Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, new member here. I am a cameraman out of Toronto.

I am buying my first shotgun mic and considering this model or the CS 1e or perhaps the MKH8060. Just to use both on camera and on static boom pole for sit down interviews. I am not looking to own several mic, just wanted advice of what you think of these 3 models in term of versatility for the kind of use described.

My concern with the CS M1 is that it might be too small to sit properly on a camera clamp and the lack of accesories so far.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, heguy said:

I am buying my first shotgun mic and considering this model or the CS 1e or perhaps the MKH8060. Just to use both on camera and on static boom pole for sit down interviews. I am not looking to own several mic, just wanted advice of what you think of these 3 models in term of versatility for the kind of use described.

My concern with the CS M1 is that it might be too small to sit properly on a camera clamp and the lack of accesories so far.

Thanks!

Is there a reason you can't try the various mics to see how you like what you hear or how they fit on your camera?  What camera?  They are both very nice mics. 

9 hours ago, heguy said:

You could always get a different camera shock mount. Or wrap a few layers of tape around the base of a mic to make it thicker for mounting with. Easily solved.

Note that the one Eric shows is an INV-7HG MKIII.

The original INV-7 -- still a best-selling item -- has two lyres that can be located at any of 3 different spacings: 2-3/4", 1-3/4", or 1".

Either works fine with this mic, and many others.

INV-7 -- (Rycote part no. 041107)

INV-7HG MKIII -- (Rycote part no. 041118)

22 hours ago, heguy said:

Thanks!

I, too, am between the 2 Sanken's.

There are plenty of aforementioned solutions from all makers. Bubblebee Spacer XS fits, a few Rycote solutions, (WS10 probably)/a Rycote special for Sanken (including the softie) and the most advanced idea I have seen, that can be mounted easily on a camera, the Cinela Cosi (watch the video).

23 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Is there a reason you can't try the various mics to see how you like what you hear or how they fit on your camera?  What camera?  They are both very nice mics. 

Hey Glen, thanks for the reply. I don't own the cameras, each projects is a different one. Sometimes, FS7, C300mk2, Sone F55, Alexa mini, you name it. I was mostly wanted to ask working sound recordist their thoughts on the sonic quality and versatility between those 3 models.

Is there a difference sound wise between say the CS-1e and the M1 besides the 3 shorter inches?

Trying to try the mics in TO isnt happening, Trew or Audio Services dont have those 3 in stock or rental.

20 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You could always get a different camera shock mount. Or wrap a few layers of tape around the base of a mic to make it thicker for mounting with. Easily solved.

My main concern isnt the accesories but thoughts on versatility/sonic quality between those 3 mics. Wanted to know if somebody owns them or 2 of them and can tell me interior vs exterior performance for interviews? Thanks

21 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Note that the one Eric shows is an INV-7HG MKIII.

What is the benefits of this one over the original INV-7? (which I have myself)

13 hours ago, heguy said:

I was mostly wanted to ask working sound recordist their thoughts on the sonic quality and versatility between those 3 models.

What matters far far far more than the differences between them, is the position of the mics themselves and the person using them.

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What is the benefits of this one over the original INV-7? (which I have myself)

What matters far far far more than the differences between them, is the position of the mics themselves and the person using them.

The HG is "harder" so can put a softie in front, I have the 7 and is too "soft" even for more basic configurations.

I will probably buy just the HG lyres and replace them on the mount.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The HG is "harder" so can put a softie in front, I have the 7 and is too "soft" even for more basic configurations.

I will probably buy just the HG lyres and replace them on the mount.

Be aware that you can "mix and match" regular single lyres for hardness (and therefore, stiffness). 

INV-7 come with 72 shore lyres.  Also available are 62 shore (lighter -- can be good to use on the rear ), and 82 shore (gray and harder). 

Sorry to hijack the recent conversation but just wanted to let people know. I have been using the CS-M1 with the Zax ZMT 3.5 Phantom 2 and have had digial intermodulation or interference. I'm told you can have cables made to get rid of this but they need to be block specific. I'm not getting it with any of my othr mics (Sennheiser, Schoeps) just the Sanken.

