Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

I just bought a pair for doing face to face interviews in and I'm really impressed. I had sort a blah reaction to a CS-1e I bought years ago and quickly sold, so I was a little skeptical at first. Overall I'm blown away by the amount of off axis rejection for such a small mic.

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Why did you feel "blah" about the CS1e?

It's been so long since I've used one, but I just remember not really liking the microphone for it's sound quality at the time. I was probably used to that growly Sennheiser sound, and thought the CS-1e was too flat compared to the 416. It's been awhile since then and I've really come to love working with CMITs and other  flatter mics. Just tastes I guess.

• 3 months later...

So - do you guys see good value in the Cinela Cosi ($529) for this mic, at 4x the price of the rycote softie kit ($129)? How severe do the conditions need to be for you wish you had the Cosi? 

Has anyone had both out in the field for comparison?

Cheers

Adam

I am about to order the mic with the Cosi. Seems like the most dependable option.

I am expecting it to perform almost like a Rode or Rycote blimp outside but unfortunately won't be an ideal solution for inside, which is a pity.

All in all, I am expecting to use the combo as a run n gun solution for in/out.

I will come back with more when I receive it.

Back closer to subject,

My paper analysis of the CS-M1 indicated that it's response is very similar but

wider than the CS-1 with the added advantage of a better bass roll off.

Ideal for interiors and numerous actors.

I never liked the CS-3 but love my CS-1 and CS-2 (quite hot, with reach and sharpness,

plus my CSS-5 for atmospheres and sound fx.

mike

• 2 months later...

I am using the Sanken CS-M1 for a few days now and my first impression is..WOW!

Low self noise, hot output, very controled handling noise, great tonal characterestics.

I am using its foam or Bubblebee Spacer kit for indoors and very light stuff and Cinela Cosi for outside.

I need some more time with it as I am using a lot of other microphones at the moment, but it definitely is a heavy weight production tool of 55grams!

I think it is a steal for the price.

I paid more for wind protection than the mic itself!

• 1 month later...

I am doing a comedy right now and people are really really loud. I noticed there is some distortion when people shouting and in reverberant places even when I go from, let's say to 2 and a half/3 (on a scale of 10) when usually I play from 5-7.

What do you people think? Do I have to send it to Sanken or is it normal? Does anyone else have similar experience?

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am doing a comedy right now and people are really really loud. I noticed there is some distortion when people shouting and in reverberant places even when I go from, let's say to 2 and a half/3 (on a scale of 10) when usually I play from 5-7.

What do you people think? Do I have to send it to Sanken or is it normal? Does anyone else have similar experience?

Learn proper gain staging. 

Thank you guys. The microphone is really sensitive.

Have more issues with very very deep male voices, especially coupled with the Cosi.

I dared to ask if any other owner have/had any issues, I remember the CS3 and the Sennheiser 80 series had some issues upon release.

To elaborate on my previous succinct comment...

Gain Staging isn't just about setting proper levels, it's about making sure that each stage of circuitry is set to benefit from optimum dynamic range. That includes any circuits prior to your gain-setting stage. 

Just like a chain can break if it has only one weak link, your signal can distort if it has any over-driven amplifier stage within the signal path. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read in a FB group post yesterday that at a recent event in the UK ("Sound Pro") these mics had a blind comparison people could compare: "DPA4017 / mini CMIT / MKH8060 and Sanken CS-M1"

The CSM1 was the clear winner with 60% choosing the Sanken!

The CSM1 really does seem to have been the hot new mic release of 2019, tempted to get one to go with my CS3e/CS1e

On 9/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, Kisaha said:

Low self noise, hot output, very controled handling noise, great tonal characterestics.

CS-M1 is indeed a great microphone, but I wouldn't say it has a low self noise. That's its main, and probably only disadvantage. Compared to a KM185 or a MKH60, it is much more audible. You won't probably hear it outdoor, but you might be annoyed in a quiet indoor. I haven't tried other short shotguns though.
I totally agree what you say about handling noise and tonal characteristics. CS-M1 + Cinela Cosi combo is very pleasant to work with.
Very hot output also, but no distortion in my case.
Best,
Tristan

6 hours ago, Pontec said:

CS-M1 is indeed a great microphone, but I wouldn't say it has a low self noise. That's its main, and probably only disadvantage. Compared to a KM185 or a MKH60, it is much more audible. You won't probably hear it outdoor, but you might be annoyed in a quiet indoor. I haven't tried other short shotguns though.
I totally agree what you say about handling noise and tonal characteristics. CS-M1 + Cinela Cosi combo is very pleasant to work with.
Very hot output also, but no distortion in my case.
Best,
Tristan

I regularly use my two CS-M1’s for ADR in quiet indoor environments (such as an ADR stage), and I have no complaints about the self noise. It is a brighter mic than a lot of others, and the self noise reflects this as well, as it is higher pitched than other mics which may make it more audible. In practice though I’ve never had an issue, especially since the hot output means you need less gain on the mic. 

-Mike

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, Rick Reineke said:

Sanken states the max SPL as 137dB, so I doubt a loud voice is clipping the mic. It also has a sensitivity spec of 79mV (very high compared to most shotguns), so it's likely over-driving the subsequent preamp of other input stage. I'd take a real close look at the chain and settings.

My microphone isn't performing to this specification. Like @Kisaha I have been experiencing a fair amount of clipping at the microphone as well.  Virtually anytime I get a good yell, laugh, whatever. It's not a gain staging problem. I use the 633 and I don't even know how to clip this recorder if you have limiters on. It's the mic.

I'll be reaching out to a Sanken rep in the new year to investigate (and testing at length with some other hardware)...

• 2 weeks later...

I tested my mic against another unit. Same level of sensitivity to capsule overload. Happens at any gain level and regardless of preamp. 
Sort of disappointing because it really means I can’t count on it in very loud/dynamic situations, eg even a seated interview with a loud laugher!

I would love to hear some other testers chime in on the subject. 

Best

Adam

I've had my cs-m1 distort when filming a BTS video for a music video and he was a power metal type vocal, I had two different gains set and still had some distortion with headroom left on my levels.

I haven't tested further, as it was plugged directly into my C200, and I chalked it up to the lower quality preamps... it's on my list of things to do, testing it with my Zaxcom Maxx. Haven't had any down time !

I’ve been using this mic as my standard on the end of a pole since it was released with zero issues of overload like you describe. My situations are intensely varied and unpredictable— with laughing, whispering and a (more often than I would prefer) cacophony of screaming children. 

Cheers,

Evan