Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

I’ve been using the CSM1 in place of my CS3e for a couple of weeks now and I’m enjoying the sound and weight. Mostly docu-series material. Not too much swinging of the boom but when I do it’s been a joy to have the small profile when indoors with low ceilings. It’s sound matches my COS11s better than the MKh50 and it’s off axis rejection is great. It sounds closer in tone to a CS1 than my usual CS3e but now that I’ve moved to Sankens all around there appears (to my ears at least) a consistency between all my mics. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

• 4 weeks later...

I had a demo of the CS-M1 last week thanks to Gotham and I must say I'm impressed. Its a really great sounding mic. 

I had it up in several ADR sessions alongside my mainstay, the Sanken CS3e, so I could compare the two easily. It's definitely a bit brighter than the CS3e and has a bit less low end, but I found myself preferring that in quite a few situations because it mixed into the track even more readily. It's not as bright as the 416 or the CS1e (which is a good thing IMO), but has a nice air up top. When I mix in ADR, most often I dump some lows and add some brightness, so the CS-M1 had that already done for me. It definitely has the same sound quality of the CS3e, which is what I was unsure about. It had similar reach too, which is very impressive for what a tiny mic it is. The CS3e has a little more reach, but not much. The CS-M1 also has quite a hot output, needing less gain than the CS3e. 

I had demoed a Sanken CSR2 a couple of years back thinking that might be a backup to the CS3e and wasn't that impressed - it lacked the richness and fullness of the CS3e and I just didn't think it sounded that great. The CS-M1 has no such issues. I think its definitely a great tool and I plan to pick one up when they are back in stock!

-Mike

23 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

I had a demo of the CS-M1 last week thanks to Gotham and I must say I'm impressed. Its a really great sounding mic. 

I had it up in several ADR sessions alongside my mainstay, the Sanken CS3e, so I could compare the two easily. It's definitely a bit brighter than the CS3e and has a bit less low end, but I found myself preferring that in quite a few situations because it mixed into the track even more readily. It's not as bright as the 416 or the CS1e (which is a good thing IMO), but has a nice air up top. When I mix in ADR, most often I dump some lows and add some brightness, so the CS-M1 had that already done for me. It definitely has the same sound quality of the CS3e, which is what I was unsure about. It had similar reach too, which is very impressive for what a tiny mic it is. The CS3e has a little more reach, but not much. The CS-M1 also has quite a hot output, needing less gain than the CS3e. 

I had demoed a Sanken CSR2 a couple of years back thinking that might be a backup to the CS3e and wasn't that impressed - it lacked the richness and fullness of the CS3e and I just didn't think it sounded that great. The CS-M1 has no such issues. I think its definitely a great tool and I plan to pick one up when they are back in stock!

-Mike

It seems like a brilliant little mic, that worths being in ones arsenal.

Can you do a couple of tests in/outdoors for us living nowhere close any reachable Sanken dealership?

5 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

-Mike

I'm sad to say Mike but that is a terrible review for me. 

Because you're tempting me to do serious damage to my wallet!

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm sad to say Mike but that is a terrible review for me. 

Because you're tempting me to do serious damage to my wallet!

I am almost sold myself, and you know I am fighting G.A.S better than you!

I would like to hear some samples before buy though.

It could add nicely to my low to mid tier equipment list.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:22 AM, Kisaha said:

Can you do a couple of tests in/outdoors for us living nowhere close any reachable Sanken dealership?

I would love to but unfortunately I had to give it back to Gotham. When I get one for real (they are heavily backordered apparently) I will definitely do some more tests. 

-Mike

13 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

Now available a Rycote Zepp for the CS-M1, $88.00

Rycote Zepp for Sanken CS-M1.png

Based on the color, it looks like it has shore 82 Lyres which are meant for heavy mics to my understanding. I wonder why? Isn't the CS-M1 very light? I'm currently really interested in shock mounting solutions for very light mics, in part because of the CS-M1. Seems like a new type of challenge for manufacturers.

