

I have mine arrived , tested in home, I don;t really notice any big difference on condenser or ele, just how it sounds speak how really is it.
Sound not bad , not really very good rejection ,but not much colouring off axis. I plan to use it as plant mic or camera mic if necessary .Can 't really replace my 
main boom mic , mini cmit nor dap 4017b .As it is half price of it , u get what u pay. 

i don't think it is good enough for primary boom. or work horse boom.

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@IronFilm

@Phil D kinda off topic, but do you know how this Bubblebee spacer compares to BBG? Really interesting and convinient design, but I have never seen one, or know anyone that have one. The XS could fit my Audixes too..

Kisaha,

I have not tried BBG to compare, however I have Bubblebee spacer kits for both my CS3 and my CMIT5U and am extremely happy with them.

I no longer bother with my rycote cages.

40 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Most if not all of DPAs mics are pre-polarized...

they are all condenser mics. There is no true or false condenser

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. And they came development-wise from pre-polarised instrumentation mics from Bruel & Kjaer, who (possibly) pioneered pre-polar' electret design tested to ... several decades of re-calibration life. So whilst it is cheaper to produce a crap pre-polar a decent one will be good enough for Airbus, Boeing, NASA ...

Looks an interesting mic. Used the CS1 once, liked it.

17 hours ago, Ilari Sivil said:

I'm getting a bit more interested in this mic. How does it sound compared to let's say an MKH-50 or an Oktava MK-012?  If the side/rear rejection is good, this could be a very formidable contender for reality/documentary type work.

The CS-M1 is the same overall pattern (super cardioid) as the MKH 50 but a bit narrower which shows up as more useable reach. With it's built in non adjustable frequency response it has a bit less low end than the 50 as it remains fairly flat to 40hz. The CS-M1 also goes down to 40hz but it's about 10db down at that point as it's LF rolloff starts at about 100hz and rolls off 10db in a 60hz slope until 40hz. Quite honestly you'll never miss it for dialog. The rear rejection is superb, if you turn the rear of the CS towards the person speaking it sounds like they left the room. As an FYI, the latest information from Sanken says delivery to U.S. dealers should start at the end of this month (August) or early/mid September.