Is anybody using the A10's and are you getting the same results?

Bill

10 hours ago, Bill McMillan said:

Sorry to hijack the recent conversation but just wanted to let people know. I have been using the CS-M1 with the Zax ZMT 3.5 Phantom 2 and have had digial intermodulation or interference. I'm told you can have cables made to get rid of this but they need to be block specific. I'm not getting it with any of my othr mics (Sennheiser, Schoeps) just the Sanken.

Is anybody using the A10's and are you getting the same results?

Bill

You are not hijacking. This is a very important aspect, and the microphone it is so new that we need all the experiences we can get.

What is your opinion about the reach, acoustic quality, indoors vs outdoors, this vs other well known mics?

What mounting and air protecting accessories are you using?

Here is a post I made in another thread.

Today we have given the CS-M1 a really good run. I did a scene where we swung the on camera with the Sanken and then the off camera with the MKH 50. The CS-M1 has much more gain to it and deffinetly opens up the room more. Not in a bad way but it does have more top end to it than the 50. For sure it has more reach than a 50. In cases where I may have been tempted to reach for the wire to add a little fill on the actor starting deep and coming to camera I can let the Sanken reach for it. A very well respected mixer I know often refers to the fact that "perspective is now almost a thing of the past, well with the CS-M1 I'm now more tempted to play it.

We then did the on camera again with the Sanken and the off camera with a CMIT 5U deffinetly a better match. So maybe The Sanken is more like a Schoeps.

The biggest down fall is the indoor foam sock that comes with the Sanken. It is useless for any kind of quick swing or even a light swing across a room. You definietly want to beef that up.

I'm using it with the Rycote INV-Lite 19. Maybe not the best mount for it but it's all my local dealer had at the time to fit it. It may be contributing to the wind noise due to the two metal rods. I know you can get a rubber dam to slide over the rods but black gaffer tape is a lot cheaper and does the same thing.

I was very impressed with it out side as well. I used it in a WS 2 and found it to have a very natural sound.

As many people have said before there is no "one" mic for all occasions the new Sanken CS-M1 is a great little mic and just one more tool in the drawer. You have to make the choice as to which mic works best for the scene and that particular actor.

5 hours ago, Sound Intuition said:

Here is a post I made in another thread.

Today we have given the CS-M1 a really good run. I did a scene where we swung the on camera with the Sanken and then the off camera with the MKH 50. The CS-M1 has much more gain to it and deffinetly opens up the room more. Not in a bad way but it does have more top end to it than the 50. For sure it has more reach than a 50. In cases where I may have been tempted to reach for the wire to add a little fill on the actor starting deep and coming to camera I can let the Sanken reach for it. A very well respected mixer I know often refers to the fact that "perspective is now almost a thing of the past, well with the CS-M1 I'm now more tempted to play it.

We then did the on camera again with the Sanken and the off camera with a CMIT 5U deffinetly a better match. So maybe The Sanken is more like a Schoeps.

The biggest down fall is the indoor foam sock that comes with the Sanken. It is useless for any kind of quick swing or even a light swing across a room. You definietly want to beef that up.

I'm using it with the Rycote INV-Lite 19. Maybe not the best mount for it but it's all my local dealer had at the time to fit it. It may be contributing to the wind noise due to the two metal rods. I know you can get a rubber dam to slide over the rods but black gaffer tape is a lot cheaper and does the same thing.

I was very impressed with it out side as well. I used it in a WS 2 and found it to have a very natural sound.

As many people have said before there is no "one" mic for all occasions the new Sanken CS-M1 is a great little mic and just one more tool in the drawer. You have to make the choice as to which mic works best for the scene and that particular actor.

What about reflections indoors? Is it "behaving" similar to an MKH50?

And what about outdoors, does it "cut" it through the noises?

• 3 months later...