Hi Ilari,

yes, very light microphones are a challenge to suspend. The distance between the Lyres plays a huge role, too. With such a short body, the weight of a windshield is mainly carried by the first Lyre. The longer the body / distance gets, the more the second Lyre can support the first.  Therefore we had to go for the 82-shore in the front because it needs to be able to carry a Softie and most of the weight of the mic. The second Lyre had to be 82-shore to control the side movements. When you attach the Softie, you obviously have the main load before the first Lyre, and the body acts like a lever. Thus, the 2nd Lyre needs to be strong enough to keep the reinforced side movements under control.

However, we of course tested other combinations and mounts. This setup proofed to be the best compromise between suspension and mic control on the end of a 5m boom pole :)

Kindly

Timo

The CS-M1 by itself is quite light. The picture shows it with a Rycote softie on it though, which I'm sure adds some weight, and makes the system a bit front heavy. Just guessing here, but since it is such a small mic, stiffer lyres are probably needed to counteract the weight of the softie and balance the mic out. 

-Mike

40 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

It would be nice if Rycote offered a smaller sized BBG for the CS-M1.

Hi Eric,

Just curious, would you prefer a smaller diameter BBG over a WS-10? It's not that much longer than the CS-M1 with BBG and connector and provides a far better wind protection as it also covers the mic body and the connector.

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/windshield-ws-10/

A BBG might be tricky to mount and still have enough space for the Lyres.

The Windshield 10 kit sells for $600 here in the US. Not exactly an impulse buy.

3 hours ago, TimoK said:

Hi Eric,

Just curious, would you prefer a smaller diameter BBG over a WS-10? It's not that much longer than the CS-M1 with BBG and connector and provides a far better wind protection as it also covers the mic body and the connector.

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/windshield-ws-10/

A BBG might be tricky to mount and still have enough space for the Lyres.

Based on my experience with the BBG for MKH 50 mics, I'd take the BBG over almost anything else. Plus there's big difference in price between the WS-10 & a BBG.

1 hour ago, Eric Toline said:

The Windshield 10 kit sells for $600 here in the US. Not exactly an impulse buy.

Based on my experience with the BBG for MKH 50 mics, I'd take the BBG over almost anything else. Plus there's big difference in price between the WS-10 & a BBG.

Thank you for your honest feedback Eric, and glad to hear that you are happy with the BBG. I will look into this but as mentioned earlier, I have some doubts that the very short body would allow to hold two Lyres, and a BBG. Please bare with me to give it some thoughts. 

Cheers

Timo

17 hours ago, TimoK said:

Hi Ilari,

yes, very light microphones are a challenge to suspend. The distance between the Lyres plays a huge role, too. With such a short body, the weight of a windshield is mainly carried by the first Lyre. The longer the body / distance gets, the more the second Lyre can support the first.  Therefore we had to go for the 82-shore in the front because it needs to be able to carry a Softie and most of the weight of the mic. The second Lyre had to be 82-shore to control the side movements. When you attach the Softie, you obviously have the main load before the first Lyre, and the body acts like a lever. Thus, the 2nd Lyre needs to be strong enough to keep the reinforced side movements under control.

However, we of course tested other combinations and mounts. This setup proofed to be the best compromise between suspension and mic control on the end of a 5m boom pole :)

Kindly

Timo

Hello Timo,

I would like to congratulate you for your new position and job.

Regards,

V

4 hours ago, VAS said:

Hello Timo,

I would like to congratulate you for your new position and job.

Regards,

V

:) Thanks Vas, it's a new challenge and was a chance to work with some of the nicest people in our industry... Love it!!

Hope you're doing great, too, sir. 

23 hours ago, TimoK said:

Hi Ilari,

Kindly

Timo

Thanks for the great reply! Dealing with the weight and leverage of the softie makes sense.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, TimoK said:

Thank you for your honest feedback Eric, and glad to hear that you are happy with the BBG. I will look into this but as mentioned earlier, I have some doubts that the very short body would allow to hold two Lyres, and a BBG. Please bare with me to give it some thoughts. 

Cheers

Timo

I think that if you replaced the fur on the new windscreen for the CS-M1 with a BBG structure/frame of the same size you would have a winner in my mind.